LegacyGT.com

16g Turbo?

Hey, so im thinking of getting the 16g turbo before mine blows. Currently have 123,443 miles on 5eat. All stock ecept for k&N air filter and cobb stage 1. Planning on getting up/down pipe the same time. My question is will i need to replace anything else when doing this. I heard maybe tmic? Would love to get some feed back. Thanks

TMIC isn't required. But to get the most out of it you should consider it. For now, I have the bulletproof kit that Barmanbean sells (metal straps around the stock intercooler)

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/bulletproof-tmic-mod-lgt-08-wrx-158870.html

Make sure you are up to speed on all recommended maintenance (timing belt, water pump, etc).

Consider an EBCS and a new fuel pump

TMIC isn't required. But to get the most out of it you should consider it. For now, I have the bulletproof kit that Barmanbean sells (metal straps around the stock intercooler)

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/bulletproof-tmic-mod-lgt-08-wrx-158870.html

Make sure you are up to speed on all recommended maintenance (timing belt, water pump, etc).

Consider an EBCS and a new fuel pump

When i bought from the dealer last month they replaced water pump, timing belt, hoses and radiator. I know i need new spark plugs to and removing the banjo filter near the turbo. will definantley get the bullet proof kit.

• Moderators
can anyone recommend the brand of 16g to buy?

Lots of folks run BNR turbos. If it were me, I would suggest you get in touch with John Pierce (jmp6889928) to discuss what you are looking for. He's pumping out some great upgraded custom turbos for our cars.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

• Moderators
What is the install time

Couple hours if you know what you are doing. Undo 2 motor mounts, jack engine up a bit. Remove pan. Clean surface, swap pickup tube. Reinstall everything. Let the new oilpan gasket cure--can be up to 24hrs depending on product used.

I loved my BNR 16g unit. great driveability on a 5eat DD, was 26x/whp 300wtq for 45k or so.

JMP is a great new option on market to have him build your unit into a custom VF40.

or a VF52 from the boards here makes for a great core to have him build.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/ca-vf-52turbo-sale-10k-miles-247602.html

kinugawa 16g are pretty decent too,

remember 120k+ of factory tune might kill you come more power and accelerate further failures.

Killer Bee is great choice for pick up. I snagged a moroso pan than came with moroso pick up, but either is great to ditch the stocker.

New OCV's or clean yours

clean your crank, cam, and MAf senors,

New front o2 sensor

lwcp is a great feel improvement mod for the 5eat

look into valvebody mod,

and most certainly a trans cooler with derale thermostat

Second the kinguawa turbo. Have the 16g with my 5eat and its really nice. Plus it comes everything such as the oil lines spacers for the turbo , restrictor pill , all that. Only thing to watch out for is the TGV motor. Alot of the larger ones need you to remove the motors or delete the flaps all together.

I bought an auto be more involved in my uninvolvedness . 200k+ Club

If you can't blind them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.

My high mileage turd.

Second the kinguawa turbo. Have the 16g with my 5eat and its really nice. Plus it comes everything such as the oil lines spacers for the turbo , restrictor pill , all that. Only thing to watch out for is the TGV motor. Alot of the larger ones need you to remove the motors or delete the flaps all together.

Where should i buy from? And what is the TGV motor. sorry newbie here!!

Killuminati. Take some time and read through these threads and the links they refer to. The knowledge in the threads should give you a good baseline to start from before you consider upgrading.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/my05-09-legacy-gt-common-issues-230230.html

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/idea-web-links-saved-various-parts-219238.html

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

oh and someone around here does tunes for these cars with your proposed upgrades.......just trying to remember who that is :)

Let me know if you have any in depth questions as well when you get to that point and I'm happy to offer parts and recommendations.

Dave

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Providing unmatched customer service and a Premium level of Dyno/E-tuning to the Community

cryotuneperformance@yahoo.com

facebook.com/cryotuneperformance.

If i go through with this turbo is it a pretty big upgrade to the vf40? Will my engine be taking a beating?

16g is a pretty good turbo for entry level power gaining. The engine will handle it well as well as the transmission. TGV's are installed in after the manifold to cut down on cold start emissions. The larger turbos push on the TGV causing to either throw a CEL or pervent the flaps from working correctly. You can remove them and tune the car to be used without them. Just keep in mind that this endeavor for more power will cost a great deal. For a simple turbo upgrade, id say your looking at at least 1500-2000 buying the turbo , tune labor, other small things.

Also , some reading material here.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/turboi-wiki-twist-178684.html

I bought an auto be more involved in my uninvolvedness . 200k+ Club

If you can't blind them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit.

My high mileage turd.

• Moderators
oh and someone around here does tunes for these cars with your proposed upgrades.......just trying to remember who that is :)

Let me know if you have any in depth questions as well when you get to that point and I'm happy to offer parts and recommendations.

Dave

^^^Dave wasn't clear enough here. *HE* does tuning and provides fantastic customer service and great tunes. Shoot him a message :)

Thanas for all the great info.. $ I have about $2500 to spend come Febuary. I already ordered a grimmspeed ceramic coated up pipe. Getting a cobb downpipe. B killer oil pick up. 16g turbo. Please recommend the things I will need when I install these. I'm at 124,000 miles. I found a reliable Mechanic who's doing all the work except for tune. With good prices. And removing banjo filters as well. And bullet proof kit for tmic

Here is the list I would do.

Hexmods F1 Valve body mod (are these still available?)

BP the TMIC (see BarManBeans signature)

Replace the fuel pump (DW65c is a good option)

EBCS (go with whichever one your tuner recommends)

do everything Quck4dr recommended

Do all service items

add anything else your tuner recommends (go with a trusted tuner - like Cryo who is awesome), I think Cobb surgeline is near you (Sgt Gator - drives a race car legacy wagon gets tuned there)

Archived