LegacyGT.com

70mm intake - $12 - with pics

John M

That's right, put a 70mm MAF housing on your car for a whopping $12 at any AutoZone, Advance Auto Parts, or anywhere else that sells Spectre brand parts. You can also get it online on Amazon.com. It's chromed plastic but how much force are you putting on it anyway? It includes rubber gaskets to go between the housing, adapter, and sensor for an airtight fit.

Fits w/ WBR FMIC piping and that's an APS intake pipe in the pic (the rubber coupler between the MAF housing and metal intake tube comes with the APS pipe). Still a "short ram" that happens to reach into the fenderwell without having to worry about puddles or heavy rain.

Yes, that's a Spectre brand filter too, just to irritate the air filter purists out there :D

http://moojohn.com/subaru/intake1.jpg

http://moojohn.com/subaru/intake2.jpg

Scaling:

[Table2D]
0.90	0.94	0.98	1.02	1.05	1.09	1.13	1.17	1.21	1.25	1.29	1.33	1.37	1.41	1.48	1.56	1.64	1.72	1.80	1.88	1.95	2.03	2.11	2.19	2.23	2.34	2.42	2.54	2.66	2.77	2.89	3.01	3.12	3.24	3.36	3.48	3.59	3.71	3.83	3.95	4.06	4.18	4.30	4.41	4.49	4.57	4.61	4.65	4.69	4.73	4.80	4.88	4.96	5.00
1.56	1.80	2.05	2.30	2.57	2.88	3.23	3.62	4.05	4.49	5.00	5.67	5.94	6.57	7.95	9.44	10.51	12.24	14.09	16.19	18.53	21.16	24.06	27.24	29.00	34.56	38.65	46.49	54.22	62.62	71.79	81.79	92.34	103.77	116.19	129.69	144.28	159.94	176.70	194.69	214.03	234.95	257.49	281.73	298.89	317.11	326.62	336.36	346.35	356.56	377.37	399.03	421.57	433.31

Note that I have NOT finished checking this with the wideband for open loop fueling but the closed loop is within +/- 4 grams. The 40+ correction on Learning View is within .2 grams. I'm sure you'd want to do your own fine tuning anyway. 99% of the work is done with this table. Credit for the original makeup of this table goes to NSFW, who had input from Sponaugle at NASIOC.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see -- if something's cheap, nobody's interested. Same silence on the WRX board. If someone decided to slap a logo on it and call it a "kit" and it would suddenly become Product of the Year. I'm sorry to have killed the Cash Cow but people have paid triple-digit prices for an 8-inch section of pipe for too long. It's always been a case of "what else can you do" -- well now there is an option.

I guess I should have bought them in bulk, re-packaged them, and sold them for $100 each.

70mm providing enough headroom with that fp green? dont know how cold it gets near you, but I had to ditch my typhoon and get a prototype (if you want to call it that) 73mm avo style intake with an aem filter from KS tech to suite my hta68.

Only running a peak of 15 psi right now since I haven't got the fuel mods in yet. Max airflow I've seen is around 290g so far. I need to check the AFR in open loop before swapping injectors and the weather just hasn't cooperated the past two weekends.

70mm providing enough headroom with that fp green? dont know how cold it gets near you, but I had to ditch my typhoon and get a prototype (if you want to call it that) 73mm avo style intake with an aem filter from KS tech to suite my hta68.

that depends on how much you want to pull out of the fp green.

i am running a ks tech 83mm maf pipe because of my fp green.

your maf sensor will max you out depending on how much boost you want to push. i believe it's around just over 21 psi.

after that it will be your map sensor that will max you out at 22.3-22.5 psi

Is this it?

http://www.spectreperformance.com/#CATALOG.8705

Another question, is it better to have the MAF right after the filter vs. away from the filter? Seems to me the best MAF location is as close to the turbo inlet as you can get it. I might make a custom CAI using this and some tubing when I go to fab my FMIC pipes.

That's the one. The hose comes with the APS intake pipe but Spectre also sells silicone couplers in that size.

Note that the official size is actually 73mm internal diameter. The flow is very close to another vendor's 70mm pipe with adjustments made by me.

i would imagine that the maf sensor being closer to the filter would be better as you are reading the temp of the air coming right in as opposed to the maf being closer to the engine and reading possibly heated up air because it's closer to the block

but wouldn't that be more accurate / "real" ? IMO the best place to measure incoming air would be just prior to the TB, but of course that is not an option.

The overflow is easy to move. The washer reservoir gets rotated a little (drill a new hole in its plastic mounting area) and would be a huge PITA to relocate.

As far as air temps go, it matters only at the point it's being measured. In other words, the temp is vital to the mass sensor's accuracy but as long as both samples are happening at the same spot the resulting airflow reading will be the same.

I used one of these when messing with a custom intake on my 2.5i... I made a dumb mistake though and installed the MAF in the wrong direction. The car would instantly die after starting so I thought it was just an incompatible part.

I put everything back to stock and figured out my mistake the next day. Haven't had the desire to re-try, but I may try to use it again with my K&N cone filter.

You do get what you pay for, small plastic adapter pieces and an overall cheap feel to this part.

I also had the sensor backwards the first time :D

It's plastic, that's true. It's also not under any stress (assuming you don't try to use it in a blow-through setup) so that doesn't really matter. Your stock part was plastic too. I certainly hope that if you were going to put it on any Legacy, GT or 2.5i, you'd tune for it because the airflow readings will be WAY different than the stock setup -- off far enough that it will cause driveability problems at the least and engine damage at the worst.

The sensor adapter pieces are very well made, with rubber gaskets for each step to ensure an air-tight seal. I found nothing lacking here at all. I bought this car new so I'm not about to jeopardize a $35k (car + mods) investment by using something I wasn't comfortable with. At the same time, I refuse to pay anyone $100-200 for a piece of pipe with a hole in it just because it's metal.

If you're not looking for a setup that puts the filter where the fog light is, this fits the bill nicely. You can't tell it from the pics but my filter is so big it almost touches the outside wall of the fender, giving me plenty of fresh air without worrying about water getting in.

Yeah, it's the biggest Spectre air filter they sell. It'll fit up to a 4-inch intake but the supplied adapter works fine to connect it to the 3".

The MAF housing is part of their "universal intake kit" line that you can extend further into the fenderwell if you wanted. Each piece has a locking gasketed connector for a solid leak-proof connection. I just went the plain & simple route.

• 1 month later...

Archived