LegacyGT.com

Anyone with recent trade-in quotes at dealership?

Had a friend just try to trade in his 06 silver GT obviously limited 5 speed with 42kmiles, perfect condition other than a pen tip size dent on the driver rear door, that is only noticable from a certain angle the dent is so small the paint is still perfect.. We drove around and got quotes from 4 dealers, i cant rmember all of them but the highest was 13,200 and the lowest from some little crap dealer was 7500-----LOL. None of these dealers were subie dealers not sure if they woudl have offered more

Took mine in cause they were offering a $1500 down, $129/month 24 month lease on the 2.5 Legacy Special Edition. They quoted me asking me how much I wanted for my LGT that has 69k on it and is pretty much loaded besides the sunroof. I told them that with my total investment in the car and the interest I'm paying on it for the loan, I would be happy with $14,500. They told me that I was out of my damn mind and that I was completely off. They want to give me about $9500-$10200. And they planned on selling it for $17999. I told them to take the 2.5 Special Edition and shove it up their asses. Damn stealers....

unfortunately dealers don't give people kbb for trade in value. i work for a dealership---not subaru---and was told that even tho my 2007 lgt sedan with less than 10k miles on it books for $22050, it was only "really" :rolleyes::rolleyes: worth $17500. the sales manager also never even looked at the car and said that figure was non-negotiable because the Legacy is a "niche" car......:spin::spin:

so even tho US auto sales are in the toilet as a hole, dealers are still not willing to change their archaic practices.....:redface::confused:

I just recently traded my 06 Si limited with 35,000miles on a new Forester,,I got the Forester below dealer invoice and they gave me $12,000 on my trade.

That's a pretty good deal!! Probably due to your LGT being traded in at a Sube dealer. Most of the time the trade value is significantly LESS when traded at a different branded dealership.

I've done the online estimates on trade-ins and guesstimated $15K. However, with dealers losing their A55es on new vehicle sales, you figure they must make it back somewhere and logically trade-in prices are a start. Also they currently need to sit on a used vehicle longer to sell so I can't blame them for lowballing on trades. But I'm still a bit astonished a the prices you guys were quoted on trades. Looks like I'll have to sell the LGT privately before I can take advantage of the sick deals at BMW.

Quote "unfortunately dealers don't give people kbb for trade in value. i work for a dealership---not subaru---and was told that even tho my 2007 lgt sedan with less than 10k miles on it books for $22050, it was only "really" :rolleyes::rolleyes: worth $17500. the sales manager also never even looked at the car and said that figure was non-negotiable because the Legacy is a "niche" car......:spin::spin:"

I actually think that is spot on....figure that your car is worth the LOWEST price the car sold for when it was new....usually about $2 grand below invoice....and that's starting price. For instance, my 2008 Legacy GT 5-speed was bought brand new (48 hours off the truck) for $24,500. So I figure if I turned around to trade it that day, it was worth about 22,500 at a dealer.

Now make it a 1-2 year old model (steepest years of depreciation) with some miles on it. And realize that a dealership will usually offer you at least 2k below retail value (their profit margin).

17k sounds about right.

Joe

When trading in its always best to have a Manheim report. This report is what dealers and finance companys use. It shows the last proce of the car sold in your region you are trying to sell.

I was offered $14,200 for my LGT and it had 4,200 miles on it! All because the last one sold for bout 15k so dealer needs to make some profit. KBB is also used but Manheim would be the best.

If you have a pal in the car industry ask em about Manheim. Its only available for lenders and dealers so if you can be prepared to bring this when trading in your car.

KBB is not an actual radar for how much a car should go for. I work at a dealer and like most in the south east US the go off the average of the selling price of cars at the Manheim (SP) auction. I had them take a look and with your year and millage in perfect shape loaded 10,500 would be a max.

However one just went throught in NJ exactly like your car for 9100 dollars so....

Hope this helps. KBB is not a measure of real world value, not to mention now is an awefull time to trade a car in, no one wants another car to have to try to sell/get rid of unless its a worth while venture.

The truth is trade-in you will never really know what you are getting as they can give you more and have you pay more for the new car. Trade-in is a great way of adding a few extra variables (and emotions) in the transaction to make more money especially if you still owe.

Your best bet is to state you are selling your car yourself and negotiate your best price. Finally when you are satisfied with price state what if I traded in? You will get the real trade in.

The truth is trade-in you will never really know what you are getting as they can give you more and have you pay more for the new car. Trade-in is a great way of adding a few extra variables (and emotions) in the transaction to make more money especially if you still owe.

Your best bet is to state you are selling your car yourself and negotiate your best price. Finally when you are satisfied with price state what if I traded in? You will get the real trade in.

Or just negotiate the difference value.

Archived