LegacyGT.com

05 LGT sedan trunk problems

Longitude

Hey Socal long time no post.

Amongst other wear and tear with my 2005 Legacy GT sedan, the trunk no longer wants to stay up open, and it forcefully closes itself. I've searched and read up on tension rods etc but I've no experience with adjusting/fixing them and am unsuccessful in attempts. Can someone help? I'm in San Diego thanks.

Long, you cant adjust the torsion rods. If they are that weak they need to be replaced. I dont have a special tool for it. I have done it before, but admittedly its a bit sketchy as those rods are under a LOT of stress.

A body shop might have a tool.

None of them "pop" open. They just release. The torsions dont have enough energy to spring the lid up. Now take a winged STi lid and swap it with a wingless WRX lid (and dont swap the torsions too). WRX trunk needs manual labor to lift it and the STi trunk can take your chin off with a Mike Tyson upper cut.

Long, you cant adjust the torsion rods. If they are that weak they need to be replaced. I dont have a special tool for it. I have done it before, but admittedly its a bit sketchy as those rods are under a LOT of stress.

A body shop might have a tool.

Mike thanks. I do not know whether the rods are just displaced and/or worn out. I will look into getting new parts to be replaced.

Archived