LegacyGT.com

Amateur Motorsports and How You Can Get Involved with You Legacy.

StoplightAssassin

There are numerous ways to get out and enjoy your car in various forms of motoring activities, whether you have a turbo or non-turbo Legacy or Outback.

Other than going to the drag strip, there are 4 main (5 if you include drifting, but who drifts a Legacy?) types of events open to amateur racers in their daily driver, which only require a basic state issued driver's license and they are detailed in the following posts, but first we're going to talk about car preparation.

Post #1. FAQ/Common Concerns and Pre-Event Car Preparation

Post #2. High Performance Driving Event (HPDE, PDX)

Post #3. Autocross (Autox, AutoSlalom outside of America, or the old official name Solo II, and the new official name Solo)

Post #4. SCCA Rally Cross (RallyX)

Post #5. Time Trials and Time Speed Distance Rally (TSD)

FAQs/Common concerns

Racing is dangerous to me and my car.

The most common worry about participating in one of these events is hurting your car, or more importantly, hurting yourself. Accidents happen, and they can happen anywhere. With the exception of TSD Rallies, drivers must use helmets and are at all times under the supervision of the organizers. If people do bad things, they are asked to leave and won't be allowed back. Any major organization (SCCA, NASA, BMWCCA, PCA, etc) will have EMTs on standby at the event you are participating in.

As for hurting your car, if you've kept up with maintenance, your car should be fine. The more you modify your car from stock, expect problems to arise. A stage 2 Legacy GT should not pose any dangerous reliability problems if it is in proper shape.

Racing is expensive!

It sure can be. There are events for every budget, and I will talk about the associated costs with each of these types of events.

What modifications should I make to my car before the event?

Considering you have a stock car, you shouldn't make any modifications unless it is general maintenance. If you've already modified your car, you'll have a tougher time realizing the performance gains the modifications have given your car.

OK I'll hold off on mods. So any Joe Schmoe can take his daily driver or beater racing?

He can if it passes a tech inspection. See below.

Car Preparation

You haven't exercised in 10 years, so you go to the doctors to get the OK before you start playing your favorite sport again. The same thing goes for getting into amateur motorsports. You need to give your car a thorough evaluation (and sometimes mandatory mechanic's inspection) to make sure it's up to task. If you've kept up with the general maintenance, you SHOULD be fine. You still need to look the car over.

BRAKES - Do you have plenty of pad life left? How are the rotors...are they warped or cracked? Stock pads and rotors will be OK for any event, but expect them to fade after awhile if you are pushing hard doing an HPDE. You can upgrade them as you get faster. Don't forget to check your brake lights. The most important thing you can do before any event is to give your brake system a bleed. Flushing your system with some ATE Superblue or Motul RBF600 is the one modification that I would absolutely recommend before going to an HPDE.

TIRES & WHEELS - How much tread is left? Do you have any punctures? Are they evenly worn? Are your tires matched? DO NOT think you are going to get on track with a set of crappy tires. You will not pass tech inspection. Do your wheels seat correctly? Are they bent or even worse cracked? Are they balanced correctly? Each of the different events have different tire choices to consider and I will discuss that separately.

SUSPENSION - Any noise or popping sounds? Is the car bouncy or is there fluid on the shocks? Put the front end of the car in the air...is there any play in the tie rods? Are the bushings all good...any cracks? How are the sway bars and end links? When is the last time you had the car aligned? Does it track straight?

DRIVELINE - You should already know the general health of your engine and transmission. Is your engine consuming any oil? When did you last change the coolant, oil, and trans fluid? Is your intercooler in good shape? Have you clamped your boost hoses? Absolutely top off all fluids before you go to your event. Is your battery properly secured? Do you have any leaks? If you leak fluid on course, your peers will not be happy.

INTERIOR - Clean out all trash the night before and anything not bolted down. This includes the trunk. Make sure your seatbelts are in proper working order and that the seats themselves have no issues. You'll probably want to bring equipment and tools to the event, which is fine, you'll just have to leave it in the paddock.

WHAT TO BRING FOR RACE DAY

Now this list is just suggestion. All you really need is yourself, your license, and a car in most instances.

