LegacyGT.com

'06 to '09 hood swap

Tomorrow, I'm gonna travel 90 miles to get a hood that I'm pretty sure will fit my car. The guy I'm getting it from says it will only fit a '05-'06 Legacy. I wouldn't be double guessing myself but the guy seems pretty confident.

I'm thinking that these fourth generation hoods should fit any '05-'09, plus the hoods for sale on the internet are all advertised for '05-'09 Legacys. Sounds interchangeable within the generation to me.

So will a '06 non-scoop Legacy hood will fit an '09 n/a Legacy? Has anybody done this? I figure I should ask the experts first.

It is the same hood 05-09 Subaru Legacy GT and Outback XT Subaru part no.57229AG04A9P. Confirm that is the hood he has and you should be golden.

08-09 facelift cars have different headlights,fenders,fender well liners, foglights, bumper, and bumper beam but the hood remained the same.

Edited by Gex

I can't speak about the N/As, but specifically for Outbacks. The 05-07 hoods are different than the 08-09 hoods. 08-09 we get a steel hood.

@OP, compare pictures of your 06 to an 09. I think there was a mid-cycle face lift done. Unsure if this will affect them fit of the hood. It looks like the headlights are different between those years.

Edited by Rhitter

You guys are all over the place. Here are the facts: 05-09 Legacy hoods are all the same. 05-07 Outback hoods are the same as 05-09 Legacy. 08-09 Outback are unique.

Edit: I meant the 05-07 Outback is interchangeable to the Legacy, not the same. The NA Outback has these stamped ridges in the hood, but is the same shape otherwise. I think the XT hood is identical to the GT hood, though.

Sometimes people with be sort of correct in saying a Legacy hood only fits certain years IF the paint color was only offered in certain years.

Edited by Dispatch20

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

With all due respect, Max, I do think your wrong. Opposed Forces lists the same hood part number for 05-09. The fenders, grills, headlights, bumper are different sizes, but the hood is the same.

http://opposedforces.com/parts/legacy/us_b13/type_2/body_equipment_exterior/front_hood_and_front_hood_lock/

57229AG03A9P

Or am I missing something?

You guys are all over the place. Here are the facts: 05-09 Legacy hoods are all the same. 05-07 Outback hoods are the same as 05-09 Legacy. 08-09 Outback are unique.

Edit: I meant the 05-07 Outback is interchangeable to the Legacy, not the same. The NA Outback has these stamped ridges in the hood, but is the same shape otherwise. I think the XT hood is identical to the GT hood, though.

Sometimes people with be sort of correct in saying a Legacy hood only fits certain years IF the paint color was only offered in certain years.

This is right.

If you click under 'Usage information' you'll see that any all NA 05-09 hoods are interchangeable (http://opposedforces.com/parts/info/57229AG03A9P/#)

Just to confuse things, I just bought a aluminum 05-09 Legacy GT hood for my 09 OBXT BUT I also have an entire JDM Outback facelifted front end.

Edited by WRX USA

With all due respect, Max, I do think your wrong. Opposed Forces lists the same hood part number for 05-09. The fenders, grills, headlights, bumper are different sizes, but the hood is the same.

http://opposedforces.com/parts/legacy/us_b13/type_2/body_equipment_exterior/front_hood_and_front_hood_lock/

57229AG03A9P

Or am I missing something?

Nope, the bumpers are different hence the grill differences.

OK, I posted that before I refreshed my page and saw the debate happening. I wish I asked about the fender before i picked that up too.

Max, I'm looking at your (very nice) cars and I'm trying to find the differences? Do you think that the two pieces that come down next to the grill are different lengths? Or is it more by the headlights 'cause I see how the headlights are different on the fender now. You wouldn't mind switching your hoods to see, would ya? lol

I might just have to see if the guy can find a part number. My hood is looking real bad with bubbling and paint peeling so I really want this to work out.

I spelled out pretty much all you need for the facelift. I forgot to put the grill but the rest is right as was my first post.

Don't forget the headlight/bumper mounting brackets that sit below the headlights.

The grill's are different. I also believe the head lights are a little different along the top edge too, by the hood, but have not really measured.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

I might just have to see if the guy can find a part number. My hood is looking real bad with bubbling and paint peeling so I really want this to work out.

Just buy the hood. It will fit. There is no debate or uncertainty. 0 risk.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

2005-2009 Legacy share the same hood.

2005-2007 Outback share the same hood.

2008-2009 Outback is unique to Outback only.

You can interchange 2005-2009 Legacy NA with 2005-2007 Outback NA, the Outback hood has 2 raised ridges down the hood in the middle, that Legacy doesn't have but they will still fit Legacy or Outback.

2005-2009 Legacy GT and 2005-2007 Outback XT share the same hood.

2008-2009 Outback XT will only fit these 2 years.

Just putting this out there because I couldn't easily find it when doing google search. Lots of mis-information.

Keep in mind that Subaru produced both aluminum and steel hoods throughout the years. I do not remember, off the top of my head, exactly when they produced aluminum vs. steel.

I want to say all 2005-2007 hoods (2.5i/LGT/SpecB/OBXT) was aluminum

&

2008 and 2009 were steel (maybe not on the LGT/SpecB).

No one seems to be able to confirm. There are numerous threads. Owners, plant workers, ppl who have toured the factory. I'm certain that all 2005 & 2006 hoods are aluminum. My 2.5i is aluminum. I can't speak for 2008 and 2009 with certainty.

Just additional trivial info.

MILKRUN  - Click Here

Keep in mind that Subaru produced both aluminum and steel hoods throughout the years. I do not remember, off the top of my head, exactly when they produced aluminum vs. steel.

I want to say all 2005-2007 hoods (2.5i/LGT/SpecB/OBXT) was aluminum

&

2008 and 2009 were steel (maybe not on the LGT/SpecB).

No one seems to be able to confirm. There are numerous threads. Owners, plant workers, ppl who have toured the factory. I'm certain that all 2005 & 2006 hoods are aluminum. My 2.5i is aluminum. I can't speak for 2008 and 2009 with certainty.

Just additional trivial info.

My 09 Spec B has a aluminum hood and trunk lid. Which is in line with what I thought. All 4th Gen Legacy GT's have Al. hoods, trunk lids or rear hatches on the wagon's.

Edited by Max Capacity