LegacyGT.com

When will the 2006 GT be available?

I have been researching the GT for about 8 months now...mostly by lurking on this site. I know its going to be my next car but I am waiting until I get back to the states from a planned deployment next spring (Mar-Apr). I want to know if I wait until April, will the 2006 model be out? Or will it not hit the stores until later that summer. I know most brands switch model years in the late summer, but Subaru introduced GT fairly early this year. Speculation and/or advice welcomed.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Probably not until the fall of 2005. The 2005MY will be a long "year" for the production run. Kind of like the 2002 WRX that came out in March of 2001. My best guesstimate would be August/September 2005. There will most likely be very little changed too. HID might standard, or at least an option. And a NAV system will fit nicely into where the upper center console storage bin is. The NAV system is a for sure, I'm sure. Other than that, probably just some new colors and minor changes from the insights the 2005 owners give as feedback.

I'm sure NAV would be an option. The Legacy is no Lexus, so it won't be standard. And I was the other way around, I was wishing you could order leather seats on the non-limited for 2005. I don't really care about the moonroof. It adds weight in the absolutely WORST place...on the roof. Sure it's probably only 30-35 pounds, but that weight is multiplied during cornering forces, since it's on the top of the car. I went ahead with the Limited anyway. Even though you slide around more in leather seats during spirited driving, they are nice and that alone adds "value" to a car during resale (hence the 2% better residual value on a lease of the limited compared to the standard GT) and since the Legacy GT is a "near luxury" car and competing, or at least wanting to compete with the BMW 325i and Audi A4 1.8T, I think leather is a must to claim that.

[quote name='wunderkind']I'm hoping for HIDs and moonroof for the non-ltd versions. Don't care for NAV. In fact I hope it's an optional item so that the price will not be included. New colours would be nice.[/quote] Yeah, I totally agree. I have leather in my RS, and I think I'm over it. It's nice to have, but it's not worth $1500 to me (or however SOA breaks it down in the premium package). I think HIDs are a given. It sounds like it's going to be a 2006 model for me. I'm in no rush, but I definately want HIDs, and wouldn't mind a moonroof sans leather. Maybe by then they'll shrink those damned bumpers, too! :D

If you think you need HIDs, you need to spend some time in these babies at night! I don't see any need for them whatsoever and originally I had wanted them. No quams here. It'll light up the next county!

I think we could talk for hours and agrue about the options list, the wants and the what ifs????? The MY06 GT should be here in Oz a year after the MY05 lands which is September this year. Unsure of the timing in the states but could be around the same time. Adam.

Now that I have my car, I can really say HID's are not worth it. If you must have blue light, maybe. These projector halogens have a nice bright even field with a sharp cut-off, but the light is still yellow. It beats the HID's in the last-gen TL's, for sure.

The lights are not bad for standard halogens but Xenon lights are far more powerful and really do provide much more light I feellike these lights aren't even on sometimes at night but I'll get used to them

'05 Black Legacy GT Wagon 5-spd

'02 Topaz/Black 330Ci 5-spd

Drift Ryder's School of Rally Arts, coming to an Australia near you.

[quote name='05LegacyGT330Ci']The lights are not bad for standard halogens but Xenon lights are far more powerful and really do provide much more light I feellike these lights aren't even on sometimes at night but I'll get used to them[/quote] I think that more of an illusion than anything. Night lighting is yellow by nature. You turn on yellow light under yellow light and you can't really tell it's there. If your lights are blue you can definately tell they are on, but does it actually provide that much more light? If you try xenons vs halogens during the day you get the opposite effect because the sunlight is blue-er. Can't tell the xenons are on by looking at the ground, but you can tell the halogens are on.

[quote name='Drift Monkey']So anyone try Osram Silverstars or Phillips Vision Plus bulbs yet?[/quote] I reviewed the Sylvania SilverStars in this thread: [url]http://www.legacysti.com/viewtopic.php?t=1680[/url]

More colour choice is good. We initially wanted a silver car (wife wants it actually), but our neighbourhood is full of silver cars. So scratch that. - Black is nice but too hard to keep clean. - Regal Blue is similar to my current BRP RS. I don't want a same colour. - white is my favourite. But wifey didn't like it. - Atlantic Blue is alright. But reminds me of some blueish Taurus. However we both agree that Crystal Grey Metallic on all 2005 Imprezas would be perfect. So maybe 2006 this colour may come by. These desires are basically cosmetics. That's because the drivetrain and suspension is perfect. OK except for the RE92s. However I think Subaru has a lifetime contract with Bridgestone for these tires.

[quote name='kenzo'][quote name='Drift Monkey']So anyone try Osram Silverstars or Phillips Vision Plus bulbs yet?[/quote] I reviewed the Sylvania SilverStars in this thread: [url]http://www.legacysti.com/viewtopic.php?t=1680[/url][/quote] TOTALLY different from Osram's offering. The blue tint is only limited light output on the USDM Silverstars.

