LegacyGT.com

Where to disconnect exhaust?

Ok, newbie here, just bought a '10 LGT with a bad engine. Son and I are attempting to remove to get it repaired. Followed a bunch of YouTube videos but most are for pre '10 LGT or non-turbo '10 and later Legacys so none seem to show where I should be disconnecting the exhaust. Much rust in exhaust area, lower heat shield just fell off when I touched it. I tried to remove nuts (QTY: 2) that attach long exhaust pipe to larger diameter short curved tube, nuts are now rusty cylinders, no grip. They appear to be on threaded studs that have no features to remove them. Might be able to get to QTY:6 nuts that attach exhaust manifolds to block but this would seem to not quite accomplish full separation. Can someone who has worked on this version LGT provide some much needed guidance. I might be able to cut the QTY: 2 rusted nuts off (die grinder on one, saws-all on the other, is this my best bet?? Thanks

It is easiest to unbolt the turbo and manifold as a unit and remove that first. If that is too difficult you can undo the exhaust flange that comes off the short Jpipe leaving the turbo, that should be only two bolts.

If you don't have it yet look for the factory service manual available for download from a variety of sources. You may even look up some vacation pics on this forum.

Two bolt after the catalytic converter is how the service manual instructs to remove the engine. If those are rusty the end of the pipe where the cat back exhaust attaches

Thanks, looks like I've got to cut the studs off then replace them on the forward cat + 2 new nuts before reinstalling engine. Can get the grinder in to get the easier one, going to get a pneumatic saw to get the other as my saws-all is just too big.

Guess I should splurge on a service manual but am 90% thru yanking this thing, but do appreciate the info on getting me through the remaining 10%.

Thanks, looks like I've got to cut the studs off then replace them on the forward cat + 2 new nuts before reinstalling engine. Can get the grinder in to get the easier one, going to get a pneumatic saw to get the other as my saws-all is just too big.

Guess I should splurge on a service manual but am 90% thru yanking this thing, but do appreciate the info on getting me through the remaining 10%.

Hard to "splurge" when its available at no cost...;)