LegacyGT.com

How to change fog light bulbs?

Guest turboman

Guest turboman

Has anyone changed the bulbs (H-3) in the GT foglights? Owners Manual says to take the car to your dealer to get a bulb replaced.

Is it that difficult? If anyone has done it could you please detail the operation.

Thanks.

• 3 months later...

I just did it yesterday, and I have to say, the descriptions on here so far were not much help to me, especially in getting those pop-screws off. Here is how mine went:

1) Partially remove the undercover. To do so, you need to remove three plastics pop-screws. Two of them are along the outer edge of the car mounted to the bumper and a third, smaller one, is mounted to the frame of the car. For the two larger ones, insert a small flat screwdriver under the inner plastic pin of the pop-screw and pull down on the pin. That releases the pop-screw and now you can gently pull out the entire screw. The smaller one has a philips head, so use a screwdriver to release it, then it should fall out. Once those three are out you can pull the covering back enough to get your hand in.

2) Remove the fog-light cover. Just turn it a quarter turn and it will come off. Disconnect the two wires that go to it. One is to the bulb, and the other is ground. Optional - I found it helpful to pull both ends of the ground wire at this point so I could see a little better (if you've done this before, you probably won't need to do this).

4) Remove the bulb. It is held by a metal clip. Pretty obvious.

5) Connect the wire from new bulb (and the ground wire to the fog-light cover if you disconnected it in step 1).

6) Install the bulb. Make sure the square tab is facing up and the round tab is facing down. Check to make sure the bulb is on securly, it should not turn if it is on properly. Lock it with the spring clip.

7) If you disconnected the ground wire in step 1, connect the ground wire first to the plastic cover and then to a metal pin next to the bulb.

8) Re-install the fog-light cover.

9) Secure the undercover.

Hope this helps. Sorry if I am not using the correct terminology here, but I am not very technical. It took me forever to figure out how to take off those stupid pop-screws. Once I did the whole process took 10 minutes.

Easily solved. :)

Do a "search" for "vacation pictures" or "vacation pics." Look up the corresponding area of interest after your download of said pictures.

You can actually quite easily access the necessary areas on each side under the splash-guard/aero-undertray by simply popping out the "Pop-It" rivets on the side of the panel from which you're working (i.e. outboard right for passenger's side, outboard left for driver's side). If you park the car on a slight upward incline or have access to a nice little dip where the front of your car can "hang over," you actually won't even need to jack the car up.

After getting the panels out of the way, simply take a quick peek at how the bulb is connected to its harness - then pull the connector. Now, again take a peek at how the bulb's base is oriented (it should only go in completely, one way, due to the base's design) - then flip up the retaining clip and remove the old bulb. Now, simply reverse your un-install steps, and voila, you're done.

Even parked on level ground (which makes getting to the bulbs somewhat harder, especially on your off-side - i.e. mine was the passenger's side as I'm right-handed, and I had to thus use my left hand for this portion of the job) without a jack, I actually did the replacement in less than 10 minutes. If you can change your headlight bulbs, this shouldn't be a problem for you.

Best of luck!

-A

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

Whoa, talk about simultaneous posting! :)

-A

PS: I favor "yellower" bulbs so as to better enhance foul-weather vision. My favorites so far are Narva Golds.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

I rolled my car up onto some stands and removed the pop-its. It isn't nesscary to remove the ground. I just disconnected the bulb's line and held the cover to the side as I took the blub out and put the new one in. Be sure to remember where the keyed part of the bulb sits.

Looks like that is a step that I missed (duh). I will probably go back in and check. The bulb has a round tab on one end and and square tab on the other https://www.expeditionexchange.com/hella/DSC04071.jpg. I am not sure if I will be able to see the matching tabs on the fog light housing. So does anyone know which way it goes (round tab on top or bottom)?

I rolled my car up onto some stands and removed the pop-its. It isn't nesscary to remove the ground. I just disconnected the bulb's line and held the cover to the side as I took the blub out and put the new one in. Be sure to remember where the keyed part of the bulb sits.

I can't remember and I did this yesterday. I believe its on an angle, with the keyyed section (not sure which) about 20 degrees up towards the center of the car.

I'm probably totallt wrong. Unless your head is gigantic, you should be able to painfully pull it up just far enough to check where the keys are. I had my car on ramps so it might not be 'as easy' as I'm maknig it out to be :D

Dude, *_my_* head is gigantic, also! Size extra-large hats, please!

:)

Seriously, if you're able to get the car on a slight up-hill incline, especially one with a slight "dip" right in front of the front wheels, you should be able to get in there (try approaching from the side, by the wheel-well) to have a peek without even having to jack the car up.

-A

For those of you mechanically challenged, as I am, the rectanguar tab is on top and the round on the bottom. I managed to get both wrong, and no wonder they looked weird. I am happy with the final product.

1.jpg.698cace095165b3dbf7c5b60dd394da4.jpg

2.jpg.7223441d3f6bc975dc92d4e5f23914c0.jpg

• 1 year later...

I see all informative talk about changing fog bulbs - BUT I recall the manual

saying to tow the LGT -you have to remove the pax side fog light to thread

in the tow device/eye. One does not have to remove bulbs to do that do they ??

Deadeye

• 10 years later...

So I was looking for a DIY on how to replace the fog light bulb and couldn't find it so i put together one. Have fun.

Purchased replacement fog light bulb (H3s) from amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006PIKZAQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 - $12.95

1. Jack car up safely

2. Remove two clips on each side (Driver and Passenger)

http://i.imgur.com/N2KD56j.jpg

3. Remove fog light housing clip

http://i.imgur.com/bTitgXa.jpg

4. Remove cover by twisting counter-clockwise, then remove retaining clip on the bulb

http://i.imgur.com/4p9GtMS.jpg

5. Remove the bulb then the bulb clip from the cover

http://i.imgur.com/CFkYcVH.jpg

6. Install in reverse and you are good to go

http://i.imgur.com/5y3YbaN.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I just did it yesterday, and I have to say, the descriptions on here so far were not much help to me, especially in getting those pop-screws off. Here is how mine went:

1) Partially remove the undercover. To do so, you need to remove three plastics pop-screws. Two of them are along the outer edge of the car mounted to the bumper and a third, smaller one, is mounted to the frame of the car. For the two larger ones, insert a small flat screwdriver under the inner plastic pin of the pop-screw and pull down on the pin. That releases the pop-screw and now you can gently pull out the entire screw. The smaller one has a philips head, so use a screwdriver to release it, then it should fall out. Once those three are out you can pull the covering back enough to get your hand in.

2) Remove the fog-light cover. Just turn it a quarter turn and it will come off. Disconnect the two wires that go to it. One is to the bulb, and the other is ground. Optional - I found it helpful to pull both ends of the ground wire at this point so I could see a little better (if you've done this before, you probably won't need to do this).

4) Remove the bulb. It is held by a metal clip. Pretty obvious.

5) Connect the wire from new bulb (and the ground wire to the fog-light cover if you disconnected it in step 1).

6) Install the bulb. Make sure the square tab is facing up and the round tab is facing down. Check to make sure the bulb is on securly, it should not turn if it is on properly. Lock it with the spring clip.

7) If you disconnected the ground wire in step 1, connect the ground wire first to the plastic cover and then to a metal pin next to the bulb.

8) Re-install the fog-light cover.

9) Secure the undercover.

Hope this helps. Sorry if I am not using the correct terminology here, but I am not very technical. It took me forever to figure out how to take off those stupid pop-screws. Once I did the whole process took 10 minutes.

Thanks for the step by step instructions.

Archived