LegacyGT.com

Accessport Screen Flicker During WOT

elgin.owens

When I have my Cobb Accessport on displaying gauges during a WOT pull, the gauges will disappear and the screen goes blank for a second, then the gauges come back up with the peak values all reset. It's almost like it reboots for some reason, but not really a full reboot, it just flickers off/on. It doesn't happen every time so the problem is intermittent, but does happen frequently.

At first I thought this was just an issue with my setup (06 LGT, w/ V3 AP) however my friend's 08 LGT w/ V3 AP does the same exact thing. He's actually got a video of it happening, I however have not been able to capture a video myself. If anyone is interested to see exactly what we are experiencing, I can get the video from him when he gets back into town.

My theory on the source of the issue is a power supply problem, it's almost as if during just the right circumstances, the ECU is unable to supply enough power to the AP. I'd like to get my hands on some equipment to measure voltage supply to the AP and log the data to see if there is a momentary voltage drop that's triggering this.

Is anyone else experiencing a similar issue? Does anyone have a suggestion for getting this issue resolved?

I just sent my AP v2 back because it would go blank when we tried to switch maps, after a street tune. You could push the cord in a downward way and it would come back on.

I emailed Cobb, sent it back, they fixed it and shipped it back the same day. No charge.

talk with Cobb, don't waste your time here with us internet junkies. Go to the experts.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I did mention the problem to cobb when I had a ticket open for broken clips on my cable, but they just chalked it up to the cable being broken. Then when I got the new cable they just kinda ignored my complaints about the screen flickering. I probably need to just open a new ticket now for the screen flicker that way they have to address the problem.

• I Donated Too
My tuner said that he commonly sees AP's flicker/reset when hitting boost, on the dyno or on the street. My personal opinion is that the OBD2 ports are not designed to hold onto the plugs very firmly, I know mine wiggled around even when the AP cord plug was new

My AP3 cuts out under certain conditions under WOT/full boost as well. It is not a full reboot that displays the startup screen/etc, it's a quick blanking/refreshing of the display then the gauges are immediately re-displayed.

It seems to happen much more often when it's cooler vs warmer out. When it's warmer out and it happens, it's usually when I'm displaying several (5 or 6) gauges and/or datalogging with many parameters. Reducing # of logged parameters and/or reducing # of displayed gauges seems to help. When the ambient temps drop into the <= 60F range, nothing I do w/ # gauges or logging parameters helps, the AP3 simply cuts out almost every time I hit full boost under WOT.

I don't think it's a connector issue in my case, as wiggling the cable all over the place including right at the OBD port, never causes the AP3 to cut out. It's esp frustrating in cooler temps b/c I'm rarely able to get a full WOT datalog. When the AP3 cuts out, the log is aborted.

Cobb sent me a new cable earlier this year, but it did not help the situation at all. I haven't pursued it further this season, but once Fall/winter hits and it resumes cutting out almost every time I got WOT, I'll probably get back in touch w/ Cobb for other suggestions.

I've started a service ticket with Cobb. They replied quickly asking for my firmware version (v1.7.1.1-10170). It would appear as though they are working diligently to find a resolution to this issue. I will post their response/resolution here, as soon as I get it.

Contrary to my initial thought that it was a voltage supply problem, I'm starting to think this is a hardware/firmware issue within the accessport. If the voltage were dropping out of spec I would expect the AP to do a full reboot (IE display the startup screeen, etc.) however as Serx7 previously mentioned, that is not happening, it's more of that the gauges disappear, screen goes gray (not black) for a second then the gauges re-appear with all the peak values reset.

^^ great to hear, hopefully this can be remedied via firmware but we'll see. I've experienced this behavior on every firmware version my AP3 has been on since I bought it over a yr ago (including the most recently published one which supports customized startup image)

News from Cobb support (see quote below)! Now I'm wondering if this was a known issue that was resolved on this fw update or if they are just guessing here. Anyway I'll be updating my firmware this afternoon, then I'll go for a quick rip and let ya'll know how she goes.

"Hello Elgin,

Please update your Accessport and make sure that you are on the latest firmware version 1.7.2.0-11034.

Give that a try and see if the issue persists!"

I used to have the same issue with my APv2 - screen flicker +/- reset during pulls. I don't recall what firmware version I had prior to trading it out, but I checked for updates regularly and they did not help. My APv3 hasn't had any issues, though.

My AP3 is currently on the latest firmware, and I'm almost certain I've seen it cut out like it has in the past on prior fw revisions. I haven't done any datalogging since then and haven't been keeping the AP plugged in during all driver however. I have to run some errands during lunch, so I'll try to use that for some... testing :)

I've been on that fw revision for about a week or so, and am pretty sure it's cut out at least once. Thinking back, a few days ago I did a boosted top gear pass and noticed the AP3's Boost gauge was reading peak boost pretty close to 0, which means it cut out around the time I was transitioning from passing to cruising. My tune hits ~20 psi in those conditions and I'd definitely notice if the real boost was substantially less than that.

I'll do some deliberate testing today and see how it goes.

I've updated the firmware as recommended by the Cobb Service department, now running firmware v1.7.2.0-11034. The issue has not been resolved! I've managed to capture a video of the problem. Sorry for the low quality not sure how to get the GoPro to focus better...

I'll be contacting Cobb to update them on the situation.

Update from Cobb...

"At this point I'd like to have a look at the device to see if we are able to replicate the issue in house! Any repair or replacement will be covered under warranty!"

I'll be sendng it back to Cobb sometime this week. Hopefully they can replicate the problem, so it doesn't come down to being something wrong with the Legacy ecu/wiring!

As always, I'll keep you posted as new developments occur.

It is not the car or the OBD connector, it is a cobb issue. I have seen this many many times. One car I could not log at all, whether logging with the AP, logging with my PC (pass-thru) with the AP, or directly with my pc.

However, I was able to log with a different AP. They were both V2. I could connect and the second I gave it much throttle it would freeze up. Seems like V3 doesn't have this issue much. It is super annoying when I have a car on the dyno and can't log, lol.

Contact us for all your tuning and performance parts needs! Etuning the legacy community since 2008!

Follow us on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Update: The techs at Cobb's service department recieved my AP today. It should be 3-5 days turn around time... Fingers crossed they can figure this out.

I'd like to thank everyone for their input and for sharing their experiences with this issue. My service ticket with Cobb, does contain a link to this thread, so hopefully their techs will read this thread and realize this is NOT AN ISOLATED PROBLEM!

Got a response from Cobb today...

"Your AccessPort is repaired and ready to ship back to you! There was no charge for the repair, and since we already have your shipping information, I didn't want to bother you with a phone call in the middle of your day. I took your AP back to the warehouse and it is waiting to be shipped out!"

I'm going to ask if they can provide any more details on what was done to fix it. Also will ask if they will be providing this service to everyone experiencing this issue.