LegacyGT.com

AOS worth it?

For a daily driver, is it worth it? Will it make the engine last longer? Just asking, as a facebook guy said something like, "no turbo Subaru should be without one." Mine is stage 2 and eats a good amount of oil. I've caught a bit of oil in the intake by the TMIC and while it seems kind of normal, just thought I'd ask...

I don't plan on putting one on my Spec B.

My wagon has had one for about 10 years.

The one I have mounts onto the oil fill tube. You should be able to see it from my click here link.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Remember that AOS can accumulate water in the return line and if you're in a very cold winter climate, that condensation can freeze and not allow the block pressure to vent properly. When that happens, the block pressure has to find someplace to go and it's almost always the piston ring oil seals on the turbo and once that happens, your turbo is blown. I've seen this happen 3 times now, so you're in WI and it gets very cold there in the winter, so beware.

My own opinion is first, Facebook if full of hacks that have no idea what they're talking about, and second, if you have a racecar, then you'll want one because you use it in controlled circumstance and almost always in warmer weather.

A (properly) functioning OEM PCV system is fine for a stg 2 street car. If your seeing more oil than you should (and a little is pretty typical) then you already have bigger problems that an AOS is not gonna fix

i had the gs aos that connects to the oil fill tube. a more worthless piece of crap doesn't exist. because race car.

Because going back to the original configuration wasn't possible, I "upgraded" to a cobb firewall mount system. After the install was done, all I could think "I'm glad I never have to test that on a track".

By the time you actually "need" an aos, you have so many other problems that better solutions avail themselves.

but this question isn't really whether buying an aos is a good idea. it's which one is better. get the one that runs a heater through it to keep it from freezing. killerb makes great products.

the actual race wagon doesn't have one. it has a dry sump with remote reservoir. It's really effective. Way better solution than an aos. want to buy it? you'd have the most blingy thing possible. no one else has one on a legacy. :)

I agree with the others, mostly unnecessary for a stock or near stock street car.

What you should do is make sure the stock system is functioning correctly and no lines are leaking or plugged. When I pulled my high mileage engine for replacement I found the PCV side of the system was clear but the plastic crossover pipe for the valve cover vents was nearly plugged with goopy sludge.

I have the IAG AOS on my car, but only because it came free with my parts car and I symplified the hose routing. It retains all the stock functionality and fits with the engine cover.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/aos-rebuilding-engine-yay-nayi-282980.html

Here was my post about it.

Personally, I wonder why Subarus have oil burning issues like crazy and Porsches, which also use a boxer engine, don't. I'm inclined to believe that there might be a good reason that Porsche uses AOSes in their OEM cars like the Boxster, but I'm not an engineer.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/aos-rebuilding-engine-yay-nayi-282980.html

Here was my post about it.

Personally, I wonder why Subarus have oil burning issues like crazy and Porsches, which also use a boxer engine, don't. I'm inclined to believe that there might be a good reason that Porsche uses AOSes in their OEM cars like the Boxster, but I'm not an engineer.

My memory is getting mighty fuzzy at this point, but when I took Porsche training I think I remember seeing that there was active scavenging from the heads as well as a well baffled oil sump. Plus the Germans over engineer every thing the PCV system is no exception.

My memory is getting mighty fuzzy at this point, but when I took Porsche training I think I remember seeing that there was active scavenging from the heads as well as a well baffled oil sump. Plus the Germans over engineer every thing the PCV system is no exception.

Sgt.Gator has just implemented head scavenging on his sti heads. finding it was the missing link in getting the oil separator and dry sump working properly.