LegacyGT.com

Ac issues

I have been experiencing intermittent ac issues where it will Work well and blow cold air for sometimes multiple consecutive day and then randomly the ac will get warmer until it blow hot air. If I turn the ac off and continue driving it will Work again when turned back on. Is this a common issue with legacy gts?

Check for clutch engagement when it's not working. If it's not engaged, open the engine bay fuse box and tap the blue A/C relay. If it clicks on, the relay is on its way out. $7 @ the dealership.

If the clutch is engaged, borrow a gauge manifold and see what your hi/lo pressures are.

My wagon has done that from time to time, after a long drive. I can shut the AC off for a mile or so and turn it back on, it will blow cold again.

Have the AC system serviced by a good repair shop. I have tried those cans from the auto parts store that recharge the system...I just paid my trusted mechanic $40. to service the AC in both my cars. He plugged in his machine, 15 minutes later the system was refreshed. The next few days will really put them to the test, but that's why I had them serviced by a Pro.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

The refrigerant could be too high or too low. If the compressor senses that the refrigerant is too low, the clutch won’t engage. If it’s too high the compressor will struggle to compress it and appear to be slipping on the belt. The hotter the ambient temp gets, the more pressure the refrigerant will have.

Does the air temp change or is there a decrease in air flow coming out of the vents ?

Yesterday driving home from work 32 miles mostly highway, hazy hot humid, after about 20 miles the air flow seemed to slow down more then get warm. Fan speed was maxed all the way.

Today 64F on the drive in to work, AC running with fan speed 3. I had cold air all the way to work, even turned the fan to full the last 2 miles or so and still had lots of flow and cold.

I can hear the fan blowing when I got home yesterday, but the air flow seemed low.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Just got home from work. It was 91F when I started the car that had been sitting in the shade for a few hours. Turned on the AC, recirculate, fan to 3 lines. Drove a mile or so and turned the fan to 4. Car cooled nicely, I decided to take back roads home over the mountain instead of traffic on the highway.

I put the fan on 5 and still had cool air blowing on my hands when I got home some 40 minutes later. Even took it out of recirculate about 4 miles from home.

I’m experiencing this as well but not only for cold air it is also on hot air which is just cutting off on blowing the right temperature. This is something bothering me especially last winter which sometimes the car won’t heat up inside but just air blowing in.

Can you hear the fan blowing full speed when this happens or does it seem to slow as well as lowering the temp?

Or is it like a door closed blocking off the air flow while the fan continues to blow at full speed ?

I have not noticed it during winter, I do drive the car to VT on weekends for skiing.

I've had both cars AC recently serviced.

We took the Spec out for a shopping run yesterday. Car was sitting in the sun, 100F. At 2PM I started the car, AC to Max. We could feel it cool but driving west on the highway into the sun, the AC was having a hard time. Parked car in the lot at the Mall.

On the way home an hour or so later driving east with the sun behind us the AC worked much better.

Next update, Today it was 92F when I started the car at 3PM after the car sat in the shade for a couple hours. I put the AC in recirculate, fan to 5 not 6 on the speed.

35 minutes later, after driving home on the highway the air was still cold and the fan had not changed. Air temp outside went up to 97F on the drive home.

May be it's something to do with the fan on 6 that causes the issue with the AC putting out warmer air and the flow decreasing.

My early 2005 didn't have a filter.

Just installed both relay's, same relay for both cars. Now I'll wait till the next hear wave...

Archived