LegacyGT.com

4th Generation Recall for corrosion in the brakes

Anti-corrosion wax:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

This "fix" ranks right up there with their "Head gasket conditioner fix"(AKA Stopleak:rolleyes:) on earlier (pre 2005 models)

I went to Stoptech SS lines in 2006:lol

Wax may stop the corrosion, but it certainly will not stop a brake line blowout, caused by a degraded brake line:mad:

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

this might help me when i go to court! finally some good news.

http://i840.photobucket.com/albums/zz325/clovergz703/63904_10200123294699110_1700803506_n_zps1f7cd0d9.jpg

Not one for quoting pictures but that hurts. Did something similar last X-Mas. All cosmetic I hope?

Anti-corrosion wax:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

This "fix" ranks right up there with their "Head gasket conditioner fix"(AKA Stopleak:rolleyes:) on earlier (pre 2005 models)

I went to Stoptech SS lines in 2006:lol

Wax may stop the corrosion, but it certainly will not stop a brake line blowout, caused by a degraded brake line:mad:

My statement exactly when I read the first post about the recall this morning! Do people read the forums before creating a new post? :spin:

Glad to see them step up and fix the issue. Oh yea, even if it did take almost 2 years.

I wonder if in a year from now after the "wax" is applied and the brakes fail, will they fix it for free ?

Gee, I guess if your away on a winter trip, and the brakes fail, they'll also pay for the hotel over night and any other expense you may have incurred because of them not fixing the problem right the first time they had the car.

Nice to see the NHTSA is standing up for the consumer...

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Not clear on what the issue is. Is it where the hard brake lines meet the soft lines where the corrosion is occurring?

No, it's where the hard lines meet a distribution block under the car. Looks like it's under the drivers side rear seat.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Just called the local dealership and had them tell me there is no recall on my car's brake lines. I wonder if the VIN reports haven't been updated yet or what... Reading over the recall report shows that it'd qualify for action/inspection.

Just called the local dealership and had them tell me there is no recall on my car's brake lines. I wonder if the VIN reports haven't been updated yet or what... Reading over the recall report shows that it'd qualify for action/inspection.

That's funny, you really thought they'd have a clue... ROFL.

Give them a week or two, may be three.

I wonder if in a year from now after the "wax" is applied and the brakes fail, will they fix it for free ?

The wax is obviously applied to the outside of the lines. It's called Cosmoline. It's used all the time on cars brought from overseas to prevent corrosion from salty air.

The wax is obviously applied to the outside of the lines. It's called Cosmoline. It's used all the time on cars brought from overseas to prevent corrosion from salty air.

If corrosion has started, you have to get rid of it. You don't just coat over it. At least, I'm assuming that's how it is with brake lines-you don't just paint over rust, for example.

If corrosion has started, you have to get rid of it. You don't just coat over it. At least, I'm assuming that's how it is with brake lines-you don't just paint over rust, for example.

You're right. If it's started covering it won't stop it.

You're right. If it's started covering it won't stop it.

Cosmoline over rust will seal in the corrosive chemicals:eek:

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

Cosmoline over rust will seal in the corrosive chemicals:eek:

That's why I'm asking if in a year from now the brakes fail, will they cover the repair, because they didn't fix the problem correctly the first time.

If the rust is on the four brake lines going into the block, what if two or more burst at the same time. I know the odds may be great, but what if it happens when you enter the off ramp... I guess the cars in front of you will stop you, or the car the T bones you at the intersection.

I'm sure the NHTSA will back you up and make them pay or I guess Obama Care will cover your medical cost...

No, it's where the hard lines meet a distribution block under the car. Looks like it's under the drivers side rear seat.

Oh! Wonderful. I will just have to have the lines replaced if they look dodgy:mad:

Funny think about rusted brake lines, they only fail when you need them most.

Back in the 90's, I was driving my Cow Girl Cadillac down the Rte 1 Blvd in Key West, when a nut on a bike decided to pull right in front of me from the left.

The pedal went right to the floor. (burst brake line)

I managed to miss him by inches, but went through a gas station (between the pumps) steered by a fruit vendor kart and ended up between 2 trees without a scratch on the car.:eek::eek:

It took me 5 minutes to realize I was alive and had killed no one:lol:

I bought 20 lottery tickets, because no one could have the luck I had that day:lol:

So, what I am going to do is have MY mechanic inspect the lines, and work from there.

Better safe than dead, or in court for homicide:eek:

Called my dealership on Tuesday and they said that it's typically 2-3 months before the manufacturer will issue instructions for how to perform a recall. BS, I think...

Archived