LegacyGT.com

Catback Exhaust on NA 2.5i

My stock exhaust is looking pretty rusty and i'm looking for an excuse to get a catback system, mainly for looks. I don't have any delusions of grandeur that my car will someday be fast. I'm only building for looks and maybe a little handling, again not that it can go fast...

Main question is how much can you add before a tune is required? I wouldn't be adding an intake, i know they are pointless. What about exhaust, headers?

Also, is an engine management system required for tune, or can a shop reprogram the stock ECU?

Final question, which catback is the quietest? I need my wife to barely know it is there.

My stock exhaust is looking pretty rusty and i'm looking for an excuse to get a catback system, mainly for looks. I don't have any delusions of grandeur that my car will someday be fast. I'm only building for looks and maybe a little handling, again not that it can go fast...

Main question is how much can you add before a tune is required? I wouldn't be adding an intake, i know they are pointless. What about exhaust, headers?

Also, is an engine management system required for tune, or can a shop reprogram the stock ECU?

Final question, which catback is the quietest? I need my wife to barely know it is there.

No tune needed for cat back exhaust. I'm not 100% sure on headers, others can chime in.

I'm not sure what your car specs are, but depending on year and transmission there should be definitions a tuner can use.

I put the SPT exhaust on my car pre-boosted and my gf never complained about the volume. It has a nice grumble and looks really good!

No tune needed for cat back exhaust. I'm not 100% sure on headers, others can chime in.

I'm not sure what your car specs are, but depending on year and transmission there should be definitions a tuner can use.

I put the SPT exhaust on my car pre-boosted and my gf never complained about the volume. It has a nice grumble and looks really good!

No mods at all yet. 05 with 08/09 bumpers because it was previously in a wreck. Auto tranny. Slowest car ive ever owned, but i like it a lot.

Might drop it 1", new shocks as i'm at 114k miles, and hopefully my exhaust develops rust holes to justify the purchase. I'd probably just buy the mufflers (if possible) and have a local exhaust shop do the piping.

Save yourself the money and buy a axleback system that will bolt up to the stock Y pipe. Getting custom piping will cost you more after the muffler purchase and labor rate UNLESS you get a pair of Thrush mufflers or a good deal on some nice mufflers.

You do not need to re-tune a 2.5i for changes post the second cat for you b/c you have the 05 layout which is not like the 06+ layout where the sensors are in the manifold and nowhere else. However since you have the 05 layout you have so many more options than us 06+ folks. You can run UEL headers no problem so if you want that boxer rumble you can pick up some used headers from NASIOC or RS25.com or eBay for some replica's if you dont want to spend the money for Borla.

I hear that the Tsudo UEL header is really good quality and fit is really good as well. You should check it out

Thanks for the info GEE-OTTO. I looked at the RS25 site, that exhaust systems seems to be a single muffler, is that correct? I'd like to stay dual if possible.

Could you give me a couple examples of the axelback systems? Will a catback system require a tune, or the UEL headders?

What's the best option for a UEL header with catback for the 05 NA? I wouldn't want to leave the skinny/rusty pipe in the middle with shiney new headers and axelback exhaust, ha. I'm way too OCD for that.

Does this give any performance gains?

On the 2005 the UEL gives decent gains over the stock manifold as the stock is poorly designed.

I would suggest:

Header -> Borla or good quality replica (Tsudo, AMR, Mores Performance, CNT)

Cat pipe -> Custom build with TWO cats or RandomTech Dual Cat-pipe

CBE -> This is tough because most LGT systems are 3" and do not have a resonator so the drone would be horrible. What I would do is look for a used cheap CBE (GMS, XO2, any one really) and then plan to add a nice resonator inline to knock down the drone.

For that I would use a Vibrant Super Quiet muffler.

You could also buy 2.25" piping, decent mufflers and supporting hardware(flanges, hangers and a good resonator) and have one built IF you could get it done for a decent price would cost the same as buying a good used LGT and adding the resonator

I had one built for my 2008 cost me $330 and $178 in parts

which mufflers/resonators did you use on your custom build?

