LegacyGT.com

Converting from AP to Open Source

thefultonhow

• I Donated
My Spec.B came with an AP, so I kept it when I converted from Infamous OTS Stage 2 to an actual Infamous Stage 2 e-tune. I'm now looking at possibly selling it and getting a Tactrix in order to pay for a dyno tune for my Evo 16G, but I would want the Stage 2 tune as a fallback in case I need to send my 16G back to BNR or something. How easy would it be to transfer all the timing, MAF scaling, AF ratios, TD settings, etc. over to RomRaider from AccessTuner Race, and is there anything that wouldn't easily transfer over?

^ Yeah, V2 AP won't allow you to copy your Rom over to OS. You'd basically have to build it from stock manually copying tables. You'd also have to know a little bit about the different languages, conversions, etc. For instance, values for injector scaling and latencies are different between OS and AP. It would take some time to do and a little studying to lock these things down.

I'm sure Shamar would work something out for you since you bought the tune for the AP in the first place. As stated above, the way that Cobb names parameters and so on are different from the OS definitions so it's not as easy as it should be.
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

^Yeah, Infamous might charge a small fee to convert the tune over and it would save you the time, but I understand we're trying to save money. As well, the BNR turbos have gotten a lot more reliable since their initial debut so this converstaion may be immaterial. However, I can understand you are wanting a backup plan.

Here's my 2 cents on the subject. The AP will bring about $400 sold used. A used tactrix will be at least $100 and that's being very conservative. Generally a dyno tune using OS software costs a little more than AP because of the lack of the ability to tune in real time with OS. Therefore it takes a little longer for the tuner to complete the tune. I've seen a difference of $50-$100 so we'll call it a total difference of $250 you'd be ahead and that's if Shamar doesn't charge a fee for the conversion.

Is it really worth it to sell the AP? Perhaps there's some other things around the house you could consider selling to recoup that money for a dyno tune. I know if money were tight for me, I'd easily find shit around here that I could sell that would bring $200-$250.

That having been said, if you're bent on converting, I work on both Cobb and OS to tune my car (AP V1 with StreetTuner) so I'll keep my eyes on this thread if you need some tips. ;)

I honestly don't think it's worth getting a dyno tune for a small turbo like a 16G, especially on pump gas.
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

• I Donated

So it sounds like it's probably not worth it to convert to OS...

I honestly don't think it's worth getting a dyno tune for a small turbo like a 16G, especially on pump gas.

Really? Why not? I've seen people who are Stage 2 get dyno tunes and improve by 20whp over their e-tunes.

• Moderators

^^This is silly.

IMHO, if it's a setup you are going to stick with for an extended period of time I don't see any reason why a dyno tune wouldn't be worth it. If you plan on switching / tweaking your setup then e-tunes are probably the way to go for a bit.

"Worth it" is dependent upon so many different variables that it's really up to you, but you know that.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Really? Why not? I've seen people who are Stage 2 get dyno tunes and improve by 20whp over their e-tunes.

e-tune and road tune are quite different. Normally in an e-tune scenario you don't do enough revisions to get the result you would hands-on. Not having seat time in the car to get a feel for it will not inspire the confidence you want to keep pushing. There's a reason e-tunes are cheaper ;)

e-tune and road tune are quite different. Normally in an e-tune scenario you don't do enough revisions to get the result you would hands-on. Not having seat time in the car to get a feel for it will not inspire the confidence you want to keep pushing. There's a reason e-tunes are cheaper ;)

Am I missing something here? Where did road tuning come into the conversation? :spin:

• I Donated

So what you're saying is, it DOES make sense to get a dyno tyne for a 16G? :iam:

IMHO, if a reputable dyno tune is available to you, I'd go for it AS long as the tuner follows up with a couple street logs afterwards to double check items.

TurboXS is local to me... ;)

Are you being deliberately obtuse?

OP is talking about jumping from an AP based e-tune to a OS based dyno tune as if there is nothing available in between. I am stating that for a car running a small turbo on pump gas there is no great need for a dyno tune. I am implying that the money redirected from the sale of the AP doesn't need to go into a dyno tune.

IMO, there is so little to be gained from a dyno tune on pump gas vs. a proper road tune as not to be worth the added expense. This is especially so when we're looking at smaller turbos and a few % is really nothing in terms of actual hp/tq numbers.

I will say however that someone who is getting tuned for E85 should indeed consider a dyno tune. High octane fuels can tolerate timing advance beyond that which gives best torque, which is both a waste of potential and bad for the bottom end of the motor. This is not possible on pump gas, where timing is always limited by knock which occurs well before best torque can be achieved. This very fact makes it easy to tune timing on the street because we only have to push timing to where knock is seen and then back off.

Conversely the dyno offers unrealistic cooling for intercoolers which means pushing timing right to the limit at charge temps seen on the rollers can be quite different from what you see on the road and that can mean either you run into knock on the street or you leave some power on the table. It's also not easy to get a dyno to mimic the load you see on the road, which makes boost tuning for the spool area tricky. If you're going for the very earliest spool possible you'll have to finish the job on the road anyway.

• I Donated
Are you being deliberately obtuse?

No, you just weren't clear at all when you said "I honestly don't think it's worth getting a dyno tune for a small turbo like a 16G, especially on pump gas" that you thought a road tune provided benefits over an e-tune, but a dyno tune did not. Until this post, you had not mentioned dyno tunes, road tunes, and e-tunes in the same post, so I got pretty confused when you brought up a comparison between e-tunes and road tunes all of a sudden when road tunes had not previously been mentioned in the thread at all.

OP is talking about jumping from an AP based e-tune to a OS based dyno tune as if there is nothing available in between.

No I'm not. I stated that I want a dyno tune. I know full well that there are other options, and I at least think I have a pretty good idea of what the pros and cons of all of the above are.

IMO, there is so little to be gained from a dyno tune on pump gas vs. a proper road tune as not to be worth the added expense. This is especially so when we're looking at smaller turbos and a few % is really nothing in terms of actual hp/tq numbers.

Who said a dyno tune is going to be oh-so-much-more than a road tune? And who said the people around here who do road tunes are as good tuners as the people who do dyno tunes? I'm not in California, so I can't just roll up to Shamar's place and have him do a road tune for me.

Sorry, it was joeleodee that suggested you jump to a dyno tune. My first advice still stands... get Shamar to convert your current stg2 tune to OS format for a backup if and when you need it. For your 16G upgrade I'd get someone to road tune it. I get that Baltimore is a long way from California.

Sorry, it was joeleodee that suggested you jump to a dyno tune. My first advice still stands... get Shamar to convert your current stg2 tune to OS format for a backup if and when you need it. For your 16G upgrade I'd get someone to road tune it. I get that Baltimore is a long way from California.

:lol: Where did I say that? It is the OP that has considered getting a dyno tune and I'm merely commenting on the original reason for this thread; converting from AP to OS. You have the opinion that a road tune would serve his needs and I happen to agree and I also agree that if a good dyno tune option is available, that would also serve his needs. That's not what this thread was originally about, however.

Archived