LegacyGT.com

Dealer's won't install STI Pinks?

Triple Digits

I was in for my first oil change this morning (3,441 miles) and I asked for a total package quote on the STI Pinks - part/installation/alignment if necessary - and the SA immediately segued into how they wouldn't do the installation and how any modification would void my waranty.

The whole waranty diatribe aside, I was surprised not only at the total modification aversion, but at the refusal of Subaru Service to install a Subaru part on a Subaru.

Is this the way it is at all Subaru dealerships?

I was talking to the Manager at my dealer here in Canada, and he told me that all of them have received an email indicating that they are not to install ANYTHING on the cars that are not OEM spec'd FOR THAT CAR.. This includes Wheels and Tires.. Should they see these installed, then they are to void the warranty on the spot.

I don't know if the US Dealers got this as well, however it would not surprise me.

Is it that there's an overwhelming prejudice against modding and a definte tendancy towards warranty voiding at the dealership?

Not for nothing - another dealership/another brand and all, but the tech's used to come over to check out the mods and even the SM's official position was "if it isn't causing a problem, it isn't a problem."

How paranoid do I need to be about this with Subaru?

it really varies a fair amount depending on the dealership. but if something serious were to go wrong (i.e. $$$) you can pretty much count on them denying warranty coverage - that's part of the deal with modding. that is, unless you have an extraordinarily good relationship with them. IMHO.
getting out of the legacy game :cool:

tires is absolutely the stupidest reason ever. "Your water pump failed at 3,000 miles, but since you have aftermarket tires in the stock size and load rating, we're denying your warranty."

there's no way they'd ever be able to make that stand up.

tires is absolutely the stupidest reason ever. "Your water pump failed at 3,000 miles, but since you have aftermarket tires in the stock size and load rating, we're denying your warranty."

there's no way they'd ever be able to make that stand up.

Before there were laws on aftermarket parts voiding warranties dealers would say things like that. I used to be big into the Jeep comunity years ago, and they would blame a lift kit for a radio problem.

where did you ask?

I'm wondering, as i bought mine at Mitchell Subaru in Canton, CT, and was wondering their attitude toward modding.

The only dealer i know of in CT is in Torington right off RT 8 exit 45 next to the Mobile station and infront of K-Mart. never actualy been in there but I have gotten gas and snacks there before many times. :lol:

Subaru is pretty mod-unfriendly. It has been that way ever since the WRX came out. The 2.5RS drivers had some problems, but they didn't have it as bad as we all do now that the WRX is out.

But, it also depends on the dealership/techs. I think they are not allowed to install anything but OEM spec'd equipment. But we've found a few that work around it, sometimes. Some of the techs are smart enough to realize that springs shouldn't void your powertrain waranty, so they'll help you out the best they can.

My roommate had a white "B" sticker on the back of his car one day when he went in for service on his 02 WRX. He had the "B" on, because he was in the "B" group on a caravan drive around Northern California.

Anyways, when he went in for service, the dealer voided his waranty and black flagged him in the system. Their reasoning, he was "trying to make a Group B rally car". This was before he did any major mods, so their justification was the sticker.

But, at the same dealership with a different tech, another friend of mine had a blown strut replaced, and the car was on STi pinks. The tech decided to ignore that fact, and replaced the strut w/o even caring about the pink spring. It should be noted that the spring didn't cause the strut failure, it was a hard hit to that corner that caused the strut to blow. But, regardless, the tech ignored the fact that there was an 'aftermarket' part on the car, and did the work he was supposed to.

It's not all dealers. Basically S.O.A. sent an e-mail to every dealer warning them that aftermarket accessories installed by the dealer are not covered by the factory warranty and that those parts "may" affect the factory warranty.

Any dealer is free to install any item they would like, they just need to notify the owners that the items are not warrantied by Subaru, and that the items "may" affect the vehicles warranty.

And just because it is a Subaru part number, doesn't mean it's a valid Subaru of America part.

...and for the record, we would install them for you. :D

Yeah Im in Ontario and my subie dealer was willing to do cat back exhaust, short shifters, springs (eibach, etc), and basically gave me the "if you mod if and something breaks b/c of it we wont fix it line" I cant see how they can rationalize voiding the warranty if you change the freakin shitty tires and rims, gimme a break

All the above is the reason I am trying to reach 36K miles quickly. So I don't have to worry about all this Subaru Warranty denial crap.

I think it is BS that they want to deny a warranty claim for some of this stuff. Unlawful in my opinion.

i think warranties are crap in a way.. First you buy a car for about 30k then they tell you what you can and cant do with it ..personally that should equal a mushroom stamp in the forhead but what can you do ..dealership also told me no turbo timer blow off valve etc etc.. void the turbo ..so if u have your car modded take anything off before you have to go to dealership even if its for another problem..If the tech see's any mody he/she will rat your arse out and that will equal a red flag on your warrenty ,meaning anywhere you go they know its not warrentied......Funk the FREEWORLD

i think warranties are crap in a way.. First you buy a car for about 30k then they tell you what you can and cant do with it ..personally that should equal a mushroom stamp in the forhead but what can you do ..dealership also told me no turbo timer blow off valve etc etc.. void the turbo ..so if u have your car modded take anything off before you have to go to dealership even if its for another problem..If the tech see's any mody he/she will rat your arse out and that will equal a red flag on your warrenty ,meaning anywhere you go they know its not warrentied......Funk the FREEWORLD

That's a good idea :rolleyes: then you are attempting to defraud your dealer instead of just being accountable for your actions.

In my experience honesty will get you a lot further than deception.

My .02

Shame there isn't more of a collaborative culture... you'd think someone might identify that the enthusiast demographic represents a marketing opportunity (and that we don't all look like extras from Fast and Furious) - the closer the communication the less mod related failures there would be - we'd all win...

Archived