LegacyGT.com

Cracked Fuel Pump Housings! Need Recall!

I started smelling gas near the right rear of my car and inside the cabin when the tank was close to full. After looking in the forums someone said their fuel pump housing was cracked on the top flange where the gasket sits. I ordered a new gasket hoping that mine wasn't cracked but it was indeed cracked.

No parts store carries the housing, only the pump itself. The Subaru dealer I talked to said there wasn't a dealer in the country with one of those housing assemblies and that they were all backordered. The top side of the flange also had rusty material from the hold down plate which was eating away at it so even if it hadn't cracked its only a matter of time before it breaks and lets even more fuel vapors into the cabin.

These are unquestionably faulty parts and create a very dangerous safety hazard. If you smell fuel in your car after filling up its probably a cracked fuel pump housing which cannot be purchased because they are backordered because they are cracking left and right.

Subaru needs to do a recall before someone gets killed.

IMG_0172.thumb.JPG.3842009dea33a8d2c8693dc5232e5d88.JPG

Do you think it's possible to fill the crack and temporarily repair it with epoxy?

Epoxy is not the same type of plastic as what the housing is, so I'd be wary of doing it and it may not stick to the housing.

I have a lot of bad experience from trying to repair cracks with epoxy for sensitive parts.

453747.png

I don't think that tiny crack is going to get someone killed. Denso has made a lot of very similar pump housings for a lot of different cars and there has never been a massive safety recall. A quick Google show a few housing recalls recall, but that was just due to the crack letting out evaporative emissions.

Subaru didn't really sell that part sell that part stand alone until recently (last ~5 years) so most dealers wont stock that. Fortunately there are a lot of comparable version!

42052AG860

Any 2008-2014 Impreza/Forester with a Turbo motor

42052AG87A

2005-2009 US made Legacy/Outback

42052AG88A

42052AG90A

42052AG91A

Likely the NA 2008-2014 Impreza/Forester fuel pump housing will work as well but I've never seen one to verify. The best way to get one of these would be hop on Ebay and find an entire fuel pump housing out of a '05-'09 Legacy/Outback or '08-'14 Impreza/Forester. If it comes out of a WRX/STI/FXT/LGT/OXT you can just drop in the whole assembly and go. If not, swap your pump over and use whichever filters are newest.

• Like 1

It's a 9-12 year old car. Only a small percentage of cars in the "rust belt" are affected. Good luck with that recall.

Import Direct replacement unit #A33154

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/IDF0/A33154/02535.oap?year=2009&make=Subaru&model=Impreza&vi=1502976&ck=Search_C0401_1502976_3644&pt=C0401&ppt=C0025

Spectra #C4066M

http://www.autozone.com/fuel-systems/fuel-pump/spectra-premium-fuel-pump/559944_0_20966_35793?checkfit=true

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

That brown line at the flange is the crack. I cleaned the area before I took it apart and when I bounced the car a little back and forth gas was visibly seeping right out. Fuel vapor is extremely flammable in case anyone isn't aware of that and if you can smell a strong fuel smell in your car, that's bad.

Its a commonly defective part which is why they are on backorder. The plastic type is POM and there aren't many products that can bond POM to POM and even the products that can be special ordered may not hold up to almost constant contact with gasoline.

The housing needs to be replaced and its a $380 part if you can find one. No way am I putting a used one in there which will likely develop the same problem all over again.

The housing needs to be replaced and its a $380 part if you can find one. No way am I putting a used one in there which will likely develop the same problem all over again.

If your though is that it's a design flaw and a used one would crack, a new one will as well. I have a '14 STI fuel pump sitting on my counter right now, it looks just fine. Got it on ebay for $60 shipped.

If you think they are all flawed like this, it looks like you need to go with a radium fuel pump hanger:

http://www.radiumauto.com/Fuel-Pump-Hanger-Subaru-P706.aspx

If your though is that it's a design flaw and a used one would crack, a new one will as well. I have a '14 STI fuel pump sitting on my counter right now, it looks just fine. Got it on ebay for $60 shipped.

If you think they are all flawed like this, it looks like you need to go with a radium fuel pump hanger:

http://www.radiumauto.com/Fuel-Pump-Hanger-Subaru-P706.aspx

Well the one that's in there now lasted 10 years. I wouldn't want to put a 10 year old one back in there when a new one could get me another 10. :lol:

Well the one that's in there now lasted 10 years. I wouldn't want to put a 10 year old one back in there when a new one could get me another 10. :lol:

Understand that! Just don't discount late model used. You'll get 7 years out of this for $75

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-2014-Subaru-Impreza-WRX-STI-Fuel-Pump-Assembly-/302111297210?hash=item46573c8eba:g:cXwAAOSwpLNYBl7C&vxp=mtr

Or for $100 you can get 8 years and a DW65C with it:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2008-2014-SUBARU-WRX-STI-OEM-FUEL-PUMP-HOUSING-HANGER-W-DEATCHWERKS-65C-PUMP-/122244763210?hash=item1c765b0e4a:g:zt8AAOSwiONYO6Qh&vxp=mtr

Edited by utc_pyro

In case it helps anyone in the future, the part number for the assembly is 42021AG04A (06 LGT 5AT Sedan). The piece that was actually cracked was available for $100 but I decided to go with the new assembly which includes a new pump, filter, and sensors. I apparently received bad information from the parts guy at that one dealer because there were many dealers who had that part available and I ended up ordering from a dealer on eBay for about $50 less shipped. Just look it up on the official subaru parts website to see what dealers have it in stock.

