LegacyGT.com

How do YOU disconnect LCA from ball joint?

Cincy05LGT

How do you guys prefer to pop the lower control arms off the ball joints? I tried doing this last week to pull the front axles out of the tranny during my clutch install. No dice.

1) Remove cotter pin

2) Remove castle nut

3) Disconnect sway bar endlink

4) Tried jacking up the brake rotor, used a dead blow mallet, neither side would drop.

Take out the bolt that holds the ball joint into the knuckle.

From the front of the car, slide a big prybar/crowbar/pipe (has to be strong or it will bend) between the control and knuckle and slide it up till it rest's under the chassis.

Pull down really hard and it will pop out.

I have a walk thru here some where with some good disscussion. I just need to find it.

I use a 1/2" impact gun to remove the castle nut, AFTER removing ALL the cotter pin. Put the nut back on the stud.

Then hit the LCA with a 5lb Hammer after a few hits try and pry the LCA down. Hit it a few more times try again.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

you can just use a truck pitman arm puller. it will pop the ball joint out of the LCA with no damage to the grease boot on the ball joint and you dont have to worry about damaging you lca or brake rotor.

use this - [ame=http://www.amazon.com/OTC-8150-Conical-Pitman-Puller/dp/B00061SMS0]Amazon.com: OTC 8150 Conical Pitman Arm Puller: Automotive[/ame]

A ball-joint fork is also known as a Pickle fork, right?

I plan on using a pitman puller when I do mine in the next few weeks.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

How do you guys prefer to pop the lower control arms off the ball joints? I tried doing this last week to pull the front axles out of the tranny during my clutch install. No dice.

1) Remove cotter pin

2) Remove castle nut

3) Disconnect sway bar endlink

4) Tried jacking up the brake rotor, used a dead blow mallet, neither side would drop.

How tough was it to get the cotter pin back in?

When we upgraded my LCA buehings we left the ball joint on the car. All we did was remove the pin and bolt.

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

• 3 years later...

Folks I know that this thread is old but thought i'd try..

The pinch bolt broke off in my steering knuckle! ON BOTH SIDES!!

I tried drilling the bolt shaft out with hardened drill bits. no luck.

Ideas, suggestions?

Folks I know that this thread is old but thought i'd try..

The pinch bolt broke off in my steering knuckle! ON BOTH SIDES!!

I tried drilling the bolt shaft out with hardened drill bits. no luck.

Ideas, suggestions?

I heard this bolt was a real pain, so I've been spraying it with solvent whenever I have the wheels off to rotate tires or check the brakes. I don't look forward to bad news.

• 2 weeks later...
I know I'm late on this discussion but you should never use a pickle fork to pop ball joints unless you plan on replacing them. A 3 or 5 pound mini sledgehammer and sometimes a pry bar like someone else mentioned is the way to go.

• 4 weeks later...

I feel like I might have briefly tried pulling the axle by just disconnecting the strut from the knuckle, and it didn't give me enough clearance to pull the axle from the wheel bearing. I might be wrong though, this was around a year ago and I forget exactly what I did. If you are able to remove it that way, then that is definitely the easiest way to do it I would think.

I should also add that I didn't want to twist and contort the axle too much since I'm not sure how flexible they are at the wheel bearing end.

Archived