LegacyGT.com

Subaru Theft

There was an interesting story at wired.com about how the factory installation of thousands of datadots on Subarus has resulted in a 95% reduction of theft of Subarus in Australia. Apparently, the auto theft rate in Australia is very high, higher even than the USA. But Subaru does not want to use this technology on its US vehicles, because it costs around $25 per vehicle.

I think its when they spray a bunch of tiny "dots" that contain information onto the undercarriage of a car. I remember seeing this done as a procaution to getting your car stolen and stripped because these "dots" would contain a VIN number so that they could be linked to the original car if the parts were sold seperatley by a chop-shop. Am i right?.......Bueller..... The information is written on the tiny dot so that it can be seen only with a microscope.

[quote name='axis008']What is a datadot?[/quote] It is a microdot that is spray glued onto the major parts of the car. Each dot contains the VIN number, and the dots can be seen under UV light, and read with a 30X magnifier. It will not prevent theft by joyriders, but has cut down on thefts by pro thiefs, as they are aware that the parts are tagged. See: [url]http://www.wired.com/news/autotech/0,2554,64509,00.html[/url] I would be willing to pay Subaru the extra $25 for this technology. Too bad they don't want to offer it in the USA.

publicizing the materials only makes it easier for people to 'work' on alternate methods to defeat the system. I always wondered why magazines would publish 'how' items are discovered (UV/Black light, with regards to data dots, as well as 30X magnification, or whatever). Don't you think that car parts thieves couldn't get access to this type of stuff (black lights/electron microscopes) and figure out a way to 'undo' the work of a datadot? I think they could...and I wouldn't pay for it. Just another intrusive aspect in life - IMO. Later, i.

I think right now, they are still relatively new, so they are still not known of by the general public. And i feel comfortable making the assumption that to live as a theif, you're too stupid to hold any legit job let alone research new forms of anti-theft devices. P.S. If they do become aware of these "datadots", i'll be the first one to put splotches of laundry detergent(glows in black-light) on all my undercarriage parts to "fake-them-out".

[quote name='Legacy05GT']I think right now, they are still relatively new, so they are still not known of by the general public. And i feel comfortable making the assumption that to live as a theif, you're too stupid to hold any legit job let alone research new forms of anti-theft devices. [/quote] There's people who can't do any better, and then there are the pros. It can be very profitable if you are a pro.

I have a GT with datadots and the line I was given by the Subaru dealer was: "Datadots won't stop your car from being stolen, but with all parts and panels sprayed with your VIN number, the annoyance factor of ripping the parts off and respraying them is such that most theives will find a car easier to get rid of once stolen". Dunno how true that is, but mine hasnt been stolen yet! (touch wood!) LOL -Matt

Archived