LegacyGT.com

Cars from other dealers

Paradiso

I've been searching my area for an 05 5MT, they are getting scarce. I have found a couple of possibles. Can I go to the various dealers in my area and ask for a price on a specific car at another dealer?

It seems kinda wierd since we're talking abut a specific car, but I guess they just trade the cars around?

Any insight? Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I'm gonna try this again... anyone??

My local dealers don't have any 5MT 05 LGTs. Do I have to find one and then go to that dealership or is it reasonable to try to have my local dealer find the car and make a deal with them?

I'm gonna try this again... anyone??

My local dealers don't have any 5MT 05 LGTs. Do I have to find one and then go to that dealership or is it reasonable to try to have my local dealer find the car and make a deal with them?

Your local dealer should be willing to do that for ya. Otherwise, call Natick Subaru and Planet Subaru, both are Boston area. Natick is obviously west of town in Natick. Planet is south of town on Rte 3 heading towards the Cape...I believe. If possible ask to speak with the fleet mgr. I know either one of those dealers will gladly search all New England dealers for you. There is a member on this forum who works in sales at Planet, but his username escapes me. Viperenvy or something?? It's generally better to deal directly with the store that has the car you want in their inventory, so if possible, locate the car on your own.

If you like your dealership and they've done the hard work already...have them find you one. The other dealership doesn't have to trade if they don't want to. If your dealership calls the other dealership and you've been there already, then they probably won't trade the car since they will think it's the same customer.

If all else fails go to the other dealership if your dealership can't help you get the one you want.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Wow, that got a lot of responses this time!

I've been searching using SNE web site http://www.sne1.com and can't find exactly what I want. I'm not sure if that's the best source or not.

Bottom line, I'm being very picky: Gotta be 5MT, GT LTD and black interior. Prefer Regal Blue, willing to consider other colors (not white, not red).

There are very few 5 MTs in all of New England (Still hard for me to believe that auto is so popular) I REALLY don't like the taupe interior (sorry to all those who have it and like it).

I'd consider an 06 but SOA has really screwed the pooch with their ridiculous color option limitations and no 5MT GT wagon decision.

I may end up with a G35 or an audi after all. :icon_frow (really wouldn't be so bad of course)

There are good things and bad things with dealers trading cars. Good, you can get the car you want from that dealer if they don't have it. Bad, your dealer has to pay invoice for that car, which means they need to make money on the sale so you end up paying more for it. When I contacted my dealer about finding a car, the price was at least $500 over invoice if they have to get it from another dealer.

What you should do is go to Subaru's webpage and do a search for dealers in your area. Then go through one by one to see who has the car you want. Contact their internet sales person and get a price quote. If there's a huge difference in price, might want to considering driving there.

I've been searching using SNE web site http://www.sne1.com and can't find exactly what I want.

Bottom line, I'm being very picky: Gotta be 5MT, GT LTD and black interior.

I'd consider an 06 but SOA has really screwed the pooch with their ridiculous color option limitations and no 5MT GT wagon decision.

I may end up with a G35 or an audi after all. :icon_frow (really wouldn't be so bad of course)

So are you looking for a GT Ltd 5MT wagon or sedan? If you want a sedan, you're saying you want Regal Blue with the charcoal interior? Then yeah, not avail for '06. But if you're willing to live with black or silver...well, there's your answer. You can order new and get the car outfitted to your exact specs.

Also, if you're set on getting an '05, do exactly what Scotty says. Just expand your search radius. Go to http://www.subaru.com/servlet/DealerSearch?dealerSearchString=&includeMap=true&bestFit=true

choose a state, then start searching each dealer's inventory. They keep this reasonably up-to-date.

I knew exactly what I was looking for, so my dealer ended up bringing it in from another dealership somewhere in Massachusetts. It took a couple weeks, I paid a bit more, but in the end I got what I wanted.

http://www.illfindsomethingtoputhere.com/funforum/images/smilies/rockon.gif

Thanks all for your replies.

I've searched like a mofo and can't find the exact car I want, frankly I'm worn out from going to dealer's web sites and searching Inventory. ( I went to the web sites of the closest 80 dealers!)

If my local dealer has to get the car from another dealer what room for negotiation do I still have?

Thanks again

John

I've searched like a mofo and can't find the exact car I want, frankly I'm worn out from going to dealer's web sites and searching Inventory. ( I went to the web sites of the closest 80 dealers!)

I searched the inventory of every dealer, in all 50 states, twice! The first time was for satin white on black and when I concluded there were none, silver on black. My local dealer was willing to go and get an 05 for me at the price I wanted, $24K which essentially was a no money deal for him. The dealerships he was working with were not interested in trading cars, as they just wanted to get rid of the 05's period. By the time the paperwork was signed and arrangements were being made to transfer the car, we found out it had 4,000 miles on it (demo). That cost me 4-5 days and all of the other cars on my list were since gone. I ended up buying an 06.

I feel your pain.

ignore him, he'll go away.

Thanks all for your replies.

If my local dealer has to get the car from another dealer what room for negotiation do I still have?

Thanks again

John

Instead of you searching...have a dealer search...they have a conclusive database of all the cars in the country

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Instead of you searching...have a dealer search...they have a conclusive database of all the cars in the country

Thanks, that's my plan for today. I'll see if they are interested in searching for me and what kind of a deal I can make. Just don't know if I have as much "play" in the numbers for negotiating if they have to get the car from someplace else.

Thanks, that's my plan for today. I'll see if they are interested in searching for me and what kind of a deal I can make. Just don't know if I have as much "play" in the numbers for negotiating if they have to get the car from someplace else.

that may be true but you will still have the rebates and what not. still very worth it

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Jezebel - are you looking for a limited sedan or limited wagon? If sedan, you can always order an '06 in silver or black if you're willing to pay a bit more. If wagon, then of course you'll have to find an '05...unless you know someone in Canada. They still have the 5MT avail on the wagon for '06...go figure. :(

Jezebel - are you looking for a limited sedan or limited wagon? If sedan, you can always order an '06 in silver or black if you're willing to pay a bit more. If wagon, then of course you'll have to find an '05...unless you know someone in Canada. They still have the 5MT avail on the wagon for '06...go figure. :(

Thanks, I really wanted Regal Blue with Black interior and 5MT. That meant 05 whether sedan or wagon. I was at the point where I'd go with either if I could get the rest. Atlantic Blue is close enough. If the final negotiations go well I could make the deal tomorrow. Wish me luck!

So I went in this morning to have them evaluate my trade (2000 Eclipse GT, 41K). Bottom line, they come back with a net price of $19,800. I just look at the mgr and say, "That's not gonna work. I was thinking $16,500"

He just called me and said they can do $18K. I told him I'd think about it. At this point I'm thinking that $17,000 is my bottom line, either they can do that or they can't. What do you think, am I being unreasonable?

On a side note, I have to say I'm surprised at how much I'm thinking about trading the Eclipse, I've really loved this car. It helps though, since I can walk from this deal if I need to and not really worry about it. I'll just throw the blizzaks on the Eclipse and plow through another NE winter!

Perhaps tomorrow will bring a new Legacy perhaps not.

Archived