LegacyGT.com

Mr. Clean Autodry

*not sure if this is the proper forum or not so mods do what you need to do* Seeing as this is my first black car I've owned. I decided to pick up the Mr. Clean car cleaning kit. I've spoken to some friends who have used it and most seem to like it, some didn't. Well I decided to pull the trigger and spend the $20. I'm very very pleased with the results. I followed the directions, and the results were positive. I let it sit and dry, without wiping anything, and didn't see a single water spot. There were a couple areas on the roof mainly by the sunroof where water collected and I used a towel to take care of those. But other than that no spots.

One word of warning, we used the MrClean Auto Dry system on my wife's car ('03 Legacy) for about 6 months, although the car dried itself...after time the finish got very dull and rough to the touch. In order to get the car looking good again it took two full days of claying, and polishing. I personally won't use it anymore, saving me 10 minutes of drying isn't worth the effects it had on the paint.

I'm also skeptical of the Autodry. I have been using the same Cali Water Blade for 6 years now and it works great. You still need a towel to get the detail areas like window corners, door jambs etc., but it works really well. What *would* be very helpful is a filter for my garden hose that removes the minerals, similar to the Mr. Clean but without the soap dispensing part. -Nick

[quote name='Opie']One word of warning, we used the MrClean Auto Dry system on my wife's car ('03 Legacy) for about 6 months, although the car dried itself...after time the finish got very dull and rough to the touch. In order to get the car looking good again it took two full days of claying, and polishing. I personally won't use it anymore, saving me 10 minutes of drying isn't worth the effects it had on the paint.[/quote] did you wax it afterwards?

Guest *Jedimaster*
I love the Mister Clean Autodrywash thingy. I used it first on my WRX- which was black- it really does leave no spots when it dries! I don't use the sopa though- it comes out too slow and doesn't clean very well. I just use the autodry setting to rinse.

[quote name='Opie']One word of warning, we used the MrClean Auto Dry system on my wife's car ('03 Legacy) for about 6 months, although the car dried itself...after time the finish got very dull and rough to the touch. In order to get the car looking good again it took two full days of claying, and polishing. I personally won't use it anymore, saving me 10 minutes of drying isn't worth the effects it had on the paint.[/quote] I also was using Auto Dry for a while (it does work as advertised), but I was also noticing that water would not bead up on my Klasse AIO finish as well as when I used regular car shampoo. I suspect Auto Dry works in part by leaving behind a film of the cleaning solution to help sheet off the water. It's probably the film that builds up over time and causes a rough finish. Ken

Guest *Jedimaster*
Not true. The Autodry part works by filtering out the chemicals found in tap water that leaves spots and residue behind. I recommend not using their carwash soap- use something else- better and cheaper. No. 7 works very well.

Archived