LegacyGT.com

Clear Headlights

Decay

Okay I have my legacy and have given up the idea of HID, I think the quality of the lights are just fine. Besides my quest to get the STi lip spoiler for the trunk, and the fantasy of getting the JDM front bumper and rear; I wna tto know if anyone has been able to remove the orange relector from the USDM headlights and fitted orange bulbs for the front turn signals in teh headlights? Or where I can get the proper parts to make it clear. I really like the clean look of the JDM headlights that have no orange in them.. Any Ideas? I am afraid I will get hassled by teh authorities if I take the orange plates off, but more importnatly, I don't want to mess with the headlights because I'm realy afraid they will leak after that. Any experiences and or tips? please help Dk

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
you can probably break off the amber reflectors WITHOUT baking the seals off.. just use a clothes hanger and yank the reflectors out slowly.. once the reflectors are not held by the hook snaps, use a pair of long needel nose pliers and a dremel and just slowly start cutting up the reflector INSIDE the headlight piece by piece. THIS IS THE LONG WAY. The SHORT way is by heating up the sealant and splitting the outer lens and the housing apart.. then just break the amber reflectors off the outer lens.. re-seal the outer lens and housing together.. do a good job resealing it, or you'll get condensation. Keefe
Keefe

Guest *Jedimaster*
After baking my lights on the WRX, I'm going to try the break away method this time. They came out fine, but there's just a little something that makes you nervous about putting perfectly good lights in a hot oven :lol:

[quote name='Xenonk']use a pair of long needel nose pliers and a dremel and just slowly start cutting up the reflector INSIDE the headlight piece by piece. Keefe[/quote] I'd suggest using two pair of needle nose pliers and breaking the reflector into small pieces rather than using a dremel. Would probably be quicker, and you would not be trying to clean the interior of the headlight of powdered reflector. (of course it depends how the reflector breaks whether you have to clean out a bunch of reflector chips instead :) )

thanks guys, I think i will do it the long way, I have lots of patience but a very weak stomach to put the lights of my new baby in the oven! I cannot imagine I can do that, I hope it works, do you guys know if it is okay to have clear bulbs in there? or should i buy amber bulbs? and install thema fter the relectors are gone? thanks DK

thanks guys, I think i will do it the long way, I have lots of patience but a very weak stomach to put the lights of my new baby in the oven! I cannot imagine I can do that, I hope it works, do you guys know if it is okay to have clear bulbs in there? or should i buy amber bulbs? and install thema fter the relectors are gone? thanks DK

Are there really no other markets in the world that are Left hand drive that have clear indicators stock? Why risk botching it and buying new lights, when you can just buy the new lights to begin with, and ebay the old ones or sell them to unfortunate accident victims.

[quote name='DAP'][quote name='Xenonk']use a pair of long needel nose pliers and a dremel and just slowly start cutting up the reflector INSIDE the headlight piece by piece. Keefe[/quote] I'd suggest using two pair of needle nose pliers and breaking the reflector into small pieces rather than using a dremel. Would probably be quicker, and you would not be trying to clean the interior of the headlight of powdered reflector. (of course it depends how the reflector breaks whether you have to clean out a bunch of reflector chips instead :) )[/quote] That's what a shop vac is for :D Keefe
Keefe

[quote name='Decay']thanks guys, I think i will do it the long way, I have lots of patience but a very weak stomach to put the lights of my new baby in the oven! I cannot imagine I can do that, I hope it works, do you guys know if it is okay to have clear bulbs in there? or should i buy amber bulbs? and install thema fter the relectors are gone? thanks DK[/quote] DK, you can get the hard-to-get silver coated amber bulbs (they are chrome-lens bulbs that light up amber). I'll try to find you a link for it, but I know they make them.
Keefe

I assume some of the JDM ones are cleared out, angel-eyed, city-lighted, and HID'd. Most of these are self-owner mods that can be done pretty easily.. just takes some patience.. half the battle is just taking the headlights off the car.. it's easier to work with at a workbench on a headlight than on the car :p Keefe
Keefe

I think, the more I think aobut it, and read here, it is beyond my ability. I am not very techical with this sor to f thing, I am really worried, i might mess up my lights too much. if you guys finda solutin taht I can "buy" at a reasonable cost, that would be good. Plus here in Vancouver, Canada.. my friends get hassled by the cops all the time about clear marker lights and tint on the front driver and passenger windows. they just give you warnings but the hassle of being pulled over all the time sucks anyways. That is one reason the states is better, less tringent laws on the mods you can do to your car to be street legal. But Canada Rocks for many other reasons! DK BTW: if you guys do find the link for those silver amber bulbs, please post it still, i know al ot of ppl would be interested in those thanks

I think, the more I think aobut it, and read here, it is beyond my ability. I am not very techical with this sor to f thing, I am really worried, i might mess up my lights too much. if you guys finda solutin taht I can "buy" at a reasonable cost, that would be good. Plus here in Vancouver, Canada.. my friends get hassled by the cops all the time about clear marker lights and tint on the front driver and passenger windows. they just give you warnings but the hassle of being pulled over all the time sucks anyways. That is one reason the states is better, less tringent laws on the mods you can do to your car to be street legal. But Canada Rocks for many other reasons! DK BTW: if you guys do find the link for those silver amber bulbs, please post it still, i know al ot of ppl would be interested in those thanks

I have to admit guys the JDM lights look fantastic, with the clear lenses, even more so on the Spec B as they have chrome inserts. Currently at looking at ways of making other JDM parts avail in the US so stay posted. Adam.

Guest *Jedimaster*
[quote name='agctr']I have to admit guys the JDM lights look fantastic, with the clear lenses, even more so on the Spec B as they have chrome inserts. Currently at looking at ways of making other JDM parts avail in the US so stay posted. Adam.[/quote] Cool- I'll be watching out for that.

:( No HID available sorry guys although there are some fantastic Co's down under that supply HID systems at a reasonable price so I will check them out. Currently working on some deals but will let you all know when they are up and running. Adam.

Yes MSB, that is correct although the rest of the world (sadly) doesnt get the same option. This is what I was trying to say to you a few weeks ago, that the list for JDM and the rest of the world is totally different. Adam.

Guest *Jedimaster*
Not to be a dick here, as I know you guys like HID headlights. But I really don't see the draw- is it a status thing, or is it something that is so useful people are willing to pay thousands of dollars for headlights?

Archived