Sunscreen!!!! People always seem to forget it!

Money for your entrance fee, lunch, etc

OIL, OIL, OIL

Sunglasses

A hat

WATER

lunch or snacks

Water sprayer for tires and intercooler between runs or sessions

Air pump

Air gauge

Toolkit

Jack

Lugwrench

ABOVE ALL ELSE, BRING YOUR WILLINGNESS TO LEARN AND REALIZATION OF THE FACT THAT YOU ARE SLOW!!!!!

Tire Size Calculator

This tire size calculator is great for performance applications. Going faster isn't always about stuffing the biggest tire possible on any given size of wheel. This calculator will help the user to maximize their car's performance, without just tossing on a huge tire.

http://bndtechsource.ucoz.com/index/tire_data_calculator/0-20

Edited by StoplightAssassin

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

High Performance Driving Event

So what is it exactly?

A HPDE is an instructed on-track driving experience, utilizing your own car. You can run HPDEs on almost every circuit worldwide. You will be taught the fundamentals of high performance track driving. An HPDE is NOT a competition.

Here is a video of a novice LGT driver out on track. The video isn't too exciting, but this is what you should expect as a novice. The instructor will be telling you essentially how to drive your car smoothly around the course. Skip to 2:30 to start the video.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNxeb-Lrqr8]Legacy GT CMP 1st Time at the Track - YouTube[/ame]

What does it cost?

It depends. The fee for most 1 day HPDEs is usually somewhere between $150 and $250. You can usually get a deal if you do a full weekend (if offered) You'll usually run 4 or more 20 minute long, instructed sessions. You'll have an instructor sitting shotgun with you for your entire time. There are organizations that allow novices to go out alone on track. Stay away from these organizations. You won't learn anything and it is dangerous.

The other costs associated with HPDE relate to consuming tires, brake pads, rotors, and fuel. At an HPDE you are driving much faster than you would on the city streets for an extended time, so the parts will wear faster. As you get faster, you will absolutely want to upgrade those systems in your car. Upgrade your brakes, then tires/wheels, then suspension. If you wait on the power mods, your car will have a higher level of reliability.

What else will I need?

Follow the list under car preparation above. The club you are running with will have a list of how they want your tech inspection done. Also check with the club and track you will be running at to see what kind of helmet they require. Most HPDEs require SA rated helmets. Some tracks also have rules about open or closed face helmets. Your club may also be able to provide you with a loaner helmet. Clubs also have rules about your track day attire for safety reasons, so check with that. A fire suit is not required in novice run groups. You may want to consider a nice set of gloves.

Earlier you said you'd tell me what tires and wheels to run.

I could tell you what tire fits MY driving style and budget, but that won't help you a whole lot.

There are tires for every budget, and if you're getting into HPDEs, eventually you will want a dedicated track and wheel combo that performs very well.

Don't waste your time looking at Max Performance Summers (MPS). They have high treadwear ratings which are good for street performance, but not for track performance. Heat cycling MPS tires will eventually lead to them chunking. Their compounds are too hard for regular track use and the grip isn't that good. You can find a set of Extreme Performance Summer (XPS) tires for about the same or a little more cost as the MPS.

If you figure the XPS will give you higher performance and can last as long or longer than MPS when used for HPDEs, you might as well buy the XPS right off the bat.

As for wheels, you'll want a 17x8 +48. Any bigger and you'll be modifying your fenders and the price for tires goes up significantly. You don't have to buy forged 3-piece BBS LMs. A nice set of Enkei or Kosei wheels are fine.

There's still the chance for damaging my vehicle in a crash.

You're right. Even though you are driving in a somewhat controlled environment under the supervision of trained professionals, there is always risk. Anyone who tells you differently hasn't been racing for very long.

Especially if your Legacy/Outback is your daily driver, I would highly recommend getting track day insurance. Your regular insurance company will not foot the bill if you crash your car on track. There are insurance companies out there that specifically cater to the track day crowd. The coverage is based upon agreed value. You, as the car owner, sets the agreed value. The higher the agreed value, the higher the premium. So, the value of your car plus the value of any modifications minus the deductible will be covered in the event of a write-off incident. For example, if your car plus all of the modifications is worth $20,000, expect to spend around $150 for a one day insurance plan.

You can always shop around for the best premium. Companies usually offer discounts for multiple track days. If you google "HPDE Insurance", you will find numerous options available to you.

This sounds like it's for me. Sign me up.

There are numerous websites you can use to find a HPDE in your area.

For more information visit:

National Auto Sport Association (NASA) http://www.nasaproracing.com

Sports Car Club of America (SCCA) http://www.scca.com

BMW Car Club of America (BMWCCA)http://www.bmwcca.org

Porsche Club of America (PCA) http://www.pca.org

http://www.motorsportsreg.com lists all kinds of automotive events countrywide.

http://where2race.com/

The Northeast

http://www.comscc.org/

Mid-Atlantic

http://www.trackdaze.com

Conclusion

In summary, if you've always wanted to race on the tracks the pros do, doing an HPDE can fulfill that. Although the upfront cost for entrance fee and consumables is high, it is the highest $ per seat time event available to you.

Autocross (Solo)<---(click this!)

What is it?

Autocross is a timed driving competition, where the course is comprised of cones the driver has to navigate through as quickly as possible without knocking any cones over. Each downed cone is worth 2 seconds added to your time. Cars are placed into a variety of classes based upon their level of modification. There are classes for almost every car from bone stock, to a stripped out engine swapped race car with huge wings. Autoxes are set up wherever a club can get a sizable plot of tarmac, whether it be a parking lot, airport runway, and sometimes even on racetracks. More than likely, there is an autocross happening within a short drive from your home. People have autocrossed everything from the family station wagon to dually pickups to LeMons cars, so your bone stock Legacy 2.5i will not be embarrassing out there.

Here's one of my videos from 2012 in my STX LGT

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwKg_2cZ0Hk]SJR SCCA AutoX Event #7 - YouTube[/ame]

This is what it looks like on the outside. This is whitetiger in his ESP LGT.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9BnkDHMkcg]NNJR-SCCA ESP LEGACY Clip from Medowlands event. - YouTube[/ame]

How much does it cost?

Autocrosses usually cost $50 for non-club members, but can vary by club and location.

I looked at the classes and they are really confusing.

They confuse me sometimes too! Most autocrosses are held by the SCCA and they've come up with a rule set to try to make autox fun and cost friendly for everyone. There is a class for almost every car with whatever modification you've done.

I installed a _____ and a _____ and a ______. What class does that put me in?

Good question. The classes all build off of each other. So the higher you go, the higher class includes the allowances from the class(es) before it. I will discuss the major modifications allowed in each class AS THEY PERTAIN TO THE LEGACY. Sometimes rules change mid-season, so check before you make a modification.

Street (Formerly known as Stock) - Starting for the 2015 season, all street classes (except for SS, which is not of concern to us) will be on 200+ utg tires. The major modifications allowed in the street classes are shock absorbers/struts, tires, brake pads, cat back exhaust, alignment (using factory adjustments only), and 1 sway bar modification (either front or rear). Wheels may be increased or decreased 1 inch in diameter from the stock wheels. The width of the wheels must remain the same as stock. Wheel offset must be within 5mms of the stock offset. There are no restrictions on wheel weight.

Street Touring - Street touring classes are all street tire only. There is a treadwear limit that you must abide by, so the treadwear rating of your tires MUST MEET OR EXCEED the limit. It sometimes changes, so check on that, but it is currently 200 utg. For AWD cars in STH, the maximum tire width is 245 and maximum wheel width is 9 inches.

In addition, touring allows the springs to be changed, which also allows the use of coilovers, camber plates, and bushings (material dependent). You may also run a cold air intake, headers, up pipe, a turbo back exhaust and a tune. You must use the stock intercooler. You may use aftermarket calipers (Brembo, Wilwood, etc), cross drilled/slotted rotors, and SS braided brake lines.

Street Prepared - Normally aspirated Legacies will fall here if they exceed the wheel and tire allowances in STC. The Legacy GT is on the same line as the STi, WRX, and Forester XT (as of writing 5/29/18). What this means is that these cars are all considered to be the same. So if you want to swap an EJ 257 into your LGT, you won't be moving into Street Mod like before. You can essentially BOLT ON any part from any of these cars and it will be class legal. "Bolt on" is in caps because any permanent modifications to mounting points, body work, unibody, etc, may not be allowed by the rules. Please read through the rules before making any serious parts changes if this effects you.

Extreme Street A - This is a new for 2020 "unlimited" street tire class. Class rules are extremely generous. You can do just about anything you can imagine considering you make the minimum weight of 3000lbs (without driver), the interior has a "finished appearance" (see official rules for further clarification), and of course be running on 200tw or above tires of any size.

Street Mod - Street mod is where you'll be if you have a turbo that is not a Subaru factory turbo for the cars listed on the line in ASP. It also allows for turbo kits or superchargers if you added one to your N/A Legacy. There are many more allowances here, but those are the biggies that most of you will have.

Prepared - Pretty much anything goes here. These cars are stripped down race cars at the national level. Many of these cars are trailered to the events.

Modified - Race cars. A Legacy will never fall here.

Here's where your car will currently fall by class:

Legacy 2.5i (2005+, N/A Legacies follow this for the most part.)

H-Street -> Street Touring Compact (STC) -> F-Street Prepared (FSP) -> Street Mod (SM)

Legacy GT/Spec B (2005 - 2012)

D-Street -> Street Touring Hatchback (STH) -> A-Street Prepared (ASP) -> Street Mod (SM)

Outbacks follow the class path based upon what engine it has, so find your engine in the Legacy above and that's what you use.

AutoX sounds way too confusing for me.

It really can be if you try to figure it out on your own. I've never met any autocrosser unwilling to help out a novice. Instructors are always available at events to give you FREE help whether you need help to find the way through the course, car setup tips, or just some driving tips. Instructors absolutely love helping their students get faster, so don't be afraid to ask for help! The only thing that is asked of you, is to attempt to figure out where your car will be classed prior to the event. Imagine if every person arrived at the event, not knowing what class they're in. Registration would take hours. We can help you with that on the forums.

I need to wear a helmet, right?

Yes you do, but most clubs have free loaner helmets available. Both open or closed face helmets are fine. The SCCA Solo II rules allow for helmets rated M, S, and SA. They may also allow helmets with just a DOT certification. You are allowed to use helmets for 10 years after the certification date. So a helmet rated SA2010, will be good until the year 2020.

What is this PAX thing?

PAX is a system of handicapping in an effort to take the vehicle out of the equation and rank driver performance. Each class has a different PAX multiplier based on the class' allowances and the performance potential of the cars within the class. The faster the class, the higher the PAX. Obviously a SSM Elise and a ESP Legacy GT are two totally different cars in two different classes, but the driver of the LGT can beat the driver of the Elise on PAX, even if the Elise has a faster raw time (raw time is the time indicated by the clock, taking any cone penalties into consideration). The higher PAX finish indicates the driver of the LGT drove his car closer to it's maximum potential than the Elise driver.

I really just don't want to get my butt kicked.

If you're driving a Legacy, there is always someone (usually many) faster than you! It's just the truth, but that doesn't mean you can't have a TON of fun out there.

My car is stock. I want to both modify my car and autox. What class should I prepare my car for?

The easiest way to decide on a class is to figure out your yearly tire budget. If you want to try to be Mr. Fast Time of the Day, you'll be buying a fresh set of Hoosier A6s every year. They ain't cheap and they don't last long. A full spec Street Prepared car would be very fun to drive, but very expensive to build. My suggestion would be to aim for Street Touring. In full ST spec, the car will still be plenty reliable and the tires should last 2+ seasons. Considering you should only have to buy tires once every 2 years, it's already twice as inexpensive than running street prepared.

I'm sold on autox. Let's do this!

The SCCA is by far the biggest organizer of autocrosses in the country. Every state in the country is comprised of smaller SCCA regions. To find your region and more information about autocross visit:

Sports Car Club of America (SCCA) www.scca.com/solo

Also:

http://www.motorsportreg.com/ (lists all sorts of automotive events countrywide)

BMW Car Club of America (BMWCCA)www.bmwcca.org

Porsche Club of America (PCA) www.pca.org

In the Northeast US:

www.autox4u.com

MotorSports North East (MSNE) http://motorsportsne.com/

Conclusion

Autocross is a great way to learn the basics (and complex skills) of car control in a safe environment. Autox is as cheap or as expensive as you want to make it. It is a competition, which is how it varies greatly from HPDEs. Over the years I've autocrossed, I've developed many friendships with the other racers. A full season of autocross is like a gearhead's bowling league!

Class/Rule Updates

SCCA Rally Cross

I've seen Rally Cross on TV. There is no way I'd go wheel to wheel with that crazy ass Travis Pastrana in my daily driver!

:lol: SCCA Rally Cross is much different than the Pro Rally Crosses held at the X-Games or the wheel to wheel European Style Rally Crosses being held at many racetracks in the USA now. SCCA RallyX is actually autocross, but on dirt.

Here is member bucko3theman7 taking a run at a SCCA RallyX

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csHRsJ8l0Z0]NER SCCA Rallycross 1-13-13 Stafford Springs Derek Run 4.mp4 - YouTube[/ame]

So hit me with the classes. I'm ready for it.

Stock, Prepared and Modified, with further breakdown by drive configuration (ie FWD, RWD, & AWD). Easy enough right?

Stock - For a mostly stock car. A cat back is allowed and tires must be factory comparable tires, so no studded dirt tires here.

Prepared - A stage 2 car would be here. Suspension mods are allowed, as are dirt tires.

Modified - These are the gutted, trailered racing cars with tons of suspension travel and rally tires.

So I guess I'll just run the summer tires I already have.

No you won't! No summer tires are allowed. You'll be racing on all-seasons, winter tires, or mud tires.

I'm not too keen on driving through dirt with paint this cherry.

Then RallyX might not be for you. You can take steps to prevent rock chips such as using painters tape in prone areas.

My car is pretty low. Do you think it's safe for RallyX?

It depends. There are no major jumps in SCCA RallyX, however if you go off course you'll be going into the grass. As the day progresses, ruts can form, which are not friendly for low cars. The rules do allow for the course to be repaired at any time, otherwise you'll have to sit out or drive around them.

I've watched the WRC and I suck at drifting.

First, those guys all started somewhere. Second, WRC drivers do not necessarily want to drift through turns. The same basic rules of driving through a tarmac corner apply to dirt, but sometimes you just cannot get the grip you need on dirt. Do not hang the rear end out through every turn. If you do that you'll be slow and piss people off. A little slip through the corners is ok, but if you're getting full opposite lock every turn, you'll probably be asked to leave.

For more information about Rally Cross, visit:

http://www.scca.com/rallycross/

You'll find the full list of events and all of the rules.

Conclusion

It's basically just autocross, but on dirt. What's not to like about that? The thing about RallyX is that you may have to drive pretty far to attend an event. Also, your car's body may see a bit of wear, so take the proper precautions if you'd like to try it out.

Time Trials

Time Trials have been gaining popularity in the past couple of years. Various organizations will allow you to take your mild street car to wild race car out there.

NASA and the SCCA both have Time Trial programs now. NASA requires you have a special TT license which can be acquired through their HPDE program if you are coming in with little or no motorsports experience.

The SCCA TT program allows anyone to get on track without a special license. SCCA TTs may vary a bit by event or region with some offering timed full lap sessions with many cars on course and others offering a timed run over a partial course, and still some others will use cones on the course to rework some corners.

Time Speed Distance Rally

So this is like the Gumball 3000?

Absolutely not, but like the Gumball, a TSD Rally is run on public roads. That is where the similarities stop. The point of a TSD Rally is to finish the rally as close to the perfect time as possible. You will be given instructions at the starting point as how to drive the course. The perfect time is calculated with the legal speed limit in mind. Penalties are given to those under and those over the time.

So what do I need to enter?

All you really need are a car, driver, navigator, and a stopwatch. You may bring a flashlight for night rallies. You are not allowed to use GPS in most cases, although some events have been opened up to using GPS in certain classes. Entry fees are usually very affordable.

This sounds kind of boring.

Well, if you were looking to bomb down a straightaway at 130mph, this is not it. I can tell you there are different types of TSD Rallies, some outright tell you where to go, some try to trick you into driving the wrong way, and some have special formats like some Halloween Rallies where you have to get a clue off of a gravestone etc.

A TSD Rally is a test of precision and thinking. It is not a test of speed. This is something you can do with your kids in the car.

OK I'll give it a try.

Good! Most rallies end at a restaurant or bar, so you'll have good food, company, and stories to tell when you're all done! As for car preparation, some TSD Rallies do use dirt roads. You can use any 2+ seat vehicle you choose, but make sure it will be ok driving through the whole course.

For more information on, or finding a Rally near you, visit: http://www.scca.com/rally/

Conclusion

Things don't get much safer than doing a TSD Rally. If you want to get out and do some driving in your car, but are nervous about hurting it on the track, the TSD Rally is for you. They are a fun event for some friends to do and many times they're held at night.

There are numerous websites you can use to find a HPDE in your area.

For more information visit:

National Auto Sport Association (NASA) www.nasaproracing.com

Sports Car Club of America (SCCA) www.scca.com

BMW Car Club of America (BMWCCA)www.bmwcca.org

Porsche Club of America (PCA) www.pca.org

Most of these groups are kinda snobby in my opinion. If you're in NE, try www.comscc.org

Most of these groups are kinda snobby in my opinion. If you're in NE, try www.comscc.org

I know exactly who you're talking about. The only issue is that many organizations are localized to one area of the country.

Let's build a list by region and I'll add them, but only organizations with a good reputation. I don't want to list an organization who does crap like sends novices out without any instruction like that one current thread. :(

For autox, I have built as close to a fully prepped ESP car as any legacy ived ever seen or heard of short of doing the weight loss mods. I can tell you that it is a money intensive endeavor. aside from buying all the drivetrain, suspension and stage2+ mods, you have to get the car under 3200lbs to truly be competitive at a national level. If anyone is planning to build a real ESP Legacy, PM if you have any questions. ive been though most of the issues one would encounter along the way and can give some insight in to a mod path that could save a lot of trial and error and $$$.

For HPDE & Lapping events, http://motorsportreg.com covers most of the west coast, and likely the rest of the USA, too.

Also, try http://where2race.com for track information and events.

With regards HPDE events, please add a note about reviewing the option for track day insurance. HPDE events are not covered by your auto insurance. Buying the track insurance can/will cover the cost of fixing your car in the event of an accident.

• I Donated

Here are some videos from my legacy Rallycrossing Jan 13th 2013. This is a good representation of rallycross in general, but the ones during the winter in the snow are not hard on the car at all. This is a good example of a non-winter RallyX

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igeRgg78leA]NER SCCA Rallycross 1-13-13 Stafford Springs Derek Run 3.mp4 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=csHRsJ8l0Z0]NER SCCA Rallycross 1-13-13 Stafford Springs Derek Run 4.mp4 - YouTube[/ame]

For HPDE & Lapping events, http://motorsportreg.com covers most of the west coast, and likely the rest of the USA, too.

Also, try http://where2race.com for track information and events.

With regards HPDE events, please add a note about reviewing the option for track day insurance. HPDE events are not covered by your auto insurance. Buying the track insurance can/will cover the cost of fixing your car in the event of an accident.

added!

Also added some videos to the various sections.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
  • I Donated
my first ever autocross was in a Legacy L on cheap snow tires and snowboard roof rack. Pumped the tires up to 45 psi.

Sort of the same here, except I had cheap all-seasons pumped up to 50F/50R, and no roof rack. That car was really tail-happy at 50/50. Bumped the pressures down to 50/48 and I stopped spinning on the slalom. :lol:

I have to say, though, I prefer HPDE. It's not competitive like autocross, and it's expensive, but you get way more seat time and go way faster.

Either one is fun, though, and I will probably end up doing a couple of autocrosses but no HDPEs this year, because of budgetary concerns.

When I calculated the dollar per minute of drive time, HPDE was way cheaper. That said, the local Audi club runs an event in May every year where you get unlimited runs on an AutoX course for time. I've averaged 40 runs each over the last 3 years. I usually finish within 1/2 second of FTOD.