LegacyGT.com

98 GT clutch issue

Hi, originally posted this in the wrong area so I'm reposting it here..

So about 3 months ago I bought a 98 Legacy GTB wagon. First thing I did was get all the fluids changed, including the clutch fluid. Since then, although unknown if it's a direct result of the change, I find if I use the clutch a lot then it gets a 'deadzone'.

To explain; When I first jump in, I only have to push the clutch down like an inch and it engages great. If I have to do a drive which requires a lot of clutch use, such as around town, then after a while when the car's all warmed up, I have to press the clutch peddle further and further in before it engages. It gets to the point where this 'deadzone' takes up almost the entire stroke of the peddle, and its only the last little inch that has to be pressed right to the floor which engages the clutch.

When it gets that bad, the peddle will stay half pressed down, unless I put my foot behind it and apply some force to 'pop' it back out. Though, even when it stays half down, it doesn't make any difference because the clutch is still not engaged, or even riding.

If I leave it for the night, come back the next morning, the first press of the peddle will be exactly the same deadzone, but then after that it's back to the normal peddle where I only have to press it 1 inch to engage it.

I've been driving like it for a few weeks now, I don't usually do long drives so it typically occurs not far from my home and so I never bother about it. But I'm a little worried one day I'm going to need to do a lot of down driving and it's going to get so bad even full peddle down may not engage the clutch.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys,

Chris.

i have had the same problem there might be a leak in the system so even if you bleed it it wont be a permanent fix. but bleed it first and see if that works then if the symptoms come back there is a leak i would suggest its in your clutch hose thats where mine was.

• 4 years later...

Figured while I'm back here I should give an update. So I drove the clutch like this for about 3 years before I finally bit the bullet and replaced the clutch itself. Made a world of difference.

The clutch had got so bad that almost every time I drove the car the peddle would 'fade' until only the last inch or so of the full peddle movement would do anything to engage the clutch. Another issue also developed where if I had been driving along in 5th gear for a while and took my foot off the accelerator, it would pop back into neutral.

Paid the cash, got a new clutch, it was like driving a new car. Still no idea why a dying clutch was causing the peddle to fade but anyway problem solved.