I'm doubting it will be out in Fall of 05. Didn't the 05 Impreza line come out in May or June as well? I'm pretty sure that it was sometime in May when I saw them at the dealership, and it seems like that is becoming a consistent date for Subaru's next model year to come out. March, no. May, probably.

[quote name='Drift Monkey'][quote name='kenzo'][quote name='Drift Monkey']So anyone try Osram Silverstars or Phillips Vision Plus bulbs yet?[/quote] I reviewed the Sylvania SilverStars in this thread: [url]http://www.legacysti.com/viewtopic.php?t=1680[/url][/quote] TOTALLY different from Osram's offering. The blue tint is only limited light output on the USDM Silverstars.[/quote] Yes, DM, I tried both the Osram SilverStars and the VisionPlus. The Osram offering won, quite handily. You're right about the undesirability of the bluing. You can get the Osrams either from Daniel Stern Lighting, or [url]www.powerbulbs.co.uk[/url]. I carry the VPs in the boot as a spare, in case a bulb blows. Kevin

[quote name='gtguy'] Yes, DM, I tried both the Osram SilverStars and the VisionPlus. The Osram offering won, quite handily. You're right about the undesirability of the bluing. You can get the Osrams either from Daniel Stern Lighting, or [url]www.powerbulbs.uk[/url]. I carry the VPs in the boot as a spare, in case a bulb blows. Kevin[/quote] I hate to agree with you (:P) but I really don't see a point in HIDs for this car as you were right about this H7 projector setup. It's simply miles ahead of any setup I've ever driven! I was just looking for some input here, and I'm glad you could give your recommendations, I'll definately be ordering a set of Osram SilverStars asap! Thanks. Oh and the link is [url]www.powerbulbs.co.uk[/url] :P Also [url]http://www.suvlights.com/[/url] seems to have competative pricing.

[quote name='gtguy'] Yes, DM, I tried both the Osram SilverStars and the VisionPlus. The Osram offering won, quite handily. You're right about the undesirability of the bluing. You can get the Osrams either from Daniel Stern Lighting, or [url]www.powerbulbs.uk[/url]. I carry the VPs in the boot as a spare, in case a bulb blows. Kevin[/quote] Got any pics?

Daniel Stern Lighting? So that's what happened to the guy from the Wonder Years :lol: [quote name='gtguy'][quote name='Drift Monkey'][quote name='kenzo'][quote name='Drift Monkey']So anyone try Osram Silverstars or Phillips Vision Plus bulbs yet?[/quote] I reviewed the Sylvania SilverStars in this thread: [url]http://www.legacysti.com/viewtopic.php?t=1680[/url][/quote] TOTALLY different from Osram's offering. The blue tint is only limited light output on the USDM Silverstars.[/quote] Yes, DM, I tried both the Osram SilverStars and the VisionPlus. The Osram offering won, quite handily. You're right about the undesirability of the bluing. You can get the Osrams either from Daniel Stern Lighting, or [url]www.powerbulbs.uk[/url]. I carry the VPs in the boot as a spare, in case a bulb blows. Kevin[/quote]

[quote name='Drift Monkey'][quote name='gtguy'] Yes, DM, I tried both the Osram SilverStars and the VisionPlus. The Osram offering won, quite handily. You're right about the undesirability of the bluing. You can get the Osrams either from Daniel Stern Lighting, or [url]www.powerbulbs.uk[/url]. I carry the VPs in the boot as a spare, in case a bulb blows. Kevin[/quote] I hate to agree with you (:P) but I really don't see a point in HIDs for this car as you were right about this H7 projector setup. It's simply miles ahead of any setup I've ever driven! I was just looking for some input here, and I'm glad you could give your recommendations, I'll definately be ordering a set of Osram SilverStars asap! Thanks. Oh and the link is [url]www.powerbulbs.co.uk[/url] :P Also [url]http://www.suvlights.com/[/url] seems to have competative pricing.[/quote] Every now and again a cranky old man gets something right, eh? :lol: You will be quite pleased with the Osrams. AutoExpress in the UK ran a recent H7 bulb test, and the Osrams garnered five stars, compared to four for the VisionPlus. Kevin

[quote name='gtguy']Every now and again a cranky old man gets something right, eh? :lol: You will be quite pleased with the Osrams. AutoExpress in the UK ran a recent H7 bulb test, and the Osrams garnered five stars, compared to four for the VisionPlus. Kevin[/quote] Heh, thanks for the tip. Any recommendation of the high beam bulbs? Are they fine as-is, or is there another bulb that preform a bit better then the stockers? The real question is: is upgrading the high beams even worth the cost...?

Archived