LegacyGT.com

Best first suspension mods

datkaosguy

Looking to upgrade my suspension on my 2011 legacy and debating what would be the best thing to start with. Suggestions? Links? Would like to eventually lower it and add some large wheels & tires but just looking for suggestions.

what are you looking to spend? good, inexpensive mod is a rear swaybar (the 19 or 20mm ones from the STi work) then the cost goes up from there - better struts, stiffer springs, etc. - there are lots of threads in the 5th gen forum - Koni's are pretty popular and a huge improvement over OEM - the 13-14 springs are stiffer and the struts better damped than the 10-12, so that's an option as well - there are a few options for lowering springs, etc. as well.

I second the Rear Sway Bar. It just helps the car feel so much more level while turning, which is a big confidence booster.

I would start there and run it for a while as you consider other options.

I got a used 20mm 2015 WRX bar on ebay for $64 and a 26mm 2013/14 Legacy bar for $54 (got lucky on that one). Also purchased front a rear CKSSP poly bushings for $73. Just need to get off my butt and install them now.

On a 2011, the age and mileage of the car might necessitate some new bushings. Those would help bring the car back to its original level of handling prowess, so to speak.

I'd recommend starting with an upgraded strut and spring setup before doing sway bars, but that's just me. Lowering the car will put new stress on your suspension bushings, so doing those soon after would be a priority. I'm not sure what support the 5th gen Leggy gets, but Whiteline makes a full suite of polyurethane bushings for our cars. Depending on what you want to do with the car, those might be a good option. A roll center correction kit is also a good thing to do if you lower the car.

Koni shocks are quite popular and I can vouch for them after having had them on my car a few months with H&R springs. I believe Eibach is the popular go-to for your car for springs.