LegacyGT.com

Cracked PCV vacuum fitting - how bad is it?

Yesterday I noticed a rubber vacuum fitting in a bad shape, visible crack and oil sipping through, this seems to be a part of the emission control system like a vent connector from the engine internals into the intake, part 99071AD440. Is this something that I should take care of ASAP? It sits under the intercooler on the passenger side close to the back of the engine. Seems the whole intake collector/intercooler must come off to get to this sucker, which can be a bit too much effort for a DIY project given I don't have much time for these things lately. I'll post pictures later.

vacuum.png.2278d9ece62d73808a0b141193e8d7e7.png

Edited by Val Demar

I guess depending on where the crack is on that fitting, you may have a vacuum leak.

The other thing is, those pcv valves need a clean every so often and you may as well do both since it seems this part has not been taken care of in a while.

A dirty pcv could cause more drama than the time you'd spend removing the intercooler.

Having said that, mine was cracked and would have been for some time. Does not appear to have caused me issues. Found it cracked when doing a headgasket job.

It would seem it has been in a bad shape for some time until now so likely it will last for couple more weeks. Do you recall how big of a job was it to replace it? I peeked and it seemed the whole intake needs to come of. Are those clamps holding it reusable?_20190526_182729.thumb.jpg.a9372bee4f529c982cc4726470694df6.jpg

I'm pretty sure that it can be done without the intake being removed, only the intercooler.

I ordered the part, will find out soon :) I will use this opportunity to replace that sticky starter, have one on order too. I know the old one can be reconditioned, but I think the price of a new one is a reasonable insurance I don't have to get back to it in case the repair didn't work or worse yet I break the old one in the process. Dealer wants to charge for 3 hour labor for both, I'll try DIY first.

Edited by Val Demar