LegacyGT.com

Bring my baby back!

Ok so my transmission is dead I’ve been doing a lot of research on my car and can anyone let me know if this combination will work together.

08-09 spec B transmission with 04-05 sti R180 rear diff, 07-09 spec B axels for the rear and stock legacy gt front axels and Spec B driveshaft. I also read somewhere that you have to do something to the drive shaft in order for it to work.. any more info would be a huge help on getting my car back on the road. Thanks!

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Just trying to give you the correct information in the thread that list the gear ratio's and I think the other sticky there has the 6mt swap info.

Sorry just trying to help.

Or I could have said yea it will work. But I thought you'd rather see the info and have proof.

Because I really don't know the answer, just know where to go to get it.

I stuck with the 5mt and blast plates, shift's nice and is stronger.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Ok so my transmission is dead I’ve been doing a lot of research on my car and can anyone let me know if this combination will work together.

08-09 spec B transmission with 04-05 sti R180 rear diff, 07-09 spec B axels for the rear and stock legacy gt front axels and Spec B driveshaft. I also read somewhere that you have to do something to the drive shaft in order for it to work.. any more info would be a huge help on getting my car back on the road. Thanks!

is there a reason you're going with the specB transmission? I'd imagine it would be much easier and cheaper to find an STI 6 speed but maybe im wrong.

I'm confuzzled.

You'll probably take this improperly(hopefully not!)... but if you're taking on a 5EAT to 6MT swap, you should be asking something more in depth than "doing something to the driveshaft but I can't remember." Things like configuring the ECU pinout, re-working the neutral and reverse switch, etc.

Also, for cost's sake; why not just swap in a good used 5EAT? You can do that for ~$1500. Then, it'd be easier to sell the GT and get something that handles what you're doing better. If you blew a trans I'm guessing either by brake boosting or lots of shifting at stage 2+ power/overheating.

MTBwrench's Stage 3 5EAT #racewagon 266awhp/255awtq @17.5psi, Tuned By Graham of Boosted Performance

Everyone knows what I taste like.

Once you're done, next time you take it racing make sure you don't dump the clutch below about 4700 RPM. It's the sweet spot for the 6 speed and it launches hard but has lower risk of breaking if it's over 4700 when you dump the clutch.
I could suck start a snow blower.

I'm confuzzled.

You'll probably take this improperly(hopefully not!)... but if you're taking on a 5EAT to 6MT swap, you should be asking something more in depth than "doing something to the driveshaft but I can't remember." Things like configuring the ECU pinout, re-working the neutral and reverse switch, etc.

Also, for cost's sake; why not just swap in a good used 5EAT? You can do that for ~$1500. Then, it'd be easier to sell the GT and get something that handles what you're doing better. If you blew a trans I'm guessing either by brake boosting or lots of shifting at stage 2+ power/overheating.

Yeah those are going to be my next questions lol and it was brake boosting on stage 2 that broke the trans. I also don’t wanna sell my car Ide rather upgrade then sell I’m not easily scared away from a tough task. But if anyone knows what driveshaft mod I need to do please fill in the blank for me! I have all the money to do it I’m just tryna figure everything out first. And I already got a infinity g35 to get around so that’s not a problem.

Just trying to give you the correct information in the thread that list the gear ratio's and I think the other sticky there has the 6mt swap info.

Sorry just trying to help.

Or I could have said yea it will work. But I thought you'd rather see the info and have proof.

Because I really don't know the answer, just know where to go to get it.

I stuck with the 5mt and blast plates, shift's nice and is stronger.

Your link helped out a lot thanks and sorry for being a dick lol

Launching 6 speeds, is there a proper way to do this? I always seem to lose power if I try to launch.

You can pre-load the driveline using the e-brake. Pull up the e-brake and hold it in your right hand, thumb on the button, give it some rpm and let the clutch out a little until you feel the slack is out. Hold that until you see the last yellow light is ON, then release the e-brake and let the clutch out.

Yeah those are going to be my next questions lol and it was brake boosting on stage 2 that broke the trans. I also don’t wanna sell my car Ide rather upgrade then sell I’m not easily scared away from a tough task. But if anyone knows what driveshaft mod I need to do please fill in the blank for me! I have all the money to do it I’m just tryna figure everything out first. And I already got a infinity g35 to get around so that’s not a problem.

I seem to recall you use a 5eat for the 5mt swap. For a 6mt swap just use that shaft.

Hint, use a STI flywheel and clutch kit, not a Spec B FW.

Ok say I put the 05 sti 6spd trans in my 05 Legacy gt wagon with the 05 rear diff and use a Spec B driveshaft, and replace the differential's input flange with the R160 flange will that work?

Or is there a driveshaft that will bolt rite up? I’m assuming the wagon is longer then sedan legacy or the spec b.. will my stock driveshaft bolt up?

Have you checked to make sure the final drives match? I'd be willing to bet they don't. In that case, you'll wreck the center diff. Also, IIRC, sedan and wagon are same length.

Why are you so set on mixing 5MT parts with 6MT parts, cost reduction? It seems like a recipe for a bad time.

MTBwrench's Stage 3 5EAT #racewagon 266awhp/255awtq @17.5psi, Tuned By Graham of Boosted Performance

Have you checked to make sure the final drives match? I'd be willing to bet they don't. In that case, you'll wreck the center diff. Also, IIRC, sedan and wagon are same length.

Why are you so set on mixing 5MT parts with 6MT parts, cost reduction? It seems like a recipe for a bad time.

I like this guy... he always plays devil's advocate and usually rains on everyone's parade with true knowledge. I value that!

I agree with too much money on it. If moneys not a problem just pay someone else, and then if moneys a reason not to do it, might as well just not waste the effort. Then again, if you do the 6mt swap, I'll gladly tell you I'm happy you did it lol...

This logic probably make a no sense!

I like this guy... he always plays devil's advocate and usually rains on everyone's parade with true knowledge. I value that!

I tend to do that, however I will add that the only reason I play "devil's advocate" so much is the simple fact that I am just alllll too familiar with this process, having just broken myself of it in recent years. :) OP, if you're really looking for a plethora of manual swap info, look at Cbax's build thread for his OBXT. He swapped his 5EAT for a 6MT just last year. There's lots in there about tricking the ECU with re-pinning/ ROM's etc. and the various mechanical steps needed as well.

Also, I'd strongly recommend just getting an R180 rear diff and spec.b axles for both longevity and the ease of the swap. If not, please do your homework! I've also just recently found out that the internal transfer shaft ratios can be different as well, complicating things further...

Plan on getting a full 2005 sti swap comes with trans rear diff and brembos gunna use spec b axels for the rear, Legacy gt axels for the front and go with a custom driveshaft but was told the spec b or the AT legacy driveshaft will work. Then I’m gunna take the car to a shop to get wired up if I can’t do it myself. Money is not a problem and I’m not selling my car deffinetly don’t get scared easily..

Since you seem to have plenty of money and like racing you'd be better off putting a used auto in the subie and using that for the daily and then do an LS swap on the G35. If all you want to do is win races, HP/dollar is better invested in the G35, even just a turbo kit on the stock V6 will net a faster car than your your current stage 2 LGT.

BETTER YET: used auto in the LGT, sell the G35 and go race a proven platform like a Fox body mustang.

If you insist on racing the Subie, well then better pull the engine and rebuild that (with all the go fast parts) while all this tranny/diff swapping is happening. Once all that is done, you'll have invested way more money than the guy that is still beating you with a junk yard LS and an eBay turbo kit....

Since you seem to have plenty of money and like racing you'd be better off putting a used auto in the subie and using that for the daily and then do an LS swap on the G35. If all you want to do is win races, HP/dollar is better invested in the G35, even just a turbo kit on the stock V6 will net a faster car than your your current stage 2 LGT.

BETTER YET: used auto in the LGT, sell the G35 and go race a proven platform like a Fox body mustang.

If you insist on racing the Subie, well then better pull the engine and rebuild that (with all the go fast parts) while all this tranny/diff swapping is happening. Once all that is done, you'll have invested way more money than the guy that is still beating you with a junk yard LS and an eBay turbo kit....

I've had sooo many foxbodies... love them! Buy a QA1 or Team Z setup and they're actually pretty damn good! Buy an 89-92 which is MAF and not speed density. Throw a $1800 turbo kit on it with fuel system to match and you can make 400-500 WHP on the stock block, stock heads and stock cam as those years also had forged pistons... the good ole days, things where cheap, fun, rumbley, and smelt like raw fuel..

Should have never sold my 86 notchback 5.0 5 speed... or the 86 GT turbo 306ci turbo in minty fresh condition.. but I was dumb and and sold it due to college and not needing 2/3 vehicles like I had.

This LGT is a nice mix of everything in one. Not necessarily any cheaper than 2 of the other vehicles put together though! A lot easier to store...

Why dont you sell your stock POS legacy and buy all that stuff? And you act like there’s not fast Subaru’s out there?.. I’ve seen plenty of fast Subaru’s smokin Cameros Mustangs GTRs I’ve seen it all and plus I already owned a Maro I’ve already owned a mustang over it and I love my legacy wagon doubt Ide ever sell it. So back to the topic and if you don’t know anything I’m asking please don’t post on here with that off topic BS thanks.

Why dont you sell your stock POS legacy and buy all that stuff? And you act like there’s not fast Subaru’s out there?.. I’ve seen plenty of fast Subaru’s smokin Cameros Mustangs GTRs I’ve seen it all and plus I already owned a Maro I’ve already owned a mustang over it and I love my legacy wagon doubt Ide ever sell it. So back to the topic and if you don’t know anything I’m asking please don’t post on here with that off topic BS thanks.

Don't take offense to anything he said, he just gave honest advice.

We are still giving advice on the swap even when the debate has been covered before and all information is somewhere on the site. Just don't expect too much out of the platform, and please do not get over your head on these builds. Getting too close to your budget and needing to spend 1k or 2k in other random things will force you somewhere you do not want to be, and may be necessary to sell the car to get out from under it.

If money isn't an issue, I need a new short block for Christmas please!

Archived