LegacyGT.com

Boxkita's wagon

boxkita

As some have asked, here's some details of my wagon.

Current config as of Nov 2013:

2005 GT Ltd Wagon (Build date: July 2004)

OBP with Black Leather lightly dusted with dog fur

Extra options:

Factory short-shifter

Yakima cross bars (extra long)

Major failures:

- @98k, transmission rebuilt due to noisy 3rd gear, replaced clutch & flywheel with stock units

- @ 101k, #1 piston failed explosively, ejecting parts of #1 rod/piston through out the engine . Rod/Piston/Motor on display at Outback Automotive. More pics of damage.

Upgrades:

Sept 2004:

35% tint on all windows & sunroof

2006/2007:

DRL Delete

April 2011:

rebuild transmission (replace all bearings/bushings, new clutch, flywheel)

Flush brake fluid and change to DOT 4

June 2011:

Cobb Sway bars, rear set on soft setting

Cobb Rear Sway bar reinforcement bracket

Avo Hard Endlinks (rear only, fronts wont fit without moving the mounting tab)

July 2011:

Hawk HPS pads on front

New stock rotors on front

Switched to BFG KDW 2 (235/45/17) on 17x7 et 42 wheels

Sept 2011:

9/2 - Added new undertray

9/3 - At PR, exploded Piston #1 and threw remnants of the unattached rod thru the block then caught fire whereupon firemen put out fire and forcibly removed brand new undertray :rolleyes:

Dec 2011-Mar 2012:

Had Outback Automotive build a new engine using my supplied short block (forged parts) and:

- HTA68 turbo w/Cobb stainless heatshield

- replace stock TMIC w/ process west intercooler TMIC & matching ducting

- full Whiteline bushing replacement, including all LCA pieces

- Grimmspeed AOS install

- KillerB oil pan/windage tray/pickup

- upgraded injectors

- walbro 655 fuel pump

- BC BR coilovers

- Group N engine & transmission mounts

- AVO underchassis brace

- Invidia catted downpipe

- Cobb cast Stainless catless uppipe

- Stainless braided brake lines

- Hawk HPS rear brake pads w/new stock rotor

- JohnJohn tune & dyno run

- change to 10/40 Mobil 1 synthetic oil, will change to something else at next OCI

- New 35% tint to replace failing tint (dogs are destructive)

- rebuild short block, when the main bearings seized after 15 minutes of runtime

- ACT clutch

Estimated dyno results are 336/366 at the wheels @ 22psi. Torque is flat from ~4k - 7k redline. "Detuned" to 310/330 @ 19.3.

Mar 2012:

- corner-balance , aggressive street alignment, light roll on rear fenders from TC Motorsports

- Michelin Super Sport 225/40/18 installed on RPF1 18x8 for track use

April 2012 - first rotation on super sports - front to rear

April 2012 - replaced HPS with HPS+. HPS in front were almost bare metal on left side (drivers), right side still had some life but not enough for another event.

May 2012 - 2nd rotation on super sports (x-wise) - PR is brutal on the right front tire. Still running max pressure to prevent rollover.

May 2012 - RPF1 18x9.5 +38 wheels w/Michelin Sport Cup in 275...this was a waste of money. As much as I wanted it to fit, there was not without massive fender work. Sold the tires. Sold the wheels. - pics http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3908620&postcount=14805

July 3, 2012 - replaced the rear control arms with Whiteline KTA124 - http://www.whiteline.com.au/product_detail4.php?part_number=KTA124

July 5, 2012 - alignment & corner balance to roughly same specs as before (aggressive track with 1 person)

July 5, 2012 - bought a AiM Data Solo2 DL (gps data logger with ECU connection) & GoPro HD with suction cup mount

July 5, 2012 - installed DCT70 & 60 pads front & rear, as well DBA 4000 rotors and Motul 600

July 5, 2012 - bought silver Enkei PF01 17x8 with BFG R1 235/40/17 mounted

much time passes...

End of September 2013 - replace 5mt (5th gear shattered) with brand-new OEM 5mt. Replaced center diff which was nearly locked. Replaced all 4 wheel bearings (the ones that were fried last July) with OEM units (full Subaru warranty). Added Cusco rear chassis braces. Added rear SpecB upper arms. Change oil and send for analysis.

