LegacyGT.com

Can you alter how MP3s are shuffled?

I play MP3s on a thumb drive (3 GB+) in shuffle mode by file (as opposed to by folder). The radio seems to constantly pick the same group of files to play & most of those are from the first half of the alphabet. I rarely get an MP3 from the second half. Any ideas how to get a broader set of MP3s to play in shuffle mode? The thumb drive is always reformatted before adding new songs.

I don't have any experience with a '17 radio, but I'm going to guess there is no way to change how the files are shuffled.

I recently had a similar experience with the aftermarket Kenwood radio in my '05 Legacy, however. I discovered that the radio was only able to access files on my flash drive from artists beginning with A thru P. I had my flash drive set up as

X:\artist\album\trackname.mp3

Basically what I found out is my radio can only access a maximum of 250 folders, and I had over 300 artist folders, so the folders (and the files in them) beyond the 250 were just ignored. I'm not sure if that's what you're experiencing or not.

I did find the owner's manual for 2017, and it indicates the radio can access a max of 512 folders. And each folder can have a max of 255 files, and the radio can handle up to 8000 total files on the flash drive.

So not sure if this helps or not. In my own case, what I did for now was to create "master" folders on the flash drive, such as

x:\folder1

x:\folder2

x:\folder3

x:\folder4

and put 900 files in each folder; I can have a max of 999 files in each folder. This means if I ever wanted to manually find a particular song to play, it would be very difficult, but I don't think I've ever done that, I just keep it on random and let it rip. At least with that folder layout I know all songs are accessible to be played.

If all that doesn't help, then I'm not sure.... I have experienced other radios that tended to "randomly" pick the same songs to play. I even seem to remember that happening with a 12 disc CD changer. Whatever the algorithm was the system used, it would just tend to select the same songs over time. Nothing you can do about that, I don't think.

Edited by csaari

Thanks for your reply, csaari. My flash drive is setup as

X:\artist\trackname.mp3 with 267 folders (actual files is ?, but nowhere near 8k). I suspect you're correct in that there's no way to change how the radio shuffles. I guess that means taking it out of shuffling & just play the mp3s straight.