LegacyGT.com

How to change glovebox light? Is it hard to do?

• 2 months later...
The glove box light is an LED - to get to it, you remove the glove box and it is sitting on top. (you remove the glove box container as though you were replacing the filter, then you need to pull the hush panel under the glovebox assembly, the trim piece on the side (panel facing the door) and the trim above the glove box (the silver or fake wood trim piece) then there are 8 or so screws and you can pull the assembly out and unplug the LED. Not sure how amenable the assembly is to replacing the LED (no idea if it's a surface mount or what)

The glovebox LED is not a standard LED bulb, it's a unique full replacement unit. There are aftermarket replacements out there, but I don't know where to find them. It's not as easy as just popping onto an LED site and picking a bulb number.

6ksEdpo.png

The glove box light is an LED - to get to it, you remove the glove box and it is sitting on top. (you remove the glove box container as though you were replacing the filter, then you need to pull the hush panel under the glovebox assembly, the trim piece on the side (panel facing the door) and the trim above the glove box (the silver or fake wood trim piece) then there are 8 or so screws and you can pull the assembly out and unplug the LED. Not sure how amenable the assembly is to replacing the LED (no idea if it's a surface mount or what)

you dont have to do any of this...you just open the glovebox and the led unit is right on the top

you dont have to do any of this...you just open the glovebox and the led unit is right on the top
Yes, you can see the LED, but to disconnect it and remove it, you need to drop the glove box assembly. (are you prying the panel out where the LED fits into? I pulled on it a bit and it didn't seem to want to go easily. Removing the glove box assembly is pretty easy, and you have all the access in the world once you do that.

Yes, you can see the LED, but to disconnect it and remove it, you need to drop the glove box assembly. (are you prying the panel out where the LED fits into? I pulled on it a bit and it didn't seem to want to go easily. Removing the glove box assembly is pretty easy, and you have all the access in the world once you do that.

yes...just pull on it and it pops out. very similar to the door lights. was literally a 15 second job to swap

Edited by testa422

yes...just pull on it and it pops out. very similar to the door lights. was literally a 15 second job to swap

So I just need to pry it off like the door light cover, and pop the bulb out? Is this after I take the glovebox assembly off (if I need to do that)?

Edited by Alexmed2002

So I just need to pry it off like the door light cover, and pop the bulb out? Is this after I take the glovebox assembly off (if I need to do that)?

Yes just let it out. You swap the whole unit as a piece. Unplug it and plug the new one in. No need to disassemble glovebox. Literally takes 15 seconds

Just went outside to do it. LED is top dead center right in the front of the glovebox. Pry it out, swap unit, put back in. 15 seconds

So you didn't need to do anything other than pry out both sides of it? I'm probably gonna order it right now through global.rakuten.com since I found it for like $20.

Correct. Pry it out. You found a light from liberal on rakuten?

I found the exact same light that the Legacy glovebox has, but with the led already installed in it. Essentially I should only have to unplug the old light and plug in the new one. It's still being sold from Japan on the website. If I get to buying it tonight I should hopefully get it soon. Worse comes to worse I'll get a refund and buy one from Liberty.

Posting on behalf of testa, he's having some trouble sharing the photo.

That really simplifies things. I will get to this tomorrow as it should be quick. I'll order the aftermarket light right now and hope it fits. Since I just sold something on ebay for over $40 i'll buy it from liberal to be safe.

Edited by Alexmed2002

• 2 weeks later...