Nov 2, 2013 - catch right front bumper on a curb and pull off right side. Ugh. No real damage until you look underneath, though, mostly the plastic could be heated up and pressed flat again.

Nov 10, 2013 - trade gold RPF1 with 2nd set of Michelin SuperSport for 19" Volk Progressive TE wheels custom powdercoated satin black with Kumho 225/30/19's. Focus's FS thread changed and details were lost. 2 other threads referencing the wheels: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/gi-wtt-seattle-wa-19x8-volk-progressive-tes-recent-satin-147808p2.html and http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/fs-19-x8-volk-progressive-tes-kumhos-84506.html?t=84506

Nov 2013 - take off Kumho (sidewall failure due to PO high-speed run). Replace with Michelin Pilot A/S 3 225/30/19.

May 2014 - HG finally fail after radiator lower tank leak gets too bad. Was puffing white smoke during slalom runs. Parked it right afterwards.

Dec 2014 - Radiator & HG replacement gets its own thread - http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/boxkita-hg-radiator-replacement-233455.html - closed July 2018

2015 - TGV deletes, higher output injectors, and other "required" upgrades

June 2018 - Wagon finally emerges from garage with new HG, JDM "sport" front bumper in original JDM black pearl, 1-off tail lights, and a Westcoast Corsa detail job.

June 2018, 1 day later - Wagon starts puffing white vapor and returns to the garage. For the brief period it ran, it was everything I remembered and then some. :wub:

time passes as wagon collects dust in the garage. Kip & I work on the race wagon. Kip rebuilds his wagon thus vetting a new shop.

Feb 2019 - get frustrated with no car after selling the sonic. Flatbed the wagon to Kip's new shop. Find out my rebuild was ok, however, the head rebuild was a complete clusterF. C&D rebuilding heads. Clutch needs rebuilding as on its last mm of surface. Replacing GS AOS with IAG version. Fixing some other random stuff.

April 2019 - new shop doesn't honor their warranty when things stop working. F'ckers.

May 2019 - replace the o2 sensor and wagon runs better. The shop replaced my big ground wires with wimpy wires, so all the electrical is having issues.

Track results:

March 2012 -So far only have one autox event on the new setup (with KDW tires). Even with an under-performing fuel pump (now rebuilt and working fine), it was still very fast.

March 2012 - Ridge Motorsports lapping

- replace HPS pads with HPS+ all around, rotors unchanged

April 2012 - Autox

April 2012 - Ridge Motorsports HPDE

- rotate tires - front to rear

May 2012 - Pacific Raceways - personal best of 1:49 with a 100mph cap on the main straight. Finally exceeded the limits of the brakes coming into turn 3 (access road bailout on successive laps)

- rotate tires - x-wise

May 2012 - Pacific Raceways - lapping (4.5 hours total)

May 2012 - Pacific Raceways HPDE

May 2012 - Bremerton all-day autox (Sat) (10 runs) + all-day lapping (Sun) (1:20 total)

June 2012 - Pacific Raceways - lapping

June 2012 - Pacific Raceways - lapping

June 2012 - Bremerton - PCA Skills day

Install Hawk DTC-70 pads on front

June 2012 - The Ridge - lapping

Install used set of Nitto NT-01 all-around

June 2012 - Pacific Raceways - all-day/evening HPDE

need to buy new tires, as NT-01 lasted one day

July 6, 2012 - The Ridge - Turn 2

July 7, 2012 - The Ridge - PCA HPDE - need to come up with a brake cooling solution & a better AOS solution. Boiled the brake fluid in the last session. And ran out of oil in the first session.

Oct 19, 2013 - The Ridge - Turn 2 - Michelin SuperSports with Hawk HPS. Colder temps, averaged 2:20/lap. Brakes were very soft by end of first session.

Next events

2013 is my year for a Spec Miata.

