LegacyGT.com

Do I Dare buy with these codes??

Cbrown801

I'm looking at an 02 Legacy with great mileage in good condition for what i believe is a great price. But.. the seller is saying it has the following CEL codes

- p0340 (cam shaft actuator circuit), p0301/p0303/p0304 (misfire)

I have gone through several previous posts on this forum but I'm having a hard time finding a straight answer. Ive seen that it could be as simple as tightening the ground wire to as complex as needing a head gasket and timing belt replacement. Has anyone had these same codes and actually the issues fixed? I believe it should be just replacement of the cam shaft sensor but im looking for any advice on this issue to see if I would be making a mistake buying into this with the known issues? I am very mechanically able to do just about anything but very economically challenged (I'm broke) thank you in advance for any information. I look forward to being a part of the forum as a new Subaru owner

S

"i'm broke" and "has codes" are usually the worst combination of subaru to buy. You could get lucky and tighten a few fasteners to get a running car. 99.999% of the time, though, you're buying new parts.

If it has all those codes, you'll be buying alot of electrical parts and probably a harness.

well - it would be good if you could do some basic diagnostic checks on the car - if you can, if the harness looks good, maybe put a wrench on the bolts for the bracket, and installation bolt for the sensor itself and see if they're tight - if they are, and you can ohm out the sensor, then see if it is indeed bad. It's not a cheap part per se (p/n 22056AA063 I think - MSRP is $122.60) but it should be pretty easy to replace. It could very well be that is the cause of the misfires, but you won't know until you address it.

What are they asking for it? I would be concerned if it's much more than 1400 or so (based on edmunds)

Capture.thumb.JPG.a58d9bdac89a57b6e3830e47637d8417.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

My 2007 legacy have same problem except , only P0304 ,

trouble shooting through, and give up send Subaru Dealer ,

got report that # 4 cylinder had leak , estimate cost $10,000 for repair

They say not worth fix it.

Car is good shape, Looking for goos repair shop now.

My 2007 legacy have same problem except , only P0304 ,

trouble shooting through, and give up send Subaru Dealer ,

got report that # 4 cylinder had leak , estimate cost $10,000 for repair

They say not worth fix it.

Car is good shape, Looking for goos repair shop now.

10,000$ is engine replacement costs. We, forum members, call this code: #ynansb

welcome to the club. From here on out, you'll be spending money like it's raining money. And, no, you won't be the first to "show us all". Best of luck

Start your thread in this section: https://legacygt.com/forums/forumdisplay.php/engine-rebuild-threads-engines-only-142.html

Burnt valve on #4 is how I acquired 2011GT (which I fixed and sold this year), the prior owner got a $11k repair quote. A burnt valve is a good project for someone who is mechanically inclined and doesn't mind a project. It is not cost effective to pay a mechanic to fix it compare to the value of the car. If you do fix it paying mechanic rates, you better love the car and plan on keeping it for a longterm.

• 2 weeks later...