LegacyGT.com

05 Dies When Stopping

Hi guys....I have an 05 Legacy wagon 2.5i non turbo sohc 4eat trans, and when cold, usually after getting into 4th, and on the 1st hard stop of the day, she'll jerk, shudder, and want to die. After that, we're usually fine for the rest of the day unless she's been sitting for awhile and then the same thing happens. I've done a few trans drain and refills with filter, new egr, throttle body cleaned, MAF and MAP cleaned, checked for vac leaks, new plugs and wires. Been reading about duty solenoids in the trans and was wondering if anyone can suggest anything to try. Much appreciated!

Gar

Hi guys....I have an 05 Legacy wagon 2.5i non turbo sohc 4eat trans, and when cold, usually after getting into 4th, and on the 1st hard stop of the day, she'll jerk, shudder, and want to die. After that, we're usually fine for the rest of the day unless she's been sitting for awhile and then the same thing happens. I've done a few trans drain and refills with filter, new egr, throttle body cleaned, MAF and MAP cleaned, checked for vac leaks, new plugs and wires. Been reading about duty solenoids in the trans and was wondering if anyone can suggest anything to try. Much appreciated!

Gar

have you check your battery and its terminals? weak/old battery and rusty terminals may little sensitive to cold..

Edited by markc0220k

The fluid needs to be warm to properly lubricate, but it sounds like your torque converter could be going bad or you need to let the car warm up a little before driving.

Based on that, I would say the torque convertor is going bad as these cars really don't need to be "warmed up" before you drive.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Based on that, I would say the torque convertor is going bad as these cars really don't need to be "warmed up" before you drive.

Only reason I suspect different is because it goes away once the car is warmed up. Torque converter failure typically happens all the time. The older these cars get, the more they need to be babied.

Also not sure if the 4eat has a manual mode if so try manually shifting up to 4th and then watch to see if when slowing down it downshifts automatically or hangs up in a gear.

Tried that today and it shifted down like its supposed to. I will try in "Sport Mode" also. Thanks!

The tranny downshifts fine when in both manual and Sport mode. It's just when I'm in drive, that the torque converter clutch won't unlock from 4th gear causing the stalling. A local, well respected, dealer mentioned that they are only allowed to replace the torque converter, replace the valve body, or replace the transmission. He did imply that solenoids can be obtained from sources outside the dealer.

Over on the Outback forum someone found a bad throttle connection on one of the wire either at the gas pedal or the throttle body.

See if you have a loose connector.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Over on the Outback forum someone found a bad throttle connection on one of the wire either at the gas pedal or the throttle body.

See if you have a loose connector.

Thanks MC....someone named Sea Bass on the Outback forum posted this:

Have you monitored trans temps? If the fluid is too cold, it will not lock up...at least with the 05-06. It does this to raise the fluid temp to normal operating temp. If you have a atf cooler in cold weather, or if you have a failing sensor, or just for some reason the temps are staying down, it could cause lockup issues from the tcu keeping it unlocked.

So, do you know where the tranny temp sensor is on the 5eat ?

Here's the service manual.

http://people.csail.mit.edu/ilh/vacation/

Call John at IPT. He can probably give you some ideas of what it can be if it’s trans related and what your options are.

Thanks Dave. I called them and spoke with Ken. He said that it was likely valve body related. One option would be for me to take out the VB and ship it to them for inspection. Mentioned something about a steel valve inside an aluminum housing and different expansion/contraction rates. Sounds like they know what they're talking about so I appreciate the referral! Gar