LegacyGT.com

5th Gen buying advice

hiebertw07

I'm looking to pick up a 5th Gen GT and wanted to get some idea of what they're like to own and what I should look for in the service history.

I'm looking to spend about $8k and I'd like it to be a reliable daily: does that seem like a stretch? At that price, I'm looking at a few cars with 100k - 120k miles. I'm already keeping an eye out for the timing belt service, water pump, that sort of thing. Is there anything else I should be wary of?

I've owned DSMs, an IS300, and a G37 -- I'm no stranger to a wrench, but this will be my first Boxer. Any advice on that transition?

Thanks in advance.

ideally you want one that has been relatively stock in terms of engine modifications - definitely do a compression test, and when looking things over make sure nothing looks like it was quickly tossed back together, etc. - there aren't as many easy mods to do as with the WRX, so most of the ones you find should be in good shape as long as they were maintained by the owner. You already mentioned the timing belt which is due at 100k or so, along with plugs, fluids, etc. other than looking for mods and things like that, it's just like any other used car in terms of things to look at.

From what I have seen I think you get a pretty thrashed 5th gen for around 8-10k and the nicer ones are more around 15-18k.

Due to the fact that the 5th gen was only made for 3 years, only ~2,000 total made over those 3 years and the block is unique to the 5th gen(1), you are going to spend much more on a rebuild than the pervious gen GT. You can find some JDM long blocks to put in it, but who knows if the miles are true or what condition it's in. There are a couple changes you need to make with the JDM's too.

I just went through this same scenario about a year ago and now I'm sitting on a 18k car that I originally picked up for $8,600 with ~130k miles on and I put a TON of work into. I do enjoy it more than the stock set up though...:)

1-The only difference is the baffle on the bottom of the engine and I believe one extra threaded hole. Other than that, it the same as the more common blocks, but it's enough to make them unique.

Try to find one that has not been hammered on. If you can get the history on it, that would really help. As mentioned, finding one in the $8k price range that is in good shape might be hard, unless you find just the right one.

Keep tabs on the "GT finds" thread also for good deals....sometimes :)

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/5th-gen-gt-finds-237941p52.html

Edited by Falcor

I think its possible to find a decent GT for 8-10K with 100-120k miles, they have been depreciating over time. This time of year heading into fall the prices seem the lowest on the GT with spring being the highest.

Look for worn out suspensions. The turbo coolant pipe and turbo heat shield are likely rusted on any snow belt car. (in the grand scheme of things they are small repairs) The soft suspension and long shifter are weak points that many owners upgrade. The factory tune limits boost in 1st and 2nd gears (8psi vs 12psi), so it may feel underwhelming (Personally, I was underwhelmed) A Cobb AP wakes the engine right up.