LegacyGT.com

5eat drive shaft?

quick4dr

I believe my carrier bearing in my drive shaft is shot I have tracked down a scraping noise only in low speed reverse to that exact point.

No heat shield or exhaust makes contact anywhere

Clearance is not an issue.

Can I replace the bearing? Can I have a driveshaft shop 1 piece made? Do we need a flex point/ carrier bearing in?

Please help explain my options. Thank you

• Moderators
Can a drive shaft shop replace it, basically custom? Or should I look into 1 piece unit?

If you're asking me you should just buy a replacement stock drive shaft. Other than that call a drive shaft shop and ask them.

Sorry, I don't have better advice than that, maybe some others do.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Yes, you can easily remove drive shaft and have it remanned. I just had to do this.

My u joint wore out and was causing a low speed shudder and a metallic clanging at highway speeds.

Total cost for me to overnight ship, rebuild, and overnight re-ship was $495.

They replaced u joint and carrier bearing with ones that can be replaced

I used these guys http://www.wholesaleimportparts.com

They are fantastic and very helpful.

Comes with one year unlimited mile warranty.

They only have from 01/05 shafts and on my cars in service date was September 04 patently the shaft changed after me.

Is there any reason why I should have drive shaft shop make me a 1 piece for cheaper than a factory piece?

Call and ask the techs. They are great. You can tell them your exact build date.

My car's build date fell right between the change over from 04 and 05. I spent several minutes on the phone with the tech reps about which one to choose.

It was a 50/50 guess.

Instead of selling me the wrong part they paid overnight shipping both ways to send my original shaft in so they could see which it was.

They rebuilt mine back to new with removable parts and 1 year warranty.

Production date 7/04 = fucked.

Pulled my shaft last night front joint is clicking and notchy, rear joint clicks and clunks carrier bearing grinds.

Measured 58in and 5/16th. New driveshaft shop 1 piece on the way. Will update when I get it.

Yea tried them, he said my vin number didn't come up, and they wouldn't be able gaurantee match it or rebuild it. Iether way 479 for a new 1 peice is fine.

I'm excited to feel the difference. NVH is no bother it's the price of performance

• 3 weeks later...

to update:

Drive Shaft Shop Built me custom 1 piece shaft 58 1/2in took about 1 week to get it but was away on vacation and could not install

Installed yesterday!!!

OMG the 5eat should of had a 1 piece from the start, so much slop is removed from the shifts. The shudder that i thought was my torque converter starting to go is gone. it was my shaft failing.

Both U- Joints are destroyed in the stock shaft as is the carrier bearing. the center section joint is also so floppy its a miracle it didn't just snap while on the car.

1 piece feels amazing in terms of throttle feel, feels way more connected, the center rubber of the carrier bearing really flexes on the stock one truly making the car feel like a slug compared to this new shaft. I also have the rallies trans mount and torque solution pitch stop mount which only help harden the driveline.

I was using the Torque solution carrier bearing mounts which helped tremendously with cleaning up shaft slop.

Installation was a breeze, 4 bolts on the rear yoke, 2 bolts to remove the carrier bearing mount, and i had to lower my exhaust a pinch to slide the shaft out. The new one slid right into the trans and bolted up perfectly with stock hardware to the rear yoke. Clearance to tunnel is perfect, i had to adjust my custom single exit exhaust hanger to provide a little more clearance next to the rear diff, just for piece of mind.

All in all, 5eat owners this will make you re-love your car. Combined with my Hexmods Valvebody you would think it was a different animal!

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived