LegacyGT.com

Antifreeze / Coolant Availability

The safest option for your Subaru is to use the recommended coolant for your model:

Unfortunately, the dealer parts department isn't always nearby or open when you need them. Fuel stations are notorious for carrying only "All Makes / All Models" formulas whose chemistries differ substantially from what modern Subarus require.

(NOTE: Work-in-progress)

DISCLAIMER: Again, the *safest* option for your Subaru is to use the recommended coolant for your model. Use the following products at your own risk. Please don't drive this way. Batteries not included.

• Conventional Green:
    • (to be continued)

MSDSes:

For years I used only the Subaru blue coolant. On the last change it was just too inconvenient to get, so I used some aftermarket PHOAT coolant for Asian cars. Big mistake. It was really hard to get all the air out of the system. Just to check, I put some of the OEM coolant and aftermarket coolant into bottles and gave both a shake. The aftermarket coolant foamed up and stayed that way much longer than the OEM coolant (mins vs seconds). With the Subaru coolant, the car always self burped after a few drive cycles. With the aftermarket stuff, I had to go in with a tall funnel on the filler tank + squeeze the upper hose for nearly 30 mins. It was a complete waste of time... Next time I'll just grab some OEM coolant when I'm already at a dealership for something else.

Fuel stations are notorious for carrying only "All Makes / All Models" formulas whose chemistries differ substantially from what modern Subarus require.

I work at a (heavy duty) parts store, and we switched coolant suppliers several years ago. The new coolant manufacturer sent a rep in to give us training and whatnot, and in a nutshell, the training was .. well, predominantly just marketing wank. The legitimate questions I did have were answered with very vague "yeah, it'll be fine, just sell him the coolant" types of answers, and when I noticed that one of the points being made in his presentation was contradicted directly on the bottle, I was told that some of the info on the bottle was wrong, and just there for liability.

In other words, it's really difficult to find clear answers on coolant.

I do believe that choosing the correct coolant for your vehicle is very important, but still feel that the $20/ gallon magical blue Subaru stuff probably isn't actually that special. I could be wrong though, and I do have a coolant flush coming up. I'm really curious what others have to say on this subject.

For years I used only the Subaru blue coolant. On the last change it was just too inconvenient to get, so I used some aftermarket PHOAT coolant for Asian cars. Big mistake. It was really hard to get all the air out of the system. Just to check, I put some of the OEM coolant and aftermarket coolant into bottles and gave both a shake. The aftermarket coolant foamed up and stayed that way much longer than the OEM coolant (mins vs seconds). With the Subaru coolant, the car always self burped after a few drive cycles. With the aftermarket stuff, I had to go in with a tall funnel on the filler tank + squeeze the upper hose for nearly 30 mins. It was a complete waste of time... Next time I'll just grab some OEM coolant when I'm already at a dealership for something else.
Would you mind sharing which brand gave you issues with foaming?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...
Can I use the new blue colored Subaru Super Coolant in my pre 2008 Subaru? Yes. You can use the Subaru Super Coolant in engines prior to 2008 that came with the SLLC (AKA OEM green stuff) but you have to follow the maintenance intervals of the SLLC (every 30,000 miles). If the vehicle's coolant is flushed using the Wynn's PowerFlush III machine (the only flush machine authorized by SOA), then you can change the coolant every 6/75k miles. The old and new fluids are compatible with each other, so you could top off the old green with the new blue. However, topping off the new blue with the old green is not recommended as you'd then fall under the older 30,000 mile replacement schedule unless you get your system flushed as above at a later date.

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=504002

FWIW, I have been using Prestone or Peak Global for many years in my cars. Never had a issue with the coolant system.

The wagons been on it since Sept 2008 when I replaced the timing belt kit at 95,000 miles before winter set in. 4 years later the new ej257 got the same, 105,000 miles later, which was this Spring when the timing belt kit was replaced and again Prestone was used.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

FWIW, I have been using Prestone or Peak Global for many years in my cars. Never had a issue with the coolant system.

The wagons been on it since Sept 2008 when I replaced the timing belt kit at 95,000 miles before winter set in. 4 years later the new ej257 got the same, 105,000 miles later, which was this Spring when the timing belt kit was replaced and again Prestone was used.

Which coolants of theirs do you use?

Archived