LegacyGT.com

Ride 'n Drive event at Inglewood

SC GT

I went on Sunday at Hollywood Park in Inglewood. It was exactly as described in an earlier post about the Dallas(?) event. There were three courses (handling, traction, acceleration), three cars (Leg GT Ltd., 325i, and Volvo S60 2.5 Turbo, all auto transmissions). My impressions were: Legacy - Very neutral handling, nice acceleration when you squeeze the gas but very laggy if you jump on WOT. I was a little bummed because the first lap I did was the Leg GT on the handling course, so I kind of pu**ied it, and got more aggressive as the event went on. But the event only reinforced that the next car I buy will be the Leg GT. 325i - Acceleration wasn't so great, but other than off the line, was sufficient for these short courses. Stability control system was good and bad. Good because it works, helps control the oversteer which came into play a few times. Bad because it didn't allow our instructor to drift as well he should have when he did a hot lap for us. Volvo - Front wheel drive, and when driven it at its handling limits, the understeer was pretty awful. Acceleration was decent, but not nearly as nice as the Leg. Overall, I'd rate the Leg GT as the best of the three. It wins acceleration hands down, it is more stable than the others. I'd rate it behind the BMW in terms of handling. With its firmer (but still comfortable) suspension, the BMW feels more connected to the road than the Leg GT. Interior-wise, I'd also rate the Leg GT as more attractive than the others. We didn't have a chance to mess with any of the gadgetry, so I can't compare features. Also, in the exit tent, in addition to a replica Makkinen WRC car, I saw an Outback XT with cloth interior. If the Leg GT non-Ltd. gets the exact same seats and door panels, I think I'll be happy with that interior without switching seats or adding leather. p.s. If any of you are going to this event soon, always ask your instructor to take you on a "hot lap" if time permits. The instructors are all professional racers or instructors, and it is a kick to have them take these cars to the limits on the courses. It really makes you realize what a shi**y driver you are and how much there is to learn about technique.

Hi all, This is my first post after a looong (to understate...) time without contributing anything. I attended the Ride and Drive event this past Saturday in Los Angeles, and my driving impressions echo SC GT's. The cars for the Saturday event were: BMW 325i, Subaru Legacy GT Ltd, Volvo S60; all auto. They were all sedans except for those used on the handling course, which were the wagon versions of the sedans (there is no Volvo V60, so a V70 was used). The event was very well organized - we had a 30-min "lecture" by a professional driver on the fundamentals of cornering, road awareness, etc, followed by a quick "briefing" before each course. We were also lucky to be the very first group in the morning, and there were only two drivers (plus instructor) per car. All of the instructors were professional drivers and we did experience a "hot lap" on each of the courses. I can certainly attest to the fact that there IS a difference between a self-proclaimed "good" everyday/autoX driver and a professional one! :wink: Now, on to the cars: [b]Legacy GT[/b] Overall the best, albeit not without (minor) shortcomings. Power delivery was good for an auto - slightly quicker response than the 4EAT in my Forester XT - but still left me a tad underwhelmed in terms of off-the-line acceleration (perhaps to be expected, since it is still an auto after all). Yet, clearly the best in terms of power and low-end torque. The AVCS worked wonderfully, as the difference between on- and off-boost was minimal, with plenty of torque always available. Handling was very good, but not quite as sharp at the limit as the BMW, which felt lighter and tighter. The Legacy wagon actually handled corners better than the sedan, since turn-in is better (can handle higher approach speed); on those short courses there was no noticeable difference between the two in terms of exiting a corner. The steering feel is adequate and sufficiently quick for (very) spirited driving, but may present some challenges for the serious autoXer (of course, the LGT isn't designed with that in mind, anyway). As SC GT mentioned, the BMW does feel more connected to the road, and inspires more confidence at the limit. As with most production cars, understeer was still present in the LGT, although the car handles almost neutrally for a longer period of time before understeering at the limit. Traction is, unsurprisingly, where the LGT excels, even with the infamous RE92's. The car felt glued to the track all the time, even when going over a sand patch on the handling course under (moderate) acceleration. The Volvo felt "floaty" over the same patch with very light throttle, and the BMW did skid a little before its traction control kicked in and noticeably slowed the car down. Overall, I think the LGT is a truly excellent GT vehicle in absolute terms, and when one factors in value then it is simply outstanding and nothing else currently available comes close. The LGT does everything it was designed to do either very well or perfectly - one cannot ask for much more! :) [b]BMW 325i[/b] Overall a nice tight package with near-perfect interior and exterior design, sharp steering and excellent road feel, superb handling, but considerably underpowered and somewhat overpriced. [b]Volvo S60[/b] Very nice, solid exterior design, very good interior ergonomics (despite an excess of plastic surfaces), best seats of the three cars tested, good power/torque levels but not best delivery (significant turbo lag), vague steering and most unconnected road feel, massive understeering. A nice car for the highway, but definitely not for any kind of spirited driving. Like the BMW, somewhat overpriced.

