LegacyGT.com

05 Legacy Immobilizer Antenna Location HELP!

Hi Everyone-

Have an 05 Legacy GT, key has transponder.

Car has 130k, it's an 05, not really worried about someone stealing the car- live in MT- car theft little to none in my area.

What I am trying to figure out is where the antenna/receiver that reads the transponder chip is located.

-The STi key blanks are same cut as my car blank and I can get online for $30, but cannot get with transponder for my car. (and don't want to pay dealer to program- not looking to spend that much)

-I've shaved my key down to remove the transponder from the key-

---my plan-- to glue the transponder as close as possible to the receiver so it always reads the transponder as present. This way I can just cut regular keys, or the STi blanks to use in my car.-- Not overly concerned I am losing the transponder security feature- and happy I can save a lot on keys- etc.

I have tried placing the transponder around the ignition, right below the key hole to the ignition, all around--- some areas get a good signal, but nothing is reliable or consistent.

--Need to know where receiver is located without tearing my dash apart and I have been unable to find diagram showing location.--

Planning on super gluing transponder as close as possible....and then adding super glue to ensure the small chip doesn't fall off at any time.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance for the help and reading the post-

-Ryan

--After thinking about the cheapest, easiest way to go around transponder, and not have to but additional keys or make the 80 mile drive to the dealer, or cutting wires or messing with the electrical- this is the best thing I have though up-- Any other recommendations are welcome!

Thank You Apexi. Just the diagram I was looking for. Removed column and superglued transponder 1mm next to the antenna; surprised at how must closer transponder chip has to be compared to when located in the key. I had tried many locations 4-7mm away from transponder receiver antenna, but chip was not recognized. It is now bypassed and using STi blanks, very satisfied! Thanks so much for the help.

Guess it would only matter if I was carrying full coverage- the day this Subie goes...I'll be getting another. Sure if I was carrying full coverage; and an auto theft did happen where I live- which would be like winning the lottery- I don't think the first words out of my mouth would be "I overrode my immobilizer chip"...Only need liability as I am the one who usually gets hit by other dumb drivers; and value of the car isn't enough to carry full coverage. Not a concern at all.

If you research how any remote starts are installed with immobilizers; you'll find many require an additional key to be in the car to allow the remote start to operate. Wonder if all the stereo/car shops tell their customers to update their insurance companies.

im almost positive the immobilizer was only standard on 06+, i have a viper in my 05 and it has no immobilizer in it. pop the steering column plastic off and unplug any harness attached to the cylinder and crank it, if it starts then no immobilizer.

The 2005 factory service manual says it's on select models, but I couldn't find specifically which ones in the FSM. Cars101 says that in 2005 only the GT's had immobilizer keys, and from 2006+ all legacy models had immobilizer keys.

Archived