LegacyGT.com

5EAT Trans Filter

Its a non-servicable filter, not replacable without pulling the 5EAT and taking it apart. Should be enough to just drain n fill the 5EAT a few times, every 15-20K for example.

Add an extra ATF cooler, either bypassing the radiator or inline with an extra thermostat like Climber recommends in his 'how to properly plumb your 5EAT' thread and she should be set.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/properly-plumb-your-5eat-transmission-cooler-221643.html

Hey FLlegacy, I dont think there is. I havent had one of these slushboxes open yet but the good guys at AZP Installs and One Stop Transmission tell me best you can do is crack her open, locate the filter, clean it manually and seal her back up.

On the other hand there shouldnt be a need to unless the ATF overheated or became contaminated somehow with particles that clogged the filter. Any metal shavings from initial break in or age related wear could be captured with dimple and pan magnets.

Normally there shouldnt be anything to clog the filter even with severe duty use.

The reason I ask is I believe the 05/06 is in the fender and the 07 - 09 possible near the battery (as I've seen a few posts about this). I understand it's supposed to be non serviceable, but seeing as the older models it can be replaced makes me think it's probably not in the trans - should be the same trans as the older models.

The reason I ask is I believe the 05/06 is in the fender and the 07 - 09 possible near the battery (as I've seen a few posts about this). I understand it's supposed to be non serviceable, but seeing as the older models it can be replaced makes me think it's probably not in the trans - should be the same trans as the older models.

That is exactly why I asked! I will check the FSM and report back.

It is in the fender near the batter area, if you follow the transmission cooler lines you will find it, have fun getting to it. Also there is no real reason to change it unless you have had a catastrophic failure in the transmission.

I bought a case of Amsoil synthetic, and did fluid changes every oil change until I was satisfied with the color of the it in our Tribeca. It is at 147k miles now, just installed an aux cooler, seems to be just as good as it was when we got it in 2010.

It does have the harsh downshift occasionally to 2nd, and if you take off fast it feels like it isn't doing much for all the noise it makes, I thought the trans was slipping, but no that is just the way it is. I towed 2 trailers full of river rock home with it, no issues at all.

Yeah the AT and all that noise that doesn't feel like it's going as fast as the noise makes it seem. Def have to ease on the throttle to get it to accel quickly and smoothly, which is tough in some situations.

I get some harsh 1st to 2nd shifts every so often. My 07 has always had an issue jumping gears from 2nd to 4th when really getting on the throttle and in manual/sport mode. If I'm WOT in 2nd and try and shift around ~5k RPM's there is a good chance when I shift it will shift again and hit 4th. If I'm not full WOT I can redline every gear. I've seen one other person post this as well and of course the dealer said it's normal to save the tranny. My /13 3.6 does not do that.

Some one else had the gear skipping issue with their 5eat on the newer legacy, it turned out to be their shift forcing an upshift after the transmission called for an upshift because of being near redline. It's annoying I am sure, I only use sport mode in it and rarely try to shift gears manually.

My wife, who drives this everyday didn't know she could shift the gears herself, or that there was a sport mode, lol!

I prefer the manual mode since it's turbo on tap. :) The 07 - 09 I know will shift at redline, while the 05/06 will bounce off it. In my case I'm not near (in my mind) redline as I'm about 1000 RPM's away. I do try and shift a second earlier than needed since there is a delay as well.

You didn't teach her about the shifting?!?

My uncle and his wife rented a Fiat for a trip for thanksgiving. I they sat in LA traffic for 4 hours. When they arrived I was asked to look at the car. The issue was they had to shift they whole time in their automatic. I already knew and told them they didn't have to shift since it was an auto. Got in the car, pulled the gear shifter straight down and away I drove with my uncle. I had to explain to not move the shifter over to the left or that was manual mode. They were so pissed. At least it made the trip home a bit easier.

Lol! I bet they felt pretty special!

I have shown my wife the manual mode and sport mode many times, she just doesn't retain that information because A) its more work and it has to do with a car, and B) its me telling her so... but let a salesman tell her something and it sticks like glue!

My wife, who drives this everyday didn't know she could shift the gears herself, or that there was a sport mode, lol!

At the VW dealer, my girlfriend had seen the paddles and was like, "What are these?" I was like, "Oh, it's like the auto-manual shifter you have on your Jetta except you use these paddles. I have them on my car." "I didn't know that." -_-

I've had this car for 6 months and she's even driven it a few times, haha. I guess you just have to be a car maniac to care enough to notice.

I really hope my 5EAT lasts as long as your Tribeca's. Another 100k miles would be great. I'm gonna do the ATF the next two oil changes then every other oil change after that.

Lol! I bet they felt pretty special!

I have shown my wife the manual mode and sport mode many times, she just doesn't retain that information because A) its more work and it has to do with a car, and B) its me telling her so... but let a salesman tell her something and it sticks like glue!

Fixed :) I'm in the same boat.

Truth. I'm contemplating taking a picture of these two posts and sending it to my wife.

I like to live dangerously. But the chances she'll retain the point I'd be making is slim.

Truth. I'm contemplating taking a picture of these two posts and sending it to my wife.

I like to live dangerously. But the chances she'll retain the point I'd be making is slim.

Ouch, how about you show her the posts and follow it up by saying I wanted to show your this but don't think you'll retain the point. Let me know how that goes. HAHA

I KNOW my wife believes me, but doesn't seem to fully stick unless someone else tells her. Even my mom can tell her something that I've said and then she'll believe it, but then always backs it up with I always believed you.

You guys should look into the Nov-2012 dated 5EAT TCM reflash applicable to all 2010/11/12 Legacy/Outback 3.6Rs fitted with the final-gen 5EAT slushbox.

2013/2014s had this flash in by default.

I've flashed mine to this PAK file early last year and it got rid of both the harsh down/upshift from 3rd->2nd->3rd and any/all other random clunks.

A TCM reset after the reflash helped things as well.

However, I was unable to complete the re-learn procedure outlined in the SSM-III Suite documentation without dealership equipment, but that didn't seem to have any adverse effect.

The other thing that helped to make the transmission more acceptable is the Rallitek 5EAT 'soft' insert. Easy to install, worth all 40-odd dollars.

I'm including similar update screenshots for the Tribecas and 4th gen LGT/5EAT combo.

1.JPG.66373423acf1f1eedc2d5efe1f8f6be6.JPG

2.JPG.bbee3923898030367faeae9b25fb43f8.JPG

3.JPG.2fc62cbfe68bf090e49a78fde8ec3370.JPG

4.JPG.7df9be07f21c603b640e3a8ae1ba0274.JPG

Archived