LegacyGT.com

06 XT Turbo Wastegate sticking

After installing my junkyard engine, I didn't think it was boosting. So today I discovered my wastegate was frozen solid. After some further troubleshooting, I've found that the wastegate shaft going through the housing has backed out causing the flapper valve (or whatever you call it) to bind against the inside of the turbo housing. Even when I finally got it to move into the "closed" position, it's not covering the bypass hole inside the turbo. I'll attach two pictures for comparison, one from the turbo off my old engine where the valve works, and the turbo on the car. You can see the differences in the exposed shaft. Any idea what would have caused this? Is this unusual and is there a known fix short of pulling the turbo off?

Tom

1258071661_freevalve.thumb.jpg.f2e4e5fdae8074d04ea3978426383e26.jpg

718325785_FrozenValve.thumb.jpg.5cd5fffa0198685f40275965e52f9d06.jpg

I’d assume that little roll pin that you can see in the left picture is either missing, worn or broken. I’m not 100% sure but I’d be willing to bet that retains the flapper assembly into the turbine housing. Are they the same turbo and is your old turbine housing in good shape? If it is I’d swap them. Easy peasy

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks KZR750r1. I wish I would have read this a couple days ago. I could have easily swapped out the hot side. I didn't realize how easy that would have been. What is a 16G?

I'm thinking of buying a CHRA and just rebuilding the spare turbo that I have. Those CHRAs run anywhere from $75-$400+. I'm not educated enough on turbos to know the difference, but this car won't be seeing hard driving so I may go towards the lower end and see what happens.

16g is a hybred from BNR turbos.

You may want to reach out to JmP6889928 and see if he can rebuild your spare unit. He can upgrade (need tune) or go stock. Many folks have been happy with his services and turnaround. But I'm not sure if he's taking on any more so you may want to shoot him a PM.

• 2 months later...