LegacyGT.com

Chasing down brake shudder!!! 05 LGT/Brembos FIXED!!!!! 11/21

Silinc3r

Alright, I have searched, I have replaced parts, I have re-bedded pads, pretty much done it all. There is a reason why they say don't mess with it but come on, who actually listens to that?!!

So, swapped to Brembos in a time far away, turned the rotors that came with the calipers and got Stoptech pads. Down the road, got the shudder only on light braking. Well, it got worse so I went ahead and bought new pads and rotors. Again with Stoptech rotors and pads. Helped for awhile but then the shudder came back. I thought back to when I bought the Brembos and remembered that when I had rebuilt them there was a difference in the piston size between the front and rear piston. The issue was, I had bought 2 right side Brembos. The seller informed me he never had any issues so I didn't think anything of it till the second coming of the shuddering.

At this point I decided to get another set of Brembos so now I have a correct right/left caliper and left the pads and rotors. Thought maybe it would help fix the issue and for a bit it seemed like it did. Well, it gradually got worse so I bought a new set of rotors and left the pads since they were still pretty new. Re-bedded and that seemed to have cleared the issue. Well it hasn't.

This past weekend I have swapped out the front LCA for the Spec B LCA, replaced the rear LCA bushing for a GroupN, new OEM ball joints, new Moog inner/outer tie rods, new Moog end links and got new wheels and had them mounted and balanced. They were not able to completely align the vehicle because the HUNTER system was having issues. However, just before typing this I re-researched similar issues and tried re-bedding with no success.

The research went back to the stock brakes and usually it was the crap pads leaving deposits. I am wondering if it is indeed the Stoptech pads and maybe I need to look into the Hawk pads?

So on light braking I get shudder in the pedal and shake in the wheel. I still have the Stoptech rotor and pads in the rear. That shouldn't be the issue. I really don't want to just keeping buying brake kits but it is kind of discomforting, embarrassing and not confidence inspiring. :confused::spin::mad:

if you have stoptech street pads, they're know to leave a lot of uneven pad deposits - that may be the cause of your recurrent shudder. I know I had that problem on my car (I could see the line of brake material left on the rotor whenever I left the car undriven for over a day).

if you have stoptech street pads, they're know to leave a lot of uneven pad deposits - that may be the cause of your recurrent shudder. I know I had that problem on my car (I could see the line of brake material left on the rotor whenever I left the car undriven for over a day).

What did you switch to? Also if the brake isn't being applied it shouldn't be clamped onto the rotor right.? Was your line vertical or in direction of rotation? Thanks for the reply!

What did you switch to? Also if the brake isn't being applied it shouldn't be clamped onto the rotor right.? Was your line vertical or in direction of rotation? Thanks for the reply!

Mine were vertical lines. I switched to Hawk HPS pads in the front, EBC Redstuff in the rear. The Stoptech street pads were the only pads I've ever experienced this kind of problem.

Mine were vertical lines. I switched to Hawk HPS pads in the front, EBC Redstuff in the rear. The Stoptech street pads were the only pads I've ever experienced this kind of problem.

Ok, those are the same lines I have gotten before too. I think I will try the Hawk HPS out then and see how that goes. Hawk seems to be what I keep seeing everyone running. Are you Brembo swapped in the rear as well?

Again, thanks for the reply.

Nope, just regular ol' vented rears. :)

I've had good luck with EBC yellows and reds, Hawk HPS and HP+, as well as Porterfield RS4 (wear out quickly though). Like I said, the stoptech street pads were the first time I had that kind of problem. It got so bad for me that I had to resurface my fancy DBA rotors (thankfully, I found a machine shop that will resurface slotted rotors).

• 3 years later...
It could be a bad wheel bearing, especially if you have changed pads, rotors, and calipers. would explain why it is coming and going. A bad lower ball joint might also cause that but it less likely.

Glad I could respond in a timely manner :spin::lol:

control arms are new with ball joints and I have no sound for the wheel bearing. I also believe I changed that side so it shouldn't be an issue. But doesn't hurt to check it out.

Side note, just dropped a new 2019 STi RA short block in. Brakes still suck lol

• 2 years later...

and an official end thread on a good note!!!

The issue is fixed!!!

It was a bad rear left caliper. The caliper ended up seizing and replaced with stock rear caliper and new pads/rotors and the brake shudder is gone!! I am a bit embarrassed that I never thought it might be a rear caliper issue.

A give away perhaps should have been that the steering wheel never pulled when the brakes shuddered. 🤔

• Thanks 2

• Silinc3r changed the title to Chasing down brake shudder!!! 05 LGT/Brembos FIXED!!!!! 11/21