LegacyGT.com

Apartment Living...

Just want to get ideas from folks who live in apartments that do not have hose access. This summer I will be leaving the townhouse where I've been living since I've had the LGT and moving to an apartment. I have been spoiled with the luxury of having a hose and the ability to hand wash my car every week or so in the warm months.

How do those of you who are obsessive about the cleanliness of your vehicles get by with living in apartments? Offer to pay a friend to use his hose once a week? Go back to the parents house (1hr drive) to wash every week? The car wash places are out of the question as is paying a detailer.

When I was apartment living I had no choice but to use the coin-op sprayer wash. I would never use the brush and the car never got fully clean with just the sprayer. So I would just do the best the sprayer could do and then I drove the car back to my covered parking spot at the apartment without drying the car. Once I was home I would use Poorboy's Spray and Wipe to clean up the waterspots and all the stuff the spray missed. Spray and Wipe is a type of waterless wash. It isn't just a quick detailer. It has a lot more cleaning power than that. Anyway, I would use that to finish cleaning up the car and then I'd wax it.

Sometimes when I was feeling like not spending the $5 bucks in quarters to wash the car I would actually fill buckets in my bathtub and haul them downstairs to wash my car with. A couple times I had a downstairs neighbor offer to hook a hose up inside his apartment and run it outside for me. I've found that if you are truely obsessive then you will find ways of getting the car done right. ;) More than one way to skin a cat in this business, that's for sure.

I wouldn't offer to pay a friend to use his hose. If they were really your friends then they would let you do it for free.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Hmm...interesting question. What story is the apt? Usually, even apt's have areas where you can attach a hose...maybe get in good with the superintendent of the building, and they will allow you to use their water hose.

For me, I live in a coop, and we have a hose in the back of the building that we are allowed to use. There's one in the parking lot, as well...but the one in the back is more convenient.

Of, you could get two buckets, add soap to one, and leave the other clean. Or, go to a self-wash carwash...where they have a water spray module, and use your own items to clean it.

Good luck, either way.

When I was living in an apartment I use to go to a hand wash place. Its a place that has these high pressure hoses that you buy a token for and use yourself. It cost about $3-4. Mine was close by so sometimes I would even soap down my car with a bucket before driving there.

It was at a gas station so afterwards I would drive to a corner of the gas station lot and dry, polish and wax down the car. I usaully would see two or three other people doing the same thing.

I used to just go to my gf's house, but now I have a new gf that lives farther away. I would say if you have a gf or just a friend that will let you use their hose to wash cars, I'd do that first. Now I'm forced to do this...

I keep a bucket in my trunk with the following in it: soft washmit, tire scrubber, shammy, wax w/yellow sponges, and buffing towels. When I go to the coin operated sprayer, I rinse high pressure then spray the soap on (no brush) and get my mit wet. I go over it by hand with the mit and do the tires, then high pressure rinse and spot free rinse. I shammy it dry, and if I feel really up to it, I wax and buff it. Trust me, it costs more time than money.

God I hate black cars.

There are some good ideas here. I haven't chosen an apartment yet, so I don't know what the situation will be. In the past, I have not had hose access at apartments.

Mblock66: I've never considered washing in the rain before and it sounds like a pretty good idea if you are not going to drive anywhere until the weather clears up. I guess the only problem is water spots.

I may end up doing the wash at a gas station deal until I can land a house!

does that QEW work? i'd be skeptical since it seems to necessitate you drying the car with the grit and crap still on the car.

work=cleans without scratching

Yeah, just the thought of QEW scares me. So did the thought of a spherical earth at one time...

Yeah, just the thought of QEW scares me. So did the thought of a spherical earth at one time...

:lol:

It works great. I have been using it exclusively for a long time now and I have hot and cold water in the garage.

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10068&highlight=qew

QEW and MF towels and a little Quick Detailer afterwards make for some great/quick results. Been using this technique on my black Z28 for summers now after one really good detail each spring and have had nothing but great, deep looking black all summer.

I drive 40 minutes to my buddy's house to wash my car the other week, hahaha.

Thing that sucked is, the morning I woke up at his place, someone had shot a BB into my rear windshield. Whole thing was cracked.. UGH

Had to drive alllll the way back to school, then had to spend a few hundred getting it fixed. Whooptee doo!

Anyways, I gotta try that stuff w/o a hose. Good thing it's raining right now. No cleaning for mee.

-ben

Archived