Parts list:

HawkPadsDirect - June 4, 2012

Hawk DTC-70 Front Pads - HB533U.668 - $167.08/set

Hawk DTC-60 Rear Pads - HB434G.543 - $137.90/set

From Fred Beans order - May 4, 2011

Hawk HPS Subaru Legacy GT Front Brake Pad Set HB533F.668 - $88/set

Hawk HPS Subaru Legacy GT Rear Brake Pad Set HB434F.543 - $80/set

Hawk HP+ Legacy GT Front Brake Pads HB533N.668 - $124/set

Hawk HP+ Legacy GT Rear Brake Pads HB434N.543 - $98/set

Pictures:

Dyno Chart from tuning after build (Feb 2012)

Pic with Volk Racing wheels installed (Jan 2014)

On track pic is from Audi day at The Ridge on slicks :-)

Pic on alignment rack is 275/30/18 Continental slicks on 18x9.5 +35 Enkei RPF1 SBC

Still from a video of wagon passing a Ferrari. I followed the Ferrari for several laps because, for the first time, I couldn't hear my car keys when accelerating.

Boxkita.jpg.f228200665c0e52b9bab3302c303bf7a.jpg

WagonAfterWash1024.thumb.jpg.6802557dd2a8d71330dcb08f769e70c3.jpg

Turn15.jpg.584f21b8c7fbbe0d9461b08b4afaff8f.jpg

rightside_fromrear_small.jpg.525437000133174bbf97ae46b37cb1e5.jpg

BoxkitaJune2018.thumb.jpg.754ccb780965ee7466e97fa180bd99c0.jpg

WagonPassesFerrari.jpg.4e94282215619df640de1aae04584f80.jpg

Edited by boxkita
update details on Volk 19's
  • Like 1

9/2 - Added new undertray

9/3 - At PR, exploded Piston #1 and threw remnants of the unattached rod thru the block then caught fire whereupon firemen put out fire and forcibly removed brand new undertray :rolleyes:

This is mildly funny, why does life seem to do that kind of thing too often?

- rebuild short block, when the main bearings seized after 15 minutes of runtime

Whats up with this? The whole build initially failed and had to be redone?

Nice build and car!

This is mildly funny, why does life seem to do that kind of thing too often?

Whats up with this? The whole build initially failed and had to be redone?

Nice build and car!

Fire? Talk about adding insult to injury. :-)

I learned some valuable lessons on this build:

1. There's no such thing as a "small" turbo upgrade

2. Going fast with reliability costs large dollars

3. If you buy a short block off CL, take someone along who's an expert. Not just saw it on youtube. I thought it was a screaming deal, and I did every time something else went wrong. I could have had top-notch new block for what I spent buying & fixing this block. I dont quite have a hand-grenade now, but I did come down in parts quality compared to what I wanted.

Nice! Any thoughts on a race fuel tune for track days? That turbo would be great for that.

I wanted to, however, paying for tuning is expensive (dyno/street tuning is by the hour). Learning to tune may be expensive (no more money for engine parts). At any rate, I dont have any way to flash a new tune at the track. On top of which, the tune would only be useful if you had a whole tank of 108, not just a mix.

On track days, I'll refill with 108 as the day goes on. Which has helped in the past on the stock motor.

At this point, I have so much power on tap that adding more would be a negative benefit. I may turn down the boost even more depending on the results of testing at the Ridge tomorrow. In AutoX, I never got above 4-5k rpm and the torque spike at 3.5k is too late to really do good.

boxkita, did you get your wagon new and then just decide to rape it a little less than a year ago? :lol:

Judging by my VIN, I have the 3rd one built. I put money down in late May and took delivery in August 2004.

It was a DD for a few years, then demoted to dog carrier and weekend trips. Finally, just sitting there when the much hated prius arrived. On a whim, I went to a Driver Skills class put on the Porsche club. Then a HPDE day. Passing Porsches in wagon with snow tires had a certain appeal. Then I wanted better lap times. Before I blew up the engine, I had planned on upgrading the suspension a little bit and getting a tune. And buying a Porsche 944 track car.

Looking back on the year (its been a year, give or take a couple of days since the first skills day), I should have sold the wagon and bought a caged 944. I'd have been money ahead.

Then again, a 944 has nothing on a 3rd gear romp thru traffic at 6000rpm.

what kind of clutch you running and any pics of the TMIC installed? Do want the process west kit, looks very nice!

I think its an Exedy clutch. I forget what was spec'ed and the invoice doesnt have the name. So far, it holds well with no slippage.

The process west kit (including ducting) looks good. And has stayed very cool. It does get heat-soaked if sitting at idle or on the dyno. However a 5 pound bag of ice easily fits on top. :-)

And have fun carrying a dog in a 944.

