LegacyGT.com

Does this sound like a bad rear axle?

Hey all. I have a thunking or knocking sound coming from my right rear wheel well that increases with speed. It goes away when braking or accelerating or making turns left or right. There is absolutely a vibration that matches the sound. I don’t think it’s a wheel bearing, and I don’t think it’s rub because it stops when I mention the above. Before I take a guess and throw a new axle at it I thought I’d ask. Also, I was planning to get remanufactured from oriellys or similar. I just so happen to need to do the front right axle too. Might as well do both.

Cheers!

FWIW, my wagon at 255,000 miles still have the axles it came with. Last year I had them checked by a tranny repair shop and he said they are fine and have no issues.

IMO you might want to check your end links on the rear sway bar.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Just yesterday I jacked the car up and checked it out. Nothing seemed loose when checked by hand. I don’t think it was the lug nuts but maybe? Either way I’ll need a new hub now. Trying to decide if I should do it or my shop. I have to make a decision in 30 minutes.

No new hub. Just disassemble the parking brake, knock out the studs, and replace them and the nuts. Should be about $40 total from the stealership. Or you can replace with standard parts from Napa or whatever. OEM is preferable.

If they were on tight they would not have sheared off. The wheel being loose is the only explanation. A good indication is to look at the lug holes in the rim. They will be marred and possibly elongated.

Like others have mentioned it's most likely just lug nuts that came loose. I'm going to venture a guess that the lugs that remained tight were next too each other? I had a very similar thumping sound and vibration after I did my rear brakes and it was because I forgot to probably torque my lugs on one wheel haha.

Usually if an axle is going to go you can hear it clicking. Sounds like you just need to replace the studs and ensure the lugs are torqued. Also just to be on the safe side, retorque them after some driving to ensure they didn't back off

FWIW, when the wheel is in the air I tighten the nuts with an 18V impact wrench, which guarantees they're tight enough to seat the wheel properly but also guarantees they're under-torqued. Then when the wheel is on the ground I use a torque wrench. This gets perfect results every time but requires the discipline to remember to torque the nuts after dropping the car off the jacks.

I’ve gotten in the habit of being careless and using an impact gun to tighten and loosen. That’s why I assumed they were on tight.

The good ol' chugga chugga torque spec ;)

But yeah they were probably overtorqued and broke off. Funny enough had a few trucks at work have the same issue and we found the tire shop that they get worked on at have been torquing the lugs to over 200ft-lbs

Archived