LegacyGT.com

DIY rear sway bar reinforcement

I recently put a 20mm whiteline rear bar on my 09 3.0r with moog end links and really wanted to finish it all off with the avo bracket reinforcements but being 19 and working minimum wage I just couldn't do it. So I decided to try my hand at making myself a set. From looking at pictures of the AVO ones I got an idea of what I needed to do and cut out all the pieces out of some 1/8in sheet metal and some 1 1/4 pipe with a thick washer welded on one end for the subrame mounting bolt. I bolted the pipe into the subframe mount and the flat piece to the bushing mount and tacked them together on the car, took them off and weleded them up. Heres the finished product, all in all this cost me materials and a few hours of work.

IMG_2371.thumb.JPG.139f2bfd02137f6d410e19c989db5ed1.JPG

IMG_2372.thumb.JPG.99fa34716e97a660d4f192c7407a3c57.JPG

you considering making a few extra sets ;) ????

good work, thanks for the pics.

Yes I actually may make up a jig and make a couple sets up and see what happens, I'm thinking about making a chassis brace next time I can get the car up on a lift for a few hours.

Since there seems to be some interest I might make 5-10 sets if I can come up with a jig that will keep everything in place where it needs to be, the only thing that you would need to do to install these differently than the AVO ones is the subframe bolt that attaches the bracket is just slightly larger than the tubing that I could find. so instead of having there be a massive space around the bolt head I chose to take a little bit of material off of the flared part of the bolt to have a nice snug fitting bracket. The amount you have to take off the flare of the bolt is very small, probably around 1mm off the diameter. Just wanted to let you guys know that ahead of time.

He's just saying the tube where you bolt up the bracket is a little tight (the tube that is) and that bolt that goes into the tube would need a little trimming on the edges to make it fit right. Ideally, if he could find a 1 - 2mm larger tube, then there shouldn't be an issue of the bolt.
My wife's balls are delicious.

Several years ago when it took forever for me to receive my AVO mounts I though about having some made and selling them.

Great job OP. make a couple dozen you should be to sell them no problem.

Archived