We often go camping nearby the Packwood autocross site. Wife, 2 toddlers, tent, gear all fit in our sedan. Then I go beat up the street tire class.

When I went shopping for ours in 2006, I wanted a wagon, but settled for a sedan. Excited to see your wagon Sunday.

Judging by my VIN, I have the 3rd one built. I put money down in late May and took delivery in August 2004.

It was a DD for a few years, then demoted to dog carrier and weekend trips. Finally, just sitting there when the much hated prius arrived. On a whim, I went to a Driver Skills class put on the Porsche club. Then a HPDE day. Passing Porsches in wagon with snow tires had a certain appeal. Then I wanted better lap times. Before I blew up the engine, I had planned on upgrading the suspension a little bit and getting a tune. And buying a Porsche 944 track car.

Looking back on the year (its been a year, give or take a couple of days since the first skills day), I should have sold the wagon and bought a caged 944. I'd have been money ahead.

I bought mine in Sep 2004. Started my first track day on it in Sep 2008.

I thought you had just bought yours recently because you weren't active until fairly recently. Now it all makes sense b/c I would have bought a different car if I had wanted it to be a track toy. LGT wagons are fun to drive on the track but I think the length of the wheel base can be unwieldy especially on T3A/T3B at PR.

I have enough drama for now.....

Somebody has a OBP LGT limited wagon with 5speed and subwoofer, which is what I ordered. The no subwoofer with factory short shifter showed up first, so I took that.

As a track toy, the wagon would not have been my first choice. However, in its current config, it's amazing on the track. Other than the front straight, 3rd gear was the perfect gear at the Ridge. It pulled from 35 all the way to 90+.

• 1 month later...

Pics? :D

Great to see other wagons out romping at the track! Ryan can verify that I did an HPDE class and track day at PR a couple years ago. Haven't been back since. Probably should now that I've got a lot more power, front LSD, and better suspension for it.

I got mine new too. Purchased in June of '04. ;)

Join the Audi club, come to a PCA event (they allow other clubs), have a good time. Would be cool to have several LGTs show up for a Porsche HPDE day.

Not many pictures of the wagon...its pretty dull (on purpose). Though the gold RPF1 wheels are "shiny". A few from the early track days are here (all stock): http://legacygt.com/forums/vbpicgallery.php?do=view&g=1827 . A current pic is attached.

Here's some track day vids:

Pacific Raceways - April 2011 (all stock w/all season tires)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSTw4kxqyXY]PCA DE at PIR Pacific Raceways - YouTube[/ame]

Bremerton - May 2011 - AutoX practice with Audi club (all stock w/all season tires)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfIr3vOqAms]Bremerton Raceway AutoX Practice session w/ AudiNW club - YouTube[/ame]

Ridge Motorsports - March 16, 2012

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3888303&postcount=7104

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3888360&postcount=7106

GT_Sunday.jpg.c325c267af47bc2047256e25fd9c728a.jpg

Edited by boxkita

• 3 months later...
Just had a great weekend at Mid America Motorplex in my wagon. Was having a great time chasing down STI's and passing M3s etc. I know how you feel. :) So many people came up to me and had to ask what kind of car I had. Good to see another tracked wagon around. :)

like I said.. it was $100/day fall last year, and then $125/day in spring this year. I'm hoping they don't raise the price further.

what paving?

I'll definitely be at as many track days as I can next year. I really missed out this year by having to save up for the M3 :(

From an email from Tom Pritchett, owner of Turn 2 lapping (.com), mailed on Aug 23:

I was in the Pacific Raceways Offices talking to Jason and Tracie this week. They have received bids for the asphalt work, they will be accepting one and it will be completed by the end of the year! We are working out some logistics for the run off areas changing them from the gravel/rocks/boulders to coarse sand so no more dents, broken windshields, or long breaks doing clean up when someone steps off! This is great news for all of us

I should be at the October 20th TNT for sure.. and hopefully either October 27th or November 3rd. I need to try and fix a few more oil leaks on the car before I push it too much.

I'll make an effort to get to a few of the spring TNT's as well. Now that I have the car.. the budget will be split pretty evenly between working on it and abusing it at the track :D