LegacyGT.com

Difference between 2.5i and gt?

Other than the turbo/power what other performance aspects are changed/upgraded? Such as brakes, suspention, handling. Is the engine internals the same or are they uped for the turbo?

Basically Im thinking about getting a 2.5i for daily use and was just wondering if the gt was just a added turbo kit to the 2.5i? Or if its just a better car overall with more power?

Thanks, new here.

Appreciate the help

engine is different

not worth adding turbo later on on the 'i' and if you do you would not be able to make as much power as the 'gt'

if you have the money get the gt if you are looking for power, also keep in mind if you are looking at used cars. consider the turbo as a wear item as in it will eventually will need to be replaced. how many miles? no tell, some have gone over 120k with stock turbo and still working, some replace at 60k

5eat downshift rev match:):wub:

Powder coated wheels: completed:)

Also, depending on how you drive, you can get some pretty decent MPGs from the GT. But after reading the forums for a bit, you will most likely end up getting a DP and tune and and start developing a heavy right foot, leading to decreased MPGs and an increase in fun.

everything is different. Get what you want.

Yes, everything.

Seriously, at minimum;

Brakes

Rear LSD

Most everything engine related (it is not a turbo attached to the NA motor. . . .)

If you buy an automatic, they are different units (I don't knwo if the 5-speed manuals have differences).

If you want a GT, buy a GT. If you put a turbo on a 2.5i, you'll just wish you had a GT.

Yes, everything.

Seriously, at minimum;

Brakes

Rear LSD

Most everything engine related (it is not a turbo attached to the NA motor. . . .)

If you buy an automatic, they are different units (I don't knwo if the 5-speed manuals have differences).

If you want a GT, buy a GT. If you put a turbo on a 2.5i, you'll just wish you had a GT.

The differentials used are transmission related. A 5mt 2.5i N/A should have the same viscous rear LSD as a 5MT GT.

There is a reason the turbo kit for the 2.5i costs upwards of $3k. That set up was never intended to run boosted.

If you want a GT, get the GT. If you want a good, solid, awd daily driver that's going to be reliable, get the 2.5i.

you will find out 90% of people on this forum dont even own a lgt they just wish they did. your better off just test driving the both and go with what you like. remember the mpg is pretty crapy in the lgt i only get 23.1

you will find out 90% of people on this forum dont even own a lgt they just wish they did. your better off just test driving the both and go with what you like. remember the mpg is pretty crapy in the lgt i only get 23.1

:worldssmallestviolin:

Research the vehicle before you buy it and cry about it. Gas mileage isn't that bad.:rolleyes:

Turbo powertrain 10k + threads

NA powertrain 1k + threads

Not understanding the community? PRICELESS.

There is no chance in hell 90% of people on this forum are diving N/A. 90% of Legacies were NA sure but most NA owners could not care less about mods or a Legacy forum.

remember the mpg is pretty crapy in the lgt i only get 23.1
Man, haters gonna hate! The LGT is actually par for the course in terms of AWD Sport Sedans:

2008 Legacy 2.5i: 20City/27 Highway (regular fuel, not premium)

2008 LGT: 19/24

2008 BMW 328xi and 335xi: 17/25

2008 BMW 535xi: 16/25

2008 Audi A4 Quattro: 20/28

2008 Volvo S60 AWD: 18/26

OP: If you have the slightest interest in modding beyond some wheels and a suspension, go with a LGT or a Spec B if you can find one. There is a ton of aftermarket support for the LGT and almost none for the 2.5i If you don't want to put premium gas in your car go with the 2.5i. The turbo cars have different suspension/drive-train set ups to handle the difference in power (I can't believe the 2.5i does not have a LSD in back! That would be a deal breaker for me). If you do not properly maintain your cars please go with the 2.5i... turbos need a little extra TLC to be happy.

For some reason I feel someone posted to a Honda forum to come on here and cause trouble..

OP, the 2.5i is basically an entire different car from the GT.... if you think power is ever going to be in your future, go with the GT... don't get a 2.5i, spend $3+k on a turbo kit, and be up to the performance of a stock GT with no more room to upgrade..

It's also a 3600lb sedan and not in the same class as a little crapbox Civic, so don't expect the mileage on either is going to be anywhere out of the 20s...

The GT is a better car in almost all categories...

In all honesty, I was considering posting something like this. I currently own an 07 LGT and am considering adding a 2.5i to the family and using the GT as my go-fast on the weekend play car. My 2.5i would be my daily driver.

Some of the questions I had:

Will the swaybars taken off the LGT fit the 2.5i?

If I bought a big brake kit for my LGT, could I put the old calipers and rotors on the 2.5i?

Can a LSD be added to the rear of the 2.5i?

^yes to all 3 of your questions but

1. this will only work with the rear swaybar

2. 100% yes

3. yes. if you are doing a full unit swap, make sure the unit from the GT has the same gear ratio as the 2.5i had or you will have to swap your 2.5i ring and pinion in.

• I Donated
The differentials used are transmission related. A 5mt 2.5i N/A should have the same viscous rear LSD as a 5MT GT.

Well, even if you were right, which you're not (about either assertion), I'm pretty sure the 2.5i uses a non-reinforced version of the 5MT.

Also, more differences between 2.5i and 2.5GT:

ECU on 2.5GT is far more tunable (surprise?)

Electroluminescent gauges on 2.5GT

Trim differences in interior (Momo wheel and shift knob, cold weather package)

Larger wheels to go with the bigger brakes

Hood is compatible with a TMIC

Auto climate control (although honestly, this is kind of a liability when you want to upgrade the headunit, because it and the headunit are one piece)

Other stuff?

Well, even if you were right, which you're not (about either assertion), I'm pretty sure the 2.5i uses a non-reinforced version of the 5MT.

Auto climate control (although honestly, this is kind of a liability when you want to upgrade the headunit, because it and the headunit are one piece)

Other stuff?

The 2.5i limited has 17" wheels, cold weather package, same interior trim as the GT and auto climate control.

JDM Legacy GT wagon 2.0 turbo diesel.

The details in his description under his name gave it away :iam:

Not JDM / Not GT - 2010 (5th Gen) Euro 2.0 H4 Turbo-diesel Legacy Wagon (left-hand drive).

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Other stuff?

The 2.5i and the 2.5T (LGT) use the same reinforced transmission housing for all 4th gen Legacys/Outbacks.

The gear-ratios/final drives between the 2.5i and 2.5GT Legacys are different and so the rear diffs are not the same ratios (from an LSD nor from a ratio perspective)

2005 2.5i Legacy 5MT

1st 3.454

2nd 2.062

3rd 1.448

4th 1.088

5th .780

Rear Diff (non-LSD): 3.90

Compared to the

2005 2.5GT 5MT

1st 3.166

2nd 1.882

3rd 1.296

4th .972

5th .738

Rear Diff (LSD): 4.111

There were some subsequent changes to the gear ratios to make better use of the VF46-huffed 2.5GT power delivery, and none of the above really addresses the drivetrain (transmissions and final drive) differences between the LGT and the 07+ LGT Spec Bs.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Yes I wasnt considering adding a turbo to a 2.5i. Just wonted to know how much better the gt was.

Honestly, I like the looks of the 2.5i better. I like on most every car a 5 spoke 17s. They look better to my eyes than 6 spoke 18s. And the cleaner look with out the hood scoop. The 2.5 looks more apealing, its just kinda slow.

Id get the gt if they wernt rare and I could find one with low millage. Let a lone a manual. So my odds are slim to none.

Archived