I used a 5 inch round Magnaflow resonator and a pair of MagnaFlow 11215's 2.25"

I would say to you skip the MagnaFlow Resonator and get a Vibrant Super Quiet resonator and your choice of free flowing mufflers

You cannot use a midpipe meant for the Legacy as you have an '05. Any full catback you buy will need to be extended by about 3-4" at the connection to the cats if you want to run it. They're essentially meant for '05 GTs, and '06-'09 2.5i's

An axleback would be a good alternative, as GEE-OTTO mentioned.

is there anything out there that will gain some rumble out of my 2005 2.5i PZEV? I have been running the Prodrive axlebacks, but hopefully there're more options out there as to, Y & Mid-Pipes with a diameter less than 3"

Only 2 options:

AVO's 2.5i specific CBE

http://www.avoturboworld.com/avoshop/center-pipe-with-resonator-p-81.html

OR

Custom

Also, as mentioned above, the 2005 MAY need an extension to mate up to that (~6 inches) CBE b/c most are mocked up to the 06+ N/a or the 05-09 LGT.

IF you want the boxer rumble you can buy a set of headers that will bolt right on for your needs

Does this Tsudo header/downpipe combo have a cat included. Is that what is in the second "downpipe" piece, or is that just a resonator of some sort.

http://www.semotors.com/tsudo-97-05-subaru-impreza-2-5rs-ej-header-w-downpipe/

If i purchased this would i still need to do the vibrant resonator to keep the drone down before the custom piping to two mufflers?

Does this Tsudo header/downpipe combo have a cat included. Is that what is in the second "downpipe" piece, or is that just a resonator of some sort.

http://www.semotors.com/tsudo-97-05-subaru-impreza-2-5rs-ej-header-w-downpipe/

If i purchased this would i still need to do the vibrant resonator to keep the drone down before the custom piping to two mufflers?

Not through your STOCK CBE since it has the blimp inline ;)

Is this where the main gains can be found in our exhaust system? How much of a change in sound happens by just doing this UEL header upgrade?

The UEL with a stock CBE will net you subtle changes in the exhaust note, no gain really.

http://rallisportracing.com/

Just save your money that you might spend on fabbing a header and catback and buy that one :rolleyes:;)

Hey dude,

When can we expect to see these available? I have a nasty exhaust leak in my headers. Got underneath the car at the shop the other day and felt the exhaust coming puffing out near the ribs of the manifold. Im dying for a new exhaust system now. :spin: I haven't posted here much lately.

Hey dude,

When can we expect to see these available? I have a nasty exhaust leak in my headers. Got underneath the car at the shop the other day and felt the exhaust coming puffing out near the ribs of the manifold. Im dying for a new exhaust system now. :spin: I haven't posted here much lately.

They are making and shipping them daily once they work off the first order you can get on the next batch order.

• 4 weeks later...
On the 2005 the UEL gives decent gains over the stock manifold as the stock is poorly designed.

I would suggest:

Header -> Borla or good quality replica (Tsudo, AMR, Mores Performance, CNT)

Cat pipe -> Custom build with TWO cats or RandomTech Dual Cat-pipe

CBE -> This is tough because most LGT systems are 3" and do not have a resonator so the drone would be horrible. What I would do is look for a used cheap CBE (GMS, XO2, any one really) and then plan to add a nice resonator inline to knock down the drone.

For that I would use a Vibrant Super Quiet muffler.

You could also buy 2.25" piping, decent mufflers and supporting hardware(flanges, hangers and a good resonator) and have one built IF you could get it done for a decent price would cost the same as buying a good used LGT and adding the resonator

I had one built for my 2008 cost me $330 and $178 in parts

What did you get for $178 in parts and the $330 in labor? I have a leak in my y-pipe (in the crack where it splits) and just found one of my mufflers to have dropped. Also my CEL (P0420) is on which I'm guessing its the rear o2 sensor (No loss in power or fuel economy)? I have 141k on my 05 legacy N/A and I'm looking to get it fixed as cheap as possible but in good quality. I was thinking in having a local shop bend the piping to match OEM but looking for best option. On another front all I can seem to find is $1k+ replacement systems and only for the LGT. I would like to keep the repairs under $500 if possible. You seem to know what you are talking about so if you could give some input it would be appreciated.

Archived