Cracking left and right? This is the first instance of it happening that I have heard of. Just buy another housing off ebay and throw it in and move on. It's not common enough nor is it a design flaw that will cause it to fail to warrant a recall.

2005 Vader Wagon

Material Tests on Ringland Failure Piston

I should have held off and purchased a wagon instead of the spec.B

• I Donated Too
These are unquestionably faulty parts and create a very dangerous safety hazard. If you smell fuel in your car after filling up its probably a cracked fuel pump housing which cannot be purchased because they are backordered because they are cracking left and right.

Well that's not true. Accurate as of 02/04/2017 - The part you show in your picture, there are 7 of those in the USA in the Subaru parts system and can be obtained by the majority of dealers on Monday - at WORSE 3 to 5 days for some. Here in NE the dealer would have it Monday. It's under $100.

Subaru needs to do a recall before someone gets killed.

I don't think it's as bad as you think. Like Mag says too, I think it's happened to so few people (JMP is one I do recall) but I do not believe it's common at all.

Edited by sigmafour

Cracking left and right? This is the first instance of it happening that I have heard of. Just buy another housing off ebay and throw it in and move on. It's not common enough nor is it a design flaw that will cause it to fail to warrant a recall.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/fuel-leak-fuel-pump-connection-236780.html

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/66-problems-maintenance/170969-fuel-leaking-top-tank-05-3-0r.html

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/109-gen-3-2005-2009/71729-fuel-pump-cracked.html

But I guess as long as it isn't your car that leaks fuel into the cabin its ok with you...

Okay so you list 3 instances of it happening. Again, It's not a design flaw as it isn't a widespread issue and there is nothing to show of anything specific causing the crack. Plastic gets brittle over time. Like I said before, just buy another one and replace it.

If I did have something like this happen in my car I would figure out what caused it to fail. If it was due to age, poor design, an added stress on it somehow, etc. I've had my assembly out in the past year and the design is definitely not a bad design. If you get the gasket down and tighten down the retaining ring properly and torque it properly it shouldn't have issues.

2005 Vader Wagon

Material Tests on Ringland Failure Piston

I should have held off and purchased a wagon instead of the spec.B

I am having the same problem with fuel leaking on a full tank and smelling it in the car. the dealership told me my tank was rotted. do you guys think the fuel pump housing is the culprit over a rotted tank? and while I am in there probably a good idea to upgrade the pump?

If you only smell it on a full tank then that means its leaking near the top of the tank. That fuel pump housing cracks right on the very top of the tank. I would say based on my experience, seeing other forum posts, and that many dealers have that part on backorder, the most likely culprit is indeed the top of the fuel pump housing.

It's really easy to check. Just lift up on the rear seat and put it off to the side. Right under the rear seat on the right hand side there is an access panel held on by four screws. If its all covered in gas underneath its most likely a cracked housing. I was just gonna change the gasket on mine but knew I had to look closely for a cracked housing and sure enough thats what it was. So I had to put the whole leaky pump assembly back in and order the new housing assembly. The gasket is made from a pretty durable looking rubber and it seemed unlikely to be the problem.

I would say take a look under that panel on a full tank of gas and if its leaking it will be very apparent. Then order a new fuel pump assembly and gasket from the official subaru parts website. I don't know anything about upgrading the pump itself but other forum posts discuss that.

If you only smell it on a full tank then that means its leaking near the top of the tank. That fuel pump housing cracks right on the very top of the tank. I would say based on my experience, seeing other forum posts, and that many dealers have that part on backorder, the most likely culprit is indeed the top of the fuel pump housing.

It's really easy to check. Just lift up on the rear seat and put it off to the side. Right under the rear seat on the right hand side there is an access panel held on by four screws. If its all covered in gas underneath its most likely a cracked housing. I was just gonna change the gasket on mine but knew I had to look closely for a cracked housing and sure enough thats what it was. So I had to put the whole leaky pump assembly back in and order the new housing assembly. The gasket is made from a pretty durable looking rubber and it seemed unlikely to be the problem.

I would say take a look under that panel on a full tank of gas and if its leaking it will be very apparent. Then order a new fuel pump assembly and gasket from the official subaru parts website. I don't know anything about upgrading the pump itself but other forum posts discuss that.

do you have a picture of that crack?

I've seen this happen before... always chalked it up to the fact that the parts are usually 10+ years old. Plastic has a shelf life, and all most manufacturers care about is that the part lives reliably beyond the warranty period.

You definitely aren't in the dark as far as finding a new housing goes though. They're readily available from many non-OE sources.

But I guess as long as it isn't your car that leaks fuel into the cabin its ok with you...

Being the devil's advocate here: Assuming your Legacy is assembled properly... there's no way for fuel to physically leak inside the cabin. There is a steel service door with a foam gasket seal which covers the pump housing. I just don't want any less knowledgeable folks smelling gasoline and having heart attacks when they come here and search the forums for help. :)

MTBwrench's Stage 3 5EAT #racewagon 266awhp/255awtq @17.5psi, Tuned By Graham of Boosted Performance

Everyone knows what I taste like.