LegacyGT.com

Clutch fork failure...:mad:

A few weeks back my clutch suddenly got super heavy. After a quick bit of research, I saw similar pictures on the internet referencing WRX's, BRZ's, etc. I figured, "no way this can really happen, right?". I figured maybe the pressure plate failed in a weird way. It's just not a problem I've ever experienced in my 30+ years of driving manual transmission vehicles. Boy was I wrong.

The worse part is I had no choice but to drive it that way until such a time as I could get it to my mechanic (Don't judge, I have a toddler and my wife and I both work full time so time is a premium). The fork wore a bit of a divet into the case...(pic 2).

Interestingly enough, I've only seen one or two threads on here about fork failures, but plenty of hits via the Googs. Man, remember when Japanese mfg's over-engineered parts on even their pedestrian cars?

fork.thumb.jpg.911e8d50ef3ab5373e6980a1310b5cf0.jpg

fork2.thumb.jpg.664104215a0681e167701b8958eb3d8a.jpg

Mine failed this year too. I had my Exedy stage 1 clutch replaced at the same time, and I swear the new clutch with the new fork feels 25% less stiff. It makes me wonder how long ago mine started to fail...

I had no squeaks. The failure was sudden. I got home, parked the car, went in the house to get something, came back out, put foot on clutch and felt my leg do far more work than it did before.

I'm on Exedy stage 1 too...

That sucks ahkenaden. On the 5th gen facebook group, I've seen a few posts about clutch fork failures as well. They're mostly on the GTs but iirc there was one failure on a 2.5i. If you want to upgrade that part, check out Verus Engineering's chromoly billet clutch fork. I've got that part and their billet pivot on my shelf for when the time comes.

stamped cheap Chinese weak steel to the root of the failure?

Almost of the failures are on aftermarket clutches. I am guessing it is not over engineered for much more than the stock clutch. Even if going with a replacement stock clutch, I would replace that part as preventative maintenance.

That sucks ahkenaden. On the 5th gen facebook group, I've seen a few posts about clutch fork failures as well. They're mostly on the GTs but iirc there was one failure on a 2.5i. If you want to upgrade that part, check out Verus Engineering's chromoly billet clutch fork. I've got that part and their billet pivot on my shelf for when the time comes.

I'll be replacing my clutch next weekend, and am doing this as a preventative measure. You can't get the billet ones now - they're forged for even more strength. Its a very chunky unit.

Well, the OEM fork lasted about 65k which just about lines up with the lifespan of an aftermarket clutch system. It cost me 30 bucks to replace (MSRP is like 40 on the Subie parts site). I see no reason to drop 6x that on a part that should have been over-engineered from the factory. If this was a problem that plagued my circa 90's Stealth, sure. But not a 2010 family hauler.