LegacyGT.com

2000 BH Touring Wagon

ENGINE is from a '03 USDM WRX, rebuilt by FW Motorsports in Rocklin, CA. The build includes forged pistons, Borla header and GrimmSpeed up-pipe (both Jet-Hot coated), FluiDampr harmonic balancer, ported & polished intake manifold (powder-coated blue), and VF34 turbo.

The under-hood assembly consisted of USDM BP/BL Legacy engine crossmember, Baja Turbo intake, TMIC, and exhaust components, and other things like power steering and coolant lines, Group N engine mounts, 565cc injectors, Baja Turbo fuel pump. The JDM muffler is identical to USDM muffler except it exits straight back rather than downward. All went together very well. Had to do some cutting in the passenger-side front inner fender well for the intake resonator assembly. Also, learned the hard way that a Baja Turbo engine crossmember raised the engine such that the hood would not close, but the later model Legacy crossmember worked fine.

iWire merge harness, and customer support beyond the pale. The '03 USDM WRX ecu is mated to a Cobb AP running a OTB tune.

Really happy to note that my car has working cruise control using a WRX module.

TRANSMISSION is 6-speed from a salvaged S401 (TY856WB3CB w/SureTrac front diff), was rebuilt with Rallispec 2-6 gears, STi clutch, Fidanza flywheel, mated perfectly with a prop-shaft from 5EAT (auto), R160 VLSD 3.90 rear diff.

BRAKES are FHI 4-/2-pots, KNS adapters for rear, STi stainless brake lines.

SUSPENSION consists of JDM Bilsteins w/STi "Pink" coil springs, front aluminum control arms (powder-coated flat black), Spec B aluminum rear trailing arms and upper arms, STi rear "pillow ball" lateral links, Cusco front/rear sway bars, Cusco lower brace, STi front strut brace. Rallitek front skid plate; Subaru rear diff skid plate.

WHEELS are JDM 17" wheels, have tried a couple of different tire sizes and now have a very accurate speedometer with 225/50/17 tires.

EXTERIOR, well, I JDM'ed this car the F out:

JDM front bumper with fogs,

JDM headlamps, HID with leveling motors

JDM grill and emblem

JDM aluminum hood (with USDM Baja Turbo splitter)

JDM power folding mirrors, (swapped onto USDM bases)

JDM rain visors

JDM side skirts & spats

JDM slim roof rails

JDM roof spoiler

JDM rear bumper

JDM rear bumper stainless steel scuff plate with luminescent emblem

JDM tail lamps

JDM badges (GT, Bilstein, Subaru)

INTERIOR conversion consists of black leather seats, leather-lined door panels with puddle lamps, JDM stainless steel scaff plates, USDM woodgrain door and dash components, JDM Momo Woodgrain steering wheel.

I've just started driving the car recently after four years. We're still working out some bugs such as the airbag and ABS warning lights being on. But it's a fantastic car to drive, and I'm officially almost over being thoroughly pissed off that Subaru didn't build this car for us a long time ago - lol

Looks great. Was the brace that’s bolted onto your front lower control arms a direct fitment? I was thinking about getting a silver one off eBay that matches the color of my whiteline sway bars, but I’m not sure if it clears the NA exhaust with uel’s.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Thanks.

There was a lot of trial & error, could do it again much more cost- & time-effectively. The esoteric JDM electronic swaps complicated things. The JDM cosmetic parts aren't an ideal fit -- lots of subtle differences in JDM & USDM bodies -- but a dark color hides flaws like the mismatched rear bumper to the fender contours, spats not tight to the rockers...

The mechanical stuff, however, has gone pretty well. The Borla header cracked, replaced it with a used GrimmSpeed P&P'ed OEM manifold set on NASIOC; and I sourced a new STi catless up-pipe cheap on eBay. Love driving it.

My girlfriend has a green '01 GT wagon. I'm thinking it's fine cosmetically. Has a Fidanza flywheel, Bilstein's and Whiteline sways, just needs more motor. Will be a much simpler swap now that I know the recipe.

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Archived