LegacyGT.com

Another all-aluminum radiator option for the 5th gen GT

Thanks to BBPeiks' STI Radiator install thread and everyone who shared their experiences there, we know what to watch out for to fit bigger radiators into out 5th gen GT's.

With the info in that thread as a reference point, I started looking at the local market to see what I could use for my 2010 GT (which in this area is identical to the USDM models).

Initially I was going to go with an STI rad. But after talking to the local source and discussing what I was looking for, specifically:

-Top tank shape and inlet/outlet position

-No turbo coolant line (the fitting at the top tank passenger side that needed to be plugged on the STI rads)

-No ATF heat exchanger in the lower tank

-Not too thick, but of course thicker than stock (16mm)

He suggested an NA application MT radiator that he had.

So here are the details on the box. Listed to fit 2010 Foresters, but lo and behold, it's actually marked by the manufacturer to fit our cars too! It has all the tabs an the right places as you can see. Maybe if you search the model number on ebay it might come up.

oTHo4H0.jpg

Edited by Scubaboo
Add link to original STI rad install thread

Here are a couple of comparison shots. It is 26mm thick vs 16mm for the stocker.

OPc1UqM.jpg

XP5zPcx.jpg

A very minor difference is the drain location. The all aluminum rad has the plug at end, while the OE rad has the drain in line with what is about the center of the passenger side fan. The different drain location didnt hit anything thankfully.

17y2jeU.jpg

oqfqeg8.jpg

Everything mounted on the rad and ready to install

VJxPnEW.jpg

9gRu9E5.jpg

I did the thermostat while the rad was out. Here are some comparison shots of the original 'stat (84 deg) and the new OE STI 78 deg 'stat (21200AA072). They are pretty much identical. Dont forget to put on a new gasket (21236AA010), the old one looked pretty worn.

1XxCQfg.jpg

r8p6ymE.jpg

qidQdXy.jpg

Rad installed, lots of clearance with no mods at all, it was a drop-in fit.

gcjG2pW.jpg

lRYSW4Y.jpg

ecIzPZI.jpg

I've only been able to take it out twice since install but there are definite improvements.

The early open thermostat results in a movement in usual temp range from 89c-92c to 84c-92c.

On the highway temps would peak at 99c or so with aggressive driving, lately I would only get up to 96c.

The differences dont look to be so big, but it tends to stay lower in general, it is much more reluctant to go up to those lower peak temps. I can imagine shifting the entire range down if the cooling fan operation is tuned to the better rad and lower stat.

I am actually concerned its a bit too cool lol! But I expect that when the power mods get installed the newfound cooling system headroom will be useful. And I hope the lower coolant temps are also translating to lower 5EAT temps.

I really need to get more gauges on lol!

I was concerned this thinner rad would not cool enough to be worthwhile but I am happy with it. I would not hesitate to recommend this size rad as an option for those who cant or dont want to mod for the higher performance STI rad.

Thank you for sharing!

What would you think be the disadvantages of the 78 deg thermostat?

You're welcome, just trying to contribute what I can after all the knowledge I get from fellow enthusiasts like you and the rest of the community.

I am mainly concerned that the engine will not get the oil hot enough to boil off condensation in day to day driving.

No basis for that thought yet though, just that temps are generally lower overall.

I hope to get my oil temp and pressure gauges installed soon to find out.

Edited by Scubaboo

• 3 weeks later...

^looks thicc!

It kinda looks basically like an STI AT rad that comes with a sandwich plate? It has that extra turbo water line fitting at the right side of the top tank too, that would need to be plugged.

Nice marketing on CSF's part, our market cars dont have an oil cooler so an AT version of my rad would be an easy way to get an oil cooler on.

• 10 months later...
Thanks to BBPeiks' STI Radiator install thread and everyone who shared their experiences there, we know what to watch out for to fit bigger radiators into out 5th gen GT's.

With the info in that thread as a reference point, I started looking at the local market to see what I could use for my 2010 GT (which in this area is identical to the USDM models).

Initially I was going to go with an STI rad. But after talking to the local source and discussing what I was looking for, specifically:

-Top tank shape and inlet/outlet position

-No turbo coolant line (the fitting at the top tank passenger side that needed to be plugged on the STI rads)

-No ATF heat exchanger in the lower tank

-Not too thick, but of course thicker than stock (16mm)

He suggested an NA application MT radiator that he had.

So here are the details on the box. Listed to fit 2010 Foresters, but lo and behold, it's actually marked by the manufacturer to fit our cars too! It has all the tabs an the right places as you can see. Maybe if you search the model number on ebay it might come up.

oTHo4H0.jpg

Hi, good day...is it possible for you to forward me a link to purchase one of these radiator for my 2010 legacy also, if possible.

Thanks in advance.

Hi! A few members have asked about this and I put them in touch with the guy I got it from.

He is willing to work with them but shipping comes out to be very expensive and ultimately nobody pushed through with it. It would be cheaper to do the STI rad swap.

If you are still interested let me know and I'll get you his contact details.

Hi! A few members have asked about this and I put them in touch with the guy I got it from.

He is willing to work with them but shipping comes out to be very expensive and ultimately nobody pushed through with it. It would be cheaper to do the STI rad swap.

If you are still interested let me know and I'll get you his contact details.

A 2015+ WRX radiator will work for us since they also don't have the extra hose that the STIs do. I have the Koyorad VH091662. It's a drop in plug and play. Another FB 5th gen owner installed a CSF radiator for the 08+ STi

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk