LegacyGT.com

To Alarm or Not To Alarm (Factory or Aftermarket)

To Alarm or Not To Alarm (Factory or Aftermarket)  

30 members have voted

1. 1. To Alarm or Not To Alarm (Factory or Aftermarket)

• Subaru factory alarm
    • aftermarket alarm w remote start and lcd pager
    • go Gung Ho and just have Club and AutoLock

Factory alarm. If they want the car, they're going to get it. Legacies already have a very impressive feature with the immobilizer key. Anything beyond that just makes noise, which annoys the neighbors. Kevin

[quote name='gtguy']Factory alarm. If they want the car, they're going to get it. Legacies already have a very impressive feature with the immobilizer key. Anything beyond that just makes noise, which annoys the neighbors. Kevin[/quote] Unless you get into GPS locators or some other immobilizers like a fuel cutoff device. It will help recover your car sooner, but not prevent it.

To get an option would be great, to get nothing is poor. I like the idea of the remote start and pager, I think its pretty trick kit but it does again come with a price tag. How much would something like that cost in the US ?

As gtguy if they want it, they'll take the car. The only 'driver' to me to change the alarm would be if it resulted in a drop in the insurance premium. But just now I believe thta the data-dot in the key is apparently a very good system. With that and avoiding leaving anything of value on display I don't see any reason to go changing what is already a pretty good setup.

Which is better from an insurance claim perspective? A stolen car that's not found or a stolen car that's found but badly damaged. I was thinking that if the thief makes off with the car, you'll never hear from it again. If there was an immobilizer and the car dies and can't go anywhere, the thief might get pissed and just distroy whatever he can find on the car.

If the car is not taken, the insurance should pay to have the car fixed, or total it out. If the car is stolen and found, the same probably applies However, if it is not found, they have to total-loss the car. That is a guaranteed big chunk of change from them, where the other two scenarios have the chance of being less expensive. Besides that, if the person just goes postal, there is an increased chance that someone will witness it, as that draws attention. Also more likely for the criminal to leave traces, like fingerprints or items behind. More likely to catch the dirtbag. A smart car theif will move on. A smart car theif knows there is more money in other cars besides a Subaru Legacy. Both for black market parts, and for entire cars. A stupid car theif will not be able to take the car without the coded key.

Archived