Guess it's just another thing that some of NE people have to wait for. Glad you guys enjoyed the ride. Curious, is anyone allowed to drive the cars, as long as they signed up for a timeslot? Just curious, because I got the whole crew (gf, brother, his gf) going to the one close to Philly on Spt 11th. Any info. is all good...and enjoy the rides, for those that have yet to do so. Later, i.

I don't know. When I signed up for it on the website, it asked for the name of my guest. So, I assume if you didn't identify the person at the time you signed up, that person won't get to drive. He/she might get to ride, though, as long as he/she signs a waiver and release.

[url]www.rideanddrive.net[/url] MarkyD, you missed the boat. Dallas already happened, and it was cool. Not cool enough to fly up to Chicago to theirs, but still good. I don't think that you can substitute a person because they have the names on their computer to print up ID tags. The best thing to do would be to sign them up. Looks like they are going to overbook the upcoming events which kinda sucks because then you don't get as much seat time like what happened with me. Getting a hot lap from the instructor would have helped a TON to see the proper driving line and so forth.

[quote name='axis008']What if I signed someone up (my dad), but I don't bring him. Can I "substitute" my dad for someone else?[/quote] I would assume so. They'll need to fill the slot with a driver anyway. Or, you can tell your "dad" to take a hike and do two laps yourself in each car instead of only one.

[quote name='SC GT'][quote name='axis008']What if I signed someone up (my dad), but I don't bring him. Can I "substitute" my dad for someone else?[/quote] I would assume so. They'll need to fill the slot with a driver anyway. Or, you can tell your "dad" to take a hike and do two laps yourself in each car instead of only one.[/quote] Good idea! :D
-ben

[quote name='bbvoxfan']I was at the Ride and Drive on Saturday @ 2:30 in Inglewood... good event- in a few weeks, everyone who attended should receive a voucher for VIP pricing on the new Legacy..[/quote] Oh really? VIP pricing? Nice!
-ben

[quote name='bbvoxfan']I was at the Ride and Drive on Saturday @ 2:30 in Inglewood... good event- in a few weeks, everyone who attended should receive a voucher for VIP pricing on the new Legacy..[/quote] After the R&D in Dallas, I received mine the following Thursday. It's valid for 45 days from the event essentially.

[quote name='PPower'][quote name='bbvoxfan']I was at the Ride and Drive on Saturday @ 2:30 in Inglewood... good event- in a few weeks, everyone who attended should receive a voucher for VIP pricing on the new Legacy..[/quote] After the R&D in Dallas, I received mine the following Thursday. It's valid for 45 days from the event essentially.[/quote] Oh, darn. Was hoping it was till like next year or something, haha. Ok, thanks though!
-ben

Those of you who got vouchers and coupons should all thank me for posting the R&D link! :P Also, I wouldn't mind if someone gives me a VIP voucher. If it's transferable, that is. :)

This Space For Rent

Archived