LegacyGT.com

08 OBXT 153k

So Friday I'm planning to buy an 08 OBXT and then promptly drive it 2k miles from Asheville NC to SLC. It looks like it's been well taken care of. The interior looks nearly new and the current owner has all the records and recent maintenance and carfax shows that it's had all the recommended maintenance since the first owner.

The rear end links are starting to show some wear and it still has the banjo bolt filter. Owner was told not to worry about it as it's had synthetic oil and 3750 OCI with the last one less than 1k miles ago.

So my questions are mostly, what, if anything, do I specifically need to check before driving it cross country? Everything seems in solid shape but should I pull the banjo bolt filter? I can't actually seem to find if you do indeed need to pull the turbo on the 08 to do that. It's the original turbo but it did need the valves redone around 130k which from what I can tell is what happens when you push the car hard too often due to the stock tune.

Also I've never owned a turbo car, or sporty car. I drive a 260k 99 civic right now so I don't really have a solid idea of sound or feel during boost and what have you. I do have an extra 4k or so for any sort of repairs and rebuilds. I plan to tint the windows and I'm thinking replace sway bars and end links and rear struts and springs pretty quickly. I'm not looking to do any power mods. I don't drive that hard but I like to have fun every now and then and I want to not have wonky handling when I load up 4 people, bikes, and camping gear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 speed manual or automatic? Check the areas where the block mates with the head for residue, potential head gasket issues. If you’re able to pull the plugs check their condition, the front ones are easy for a newb the rears are more challenging, but the fronts will give you an idea of condition. Check the coolant for weird discoloration, smell. Check the axles for tears on the boots. check trans fluid level, condition. Air filter condition. Jack it up grab the wheels firmly check for play and slop, ball joints and wheel bearing can be apparent this way. While it’s jacked up look at tie rods. Look for leaking steering rack, usually wet around the boot. Check power steering pump for leaks, wetness. Check accessory drive belts for cracking, look carefully at crank pulley it’s a two piece design known to delaminate and fail. Check for major rust issues. Anything else is aesthetic, maybe I’m forgetting something but those are major issues that could potentially give you a bad time on your trip, the torn axle boots not so much but if they’re in bad enough condition maybe.

The banjo filters in the 07-09 are not a big issue as they are in the 05-06's. they are up top on the 07-09's and IMO self clean every time the oil drain oil of them, when the engine is shut off...

My 09 still has them.

Bring extra oil with you and always top off the oil every time you check it. Good luck getting a true oil level reading. A little to much oil is better then not enough oil.

For a new guy, ^ Outblack seems to know these cars.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Sorry it's a 5MT

So spark plugs, lifter valves, and timing belt were done 15k ago and looks like the rest of the belts about 10k ago along with radiator although I don't see a note on what fluid was used. I have a terrible sense of smell so unless it's a really noticeable thing I wouldn't get it but I'll certainly look at all that visually. I'll make sure I bring my spark plug socket with me. Unfortunately can't bring the full tool box on the plane. Front hub, wheel bearings, sway bar end links and bushings were done 2k ago and tie rods were inspected then but I can give them a tug again. My current vehicle has worn tie rods and it isn't fun.

Is the crank pulley the big one? Lower center? I'll take a better look but it looked OK. I'm assuming it would be pretty obvious but what do you mean by delaminating?

There is some light surface rust on the under body bits and a little more serious surface rust on the mufflers. I think it all looks alright though.

It's all been detailed so the engine area looks pretty clean. I think it's been a few hundred miles. Would I be able to see any head gasket weeping in that time frame?

Yea that's what I've been gathering about the banjo bolts. But I want to keep the vehicle for a long time. Good tip on the oil.

I've spent a lot of time looking at them and was given an opportunity to get one. I just want a manual awd wagon that's kinda sporty and fun. The manual and wagon part are pretty non negotiatable and I hate SUVs. Even the next generation and on outback look gross to me. Thought about lowering one and removing the roof rails. I drove a new golf sportwagen and hated it so these are kinda really the only option anymore haha. And I really do plan to keep it for 10+ years. I've had my civic since 07 and plan to keep it and make it into an art car.

Sounds like the previous owner took care of it, like max capacity said keep oil in the vehicle...I check mine every time I fill up, you’ll notice higher oil consumption after hard driving. Just ask what weight oil is in it already, best not to mix. I run Rotella 5w-40 diesel oil in mine and I’d recommend it to anyone, just my .02

As for crank pulley there are a lot of options and you can find them used a lot but you’re going to want to replace it with a one piece sooner than later....they have a picture of a failed crank pulley on here https://www.grimmspeed.com/lightweight-crank-pulley-subaru/

Max capacity, I’m a long time lurker/owned turbo ej’s For about 12 years, I’m no expert but I know a bit about these cars :cool:

My wife has an '05. Essentially the same car, OBXT with manual. We bought it new and when ever I drive it, I'm reminded what an awesome car it is. When we 1st got it, she got cheap thrills blowing Mustang GTs off the stop lights.

You will love it. We have had some problems with check engine lights, but think we sorted them out we new coils.

Have fun.

Well unfortunately I do love it but it blew the turbo halfway home. I've got another thread up about it.

I wasnt trying to be the negative LGTer to tell you to not do this, seems I should have stuck with my gut feeling.