LegacyGT.com

CV Boot question

Hello fellow subarubians!

This is my first post on this site and gotta say lovin' the site so far!

I just purchased an 05 Legacy GT limited with torn inside front CV boots.

I think that they've recently torn because there is still a good amount of grease in there. What is the best way to go about rectifying this? I would certainly rather replace just the boots but I'm not sure that is the best way to go about in terms of long-lasting solutions... Thoughts?

Thanks for the feedback!

Definitely replace the boots. I bought new aftermarket boots at rockauto.com. You'll also need a CV banding tool.

Subaru makes good axles, and the aftermarket axle assemblies don't always work well. You're better keeping the original axle and rebooting it.

• 5 months later...

Thread Title: Dyno Tune: Shop/Tuner, WHP/WTRQ, TURBO, Motor displacement (2.0/2.5), PSI

example: Dyno Tune: EFI Logics makes 298whp on a 2.5L + 68HTA @ 20.8psi

Event: Dyno Pull/road run/track run

Loaction: name of the Shop or Track

Date: 08/11/2010

Ambient Temp: in F

Elevation: Google can help you with this

Weather: Rain? Snow? clear?

Car: year, make and model

Tuner: Name of person and shop

Dyno Info: Mustang, dynometer, airboy, ect ect

Transmission: 5speed, 6speed, PPG, JDM, ect ect

Gear: What gear the pull was done in (2nd,3rd,4th,5th)

Peak Horse Power at RPM: The RPM that you reached max HP

Peak Torque at RPM: The RPM you reached Max TQ

Baseline hp/tq for a stock on same dyno: your model with no mods

Target Boost: In PSI

Target AFR:

SAE Correction factor:

Fuel: Octane rating if pump, octane and brand if specialty fuel

Engine/Power Modifications: Anything that adds horsepower that you have added to your car. i.e. bigger turbo, intercooler, exhaust, injectors

Driveline Modifications: Stock/Upgraded clutch, light weight flywheel, upgraded drive shaft, upgraded rear or center diff.

Suspension Modifications: struts, springs, coilovers, braces, bushings, and other items that reduce body motion and increase power transfer to the ground

Other Modifications: weight removal, addition of a roll cage, lighter wheels or rotors, smaller than OE diameter tires, and other items that affect vehicle weight, rotational inertia, and power delivered to the contact patch

Picture of Dyno Plot and AFR/Boost Plot: Ask your tuner for this or copy it from your tuning software

• 2 years later...
I would recommend getting your boots from a Suby dealer. I've had to replace aftermarket ones (Dorman or EMPI, I cannot remember!) after only a couple of years. They were turning to dust. The OEM boots use thicker rubber that just "feels" higher quality. The price difference was negligible.

• 2 months later...
Pulling the axles to replace just boots is not hard. There are replacement bands that do not require the special pliers. Remember to mark Your camber bolt so You can keep Your alignment. It is a dirty job and You can't have too many paper towels or rags.

Archived