LegacyGT.com

Brake Pipe recall from 2014

bluesuby

Six years ago I was asked to bring my 2005 LGT wagon in for recall WQK 47. The dealer tech found no fluid leaking from the rear brake lines and sprayed a waxy rust preventative on the metal lines. Yesterday I noticed a puddle on the driveway, a half full brake fluid reservoir and after a quick drive around the neighborhood a soft pedal and a good amount of brake fluid being expelled.

Has anyone had experience with Subaru making good on this recall a second time around? Seems to me the problem was never solved, just covered up. First call is to Cherry Hill Subaru. I anticipate a second call to SOA, I am not driving the car anywhere, Leakage is catastrophic and the car goes by flatbed.

Any comments appreciated!

I had the wax applied from the recall years before i owned the car.

3 days ago I noticed a low brake reservour and a leak in the r/r of the car next to the gas tank.

For me, it turns out the spot that rotted away was not where they sprayed. it was about 5 inches up the line. I don't know if subaru would have considered that as under the recall for me so I just fixed it myself for $20 bucks in universal brake lines from auto zone. a 60" line for the pass side and a 30" line for the drivers side.

Took me about 2 hours to do and I don't have to argue with SOA for weeks.

I had the wax applied from the recall years before i owned the car.

3 days ago I noticed a low brake reservour and a leak in the r/r of the car next to the gas tank.

For me, it turns out the spot that rotted away was not where they sprayed. it was about 5 inches up the line. I don't know if subaru would have considered that as under the recall for me so I just fixed it myself for $20 bucks in universal brake lines from auto zone. a 60" line for the pass side and a 30" line for the drivers side.

Took me about 2 hours to do and I don't have to argue with SOA for weeks.

This is anything but a small problem. The car is puking fluid like you cannot believe. I'm thinking replacement of the entire line (maybe both....there may very well be two).

This is anything but a small problem. The car is puking fluid like you cannot believe. I'm thinking replacement of the entire line (maybe both....there may very well be two).

Update: Cherry Hill Subaru would not return my calls. SOA listened and told me my car is too old and has too many miles to consider repairs (unless I do it on my own). They aded that they performed recall work according to instructions, and since 6 years have gone by they have lived up to their responsibilities.

I told the SOA rep (Brian) they might wish to reconsider their position. Many people would not notice a soft brake pedal, and by the time they discovered the car is not going to stop as planned, it will stop but not without some help from another car or a tree. If anyone finds a friend or family member became a victim of this dumb decision please PM me. I will be happy to provide a deposition regarding SOA's decision.

Update:SOA listened and told me my car is too old and has too many miles to consider repairs (unless I do it on my own).

I've vented about this a few times before, and that's the same attitude I've gotten from SOA. During a clutch job, a dealer did my rear main seal since they claimed it was leaking. Well, months after I notice a leak, could be from many places, I don't trust the dealer to be honest and tell me where it's coming from, I ignore it. Less than 2 years later, and 16k or 18k later, my clutch starts to slip, has me convinced it's the rear main seal leaking onto the flywheel and clutch, and also coating my starter with oil.

SOA was totally fixated on the age of my car and how many miles it has. I'm like, they did the clutch, the flywheel, tob, the clutch fork, the rear main seal, literally everything there is new, what difference does mileage make? Anyway, they didn't care, wouldn't do jack. $500 towards a new subie. thx, but no thx.

Bothers me so much that they say well 1 year warranty, unlimited miles. Should stand behind a 2k repair bill less than 2 years later.

Final chapter of this story. Picked up my car from the shop today. Mechanic replaced the brake pipes and was able to do it with a re-routing of the pipes so the gas tank could be left undisturbed. He as unable to find replacement lines so he fabricated some from new pipe. I asked if there was any other corrosion or issues. He said he read the recall info I left for him and he said the dealer may have inspected the lines but did not apply an anti-corrosion to the original pipes. Because the pipes are hidden above a splash shield, the absence of anti-corrosion spray would not be evident. Very sad comment on trusting some dealers.

Final chapter of this story. Picked up my car from the shop today. Mechanic replaced the brake pipes and was able to do it with a re-routing of the pipes so the gas tank could be left undisturbed. He as unable to find replacement lines so he fabricated some from new pipe. I asked if there was any other corrosion or issues. He said he read the recall info I left for him and he said the dealer may have inspected the lines but did not apply an anti-corrosion to the original pipes. Because the pipes are hidden above a splash shield, the absence of anti-corrosion spray would not be evident. Very sad comment on trusting some dealers.

I'm thinking about getting this done to my car at some point, can I ask how much you paid?

I'm thinking about getting this done to my car at some point, can I ask how much you paid?

$400 parts and labor. The pipes were fabricated (mechanic runs a racing shop) because oem pipes were unavailable, and the new pipes were re-routed so the gas tank did not have to be dropped. Had the tank been removed there would have been another 6 hours labor added to the bill. I trust this guy and I'm sure